Deleted kexts, OSX stuck on boot, anything else to do on Recovery Mode Terminal?

giovanealex

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Sometimes I am a complete noob, so I deleted two kexts from S/L/E and now my Asus Q200E laptop with OS X El Capitan boot hangs on kernel panic. I still can enter go through Clover to reach Recovery Mode and use Terminal, so I've put the two kexts on a USB pendrive and after some struggle I've managed to succefully copy them using Terminal, but the boot is still stuck on kernel panic. As I remember, these are the commands I've typed:

mount -rw

cp -a /Volumes/usb-stick/name.kext /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/Extensions

Is there anything else I should do? Is anything wrong? Should I type some command else? For instance, should I type something to fix permissions and rebuild cache?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

When in the terminal, check if the kexts are copied. 

ls /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/Extensions/name-of-kext.kext

If it does not give a notice that the file or folder can not be found, it should be present. 

2018-03-20-135247_634x113_scrot.png.6e51a5b584173721cdfefcfc45315df1.png

(Second line reads in Dutch, "Can not get access to '.....' File or folder does not exist.)

If however you get a notice, try to copy the files again, this time with verbose output:

cp -a -v /Volumes/usb-stick/name.kext /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/Extensions

This way you can trace what goes wrong. 

After all is copied, repair and rebuild.

rm -f /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
touch /Volumes/my-osx-drive/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -u /Volumes/my-osx-drive

• Like 1