Clover update r4318 being detected as Osx.Malware.Proton

muffinbacon

8 posts in this topic

ClamAV is finding Osx.Malware.Proton-6377366-1 in the file Clover_v2.4k_r4318.pkg/CloverPrefpane.pkg/Payload

The extracted content of the Payload file isn't detected as anything, though. Is this just a false-positive? I downloaded it directly from their SourceForge page via the update dialog.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Slice, in all seriousness, is there a chance that your Clover development branch or something could have been compromised?  If this isn't a false positive, it is a serious issue.  Proton is a RAT trojan for macOS.  And I'm sure you're all familiar with the time Transmission's (the BitTorrent Client) site was compromised and was used to deliver Ransomware to macOS users who downloaded a compromised version of the software.  If not, then it's a false positive.  And to be fair, VirusTotal only shows that one AV showing Clover as infected.

But as to Clover itself, I can assure that it is 100% malware free under usual circumstances.  I've used it countless times before, and I'd even recommend that over Chameleon for BIOS-based computers.

Clover is open source. If someone doubt then he can compile the Clover by himself. He can also scan sources.

But I don't know what they mean "malware". Clover will change boot sector as a virus. 

• Like 2