Brightness not working on wake on desktop PC (locked level from prior to sleep)

wolfie81

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

Cant work out whats going on. In all my years of hackintosh, haven't had this issue until now (was even stable until the last point update).

I have 2x Apple 27inch Cinema Displays hooked up to my PC. I use the Apple bluetooth keyboard without issue.

On fresh boot, brightness keys control the monitor brightness no problem. On wake from sleep, I either get no movement of the bars for brightness on the screen (it just shows as a circle) or I get my near full brightness with the level but it is fixed in that one position on the screen. The brightness level is fixed to the level that was prior to sleep.

I dont see it as a USB issue as the keyboard works fine for everything else. It seems to be a software glitch but I dont know how for where to look. Could it be an NVRAM issue? A Clover issue?
Any ideas?

Thank you.

I have a 1080ti on a 67700k Z170 Gigabyte Designaire board.

Edited by wolfie81

57 minutes ago, Allan said:

Do you use the last version of Clover and Nvidia Webdrivers?

About NVRam, you can try clean it:

Thank you for your reply.

I have the latest clover and Nvidia boot drivers (along with latest shiki, Nvidiagraphicsfixup, and Lilu.

Do I type this in clover boot screen or just in terminal in macOS?

I have added my clover folder (minus all identifying system numbers). Im not sure if there is something related to NVRAM or EMUVariable (do I need it and is it related?)

EDIT: Im struggling to upload the zipped file of Clover. It seems to hang in 'Queued

Edited by wolfie81

13 hours ago, Allan said:

Gigabyte has the native NVRam, so it's not necessaru you use EMUVariable driver.

The command you'll run it on Terminal.app

Hi Allan, I have run the terminal app multiple times and rebooted to no success. Ive also ensured I do not have the EMUVariable driver. I still have the problem where brightness is fixed to what it was prior to sleep. I find it hard to believe this is just me experiencing it. Do you have any other suggestions?

You can try this app: NativeDisplayBrightness.app.zip

MaLd0n 2018-02-03 às 00.57.24.png

https://github.com/Bensge/NativeDisplayBrightness/releases

*in some cases .app don't work, check patches in config.plist inside Clover folder Post Install

Source: [Guide] Sierra / High Sierra on mobos Serie 100 / 200 / 300 / SkyLake / KabyLake / CoffeeLake DSDT 
Credits: @MaLd0n

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Allan said:

Run this app, and upload the file result here.
RunMe
And you're right, HS seems to be a very problematic system.

Thank you. I hav run it (after it has woken from sleep) so when the brightness isn't working. However, I am getting a -200 file upload error and I dont know why :(

Can I email it to you?

Edited by wolfie81

22 minutes ago, wolfie81 said:

Hi Allan, have you had a chance to take a look at this yet?

Yep bro. But I can't do the upload right now.

I'm not available, sorry :wacko:

I'll sent your files ASAP.

17 hours ago, Allan said:

Here's: CLOVER.zip

Please, backup your current EFI folder. ^_^

I appreciate your help. Im sorry, it didn't work. I also had to disable 'Drop OEM' otherwise it wouldn't boot (circle with line running through it).

Any other ideas?

I also noticed, that when I disconnect the monitor from the 1080ti (DisplayPort) and reconnect it after it wakes up, the brightness works.

12 hours ago, wolfie81 said:

I also noticed, that when I disconnect the monitor from the 1080ti (DisplayPort) and reconnect it after it wakes up, the brightness works.

Hmmm, very strange.

Using HDMI this problem happens?

4 hours ago, Allan said:

Hmmm, very strange.

Using HDMI this problem happens?

I don’t have a hdmi monitor connected. It really is strange, that it works fresh on boot but gets affected after it wakes up. NVRAM and any sleep settings haven’t really changed. Does Darkwake status make a difference?