Leopard on PlayStation3

LeoVanGogh

20 posts in this topic

While Leopard is compatible with the PPC processor in the PS3, I'm not sure how much effort has been made to modify it to run on a PS3, especially since it's still not widely distributed.

You may have more luck getting Tiger on a PS3 for now.

How on earth would you run OS X on a Cell CPU?

The Cell CPU uses a similar architecture as the G5 (Power 970), but It wouldnt be compatible with OS X. That's just the CPU. Then you have the rest of the system architecture.

An example would be: "Why cant I run Xbox OS and Xbox Games on my PC?". Because Xbox OS and Xbox games were written with VERY specific hardware in mind.

"The Cell CPU uses a similar architecture as the G5 (Power 970), but It wouldnt be compatible with OS X. That's just the CPU. Then you have the rest of the system architecture. "

then how come that the same yellow dog linux run on both g5 powermac and playstation 3?

Sony will be offering pre-installed OS's on hard drives to plug and play with PS3

They are also focusing on making their own Sony/PlayStation OS :(

They already have their own OS :angel:

They are also officially supporting the effort to port Yellow Dog to PS3. So that's pretty cool (yet no one cares, because hating Sony for the failure of completely seperate divisions is fun!). And yes, that does mean emulators on PS3.

i would like to have mac os x running on the tool i most make use of.

thx for your help

and i would like 5 million dollars cash, a Porsche 911 996 Twin Turbo, and Carmen Electra.

thx for your help.

Honestly, what on earth were you thinking when you posted this? Let's drop everything and make sure LeoVanGogh can run OS X on his PS 3!

This will never happen, the Cell is not a supported processor without a lot of modification to system code, which only a few around here would know how to do. In addition, just like many others have said, there is the rest of the hardware to deal with.

It would be funny if someone here altered the OS X kernel to make it run on a PS3. I can just see Steve Jobs now. "We have to ditch Leopard for the PPC NOW!!!!! Only a handful of nerds are getting OS X x86 to run on a beige PC, but every kid over 5 is begging their mom for a PS3 for Xmas!"

It would be very amusing if you could run Leopard on a $300 consumer electronics toy.

EDIT: I think it would be funny. I'm sure most of Steve Job's {censored}lickers friends will think it's a nightmare.

Leo

I think we will see it no so far in the future. Once Apple releases the kernel sources for the ppc version it shouldn't be so difficult to modify the kernel. I mean pretty much all linux distros that can run on PPC are running on the PS3 as we speak. It only took a modification to the kernel.