Where do I start?

Mikentosh2016

7 posts in this topic

I've been on my Hackintosh for about 15 months from El Capitan to Sierra.  Now I want to install High Sierra but can't find the installation page.  I saw it yesterday but didn't bookmark it.  I'm not even sure it was on this site.  I have an available SATA II SSD, a flash drive, High Sierra OS (downloaded months ago), Chameleon 2.3 svn r2716 zip and Chameleon 2.4 svn r2877 pkg.zip.

Please provide a step by step link.

Thanks,

Mikentosh

Well there are 2 ways you can go about making a USB installer which I assume is what you're wanting to do. You can use Terminal or make one manually. For someone new to Hackintosh I reckon use Terminal.

Here are the Terminal instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201372Note that by using this method you need to install Clover or Chameleon onto the USB afterwards.

Just make sure you don't have the High Sierra "Stub" application, you can do this by right clicking on it and selecting "Get Info" and if it's 5+GB you're good to go but if it's only 19MB you need the full installer.

Do all updates of your current OS first - there's a specific update for the App Store that's required.Once I applied it I was able to download the full High Sierra installer.

0000-1248

“For someone new to Hackintosh I reckon use Terminal.”

This build was using a install thumb drive made from another Mac. I will try Terminal this time.

Note that by using this method you need to install Clover or Chameleon onto the USB afterwards.

Yes. That is also what I wanted to use. I wasn’t sure which version.

Just make sure you don't have the High Sierra "Stub" application,...

Thanks. I will confirm.

Qwels

I downloaded High Safari months ago. I want to install on my second SSD, not upgrade the Sierra SSD.

Do all updates of your current OS first - there's a specific update for the App Store that's required.Once I applied it I was able to download the full High Sierra installer.

I have all the updates to the OS. I want to install on the secondary SSD due to my RAID being a platter drive and I’m not confident the new file system won’t corrupt it some how. Plus, Sierra is, with the exception of self reboot after shutdown, is stable. I want High Sierra to be fully reliable and operational before moving it from SATA II SSD to PCI SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few failed attempts to clean install High Sierra to a secondary SSD I'm considering upgrading my M2 SSD Sierra to High Sierra.  What can I expect to happen to my OWC external FireWire RAID, platter drive files?  I want to convert to APFS but I'm not confident that it won't corrupt files and documents.  Does changing the file system affect files and docs?