installing winxp with parallels. Installation error

14 posts in this topic

so I'm trying to get winxp setup with paralells on my new macbook pro. Ive installed parallels fine and I can get the windows installer to run. But everytime it gets to "installing windows" in the windows installer it just sits there at '39 minutes remaing' and then eventually I get an error:

"one of the componenets that windows needs could not be installed. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error'

any ideas what is causing this? I thought it might be because I didnt have the mouse/keyboard captured in the window so i retried it witht he mouse clicked into the parallels window and still no dice.

I'd really like to get this going today because I need Matlab installed and I only have the windows version.

just reran it and I got a slightly different message

"One of the componenets that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

Error performing inpage operation

If you are installing from a CD there might be a problem with the disc

If you are installing for the network, it is possable that not all of the files were copied correctly to your disk drive"

thanks for any help you might have to offer

pedro

There are posts on the parallels forums complaining about the sound support in the latest builds. Evidentally the old 1848 build has working sound but crashes most newer Macs. The newer 1970 build has flakly sound but runs on the newer machines.

The Parallels team has a small window to get these small yet very annoying issues(chronic USB faults in particular) worked out before VMWare rolls right over them.

• 2 months later...
thanks, I managed to get it working. The windows CD must be on its last leg

I'm getting the same errors. What did you do to get it working? Just keep trying until it makes it through?

And, for anyone, is there any reason not to borrow a friend's XP cd and use my own activation code if I can't get my cd to work?

Thanks for any help, this is very frustrating!

just image the disc on your mac and burn again

Okay, I've tried that a few times and making the image always fails right at the end. I'm going to have to guess that the cd is bad... but is it possible that I just have a finicky cd drive and that it would work on a different drive (eg, a friend's computer or something)?