ATI Radeon X1600 Pro - 5MB VRAM issue

iammodus

3 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I'm relatively new to the Hackintosh community. It's certainly not the first time someone has had a problem like this, but I thought I'd post it.

So, about a month ago, I picked up an HP Pavilion computer I had lying around from 2009, and I thought I'd try turning it into a Hackintosh just for kicks and giggles, so I knew what it was like before I tried installing it on my main PC. I'm using Clover as the bootloader.

Here are the specs:

MS-7525 motherboard

Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5ghz

ASUS ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Silent 512MB (device ID = 71c3)

4GB DDR2 RAM 800mhz

Seagate 320GB HDD

macOS Sierra seemed to return a kernel panic, probably because SSE 4.2 support is not present on the E5200 if I recall correctly.

El Capitan seemed to boot fine though, and I installed it. To my surprise, it booted on the first try. So I did some post-installation with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to get the audio working and the bootable hard drive.

So here I am, on El Capitan 10.11.

The only issue I'm still facing is the graphics card. Sure, it might be old, but I heard some people got it working with full QE/CI.

The thing is, it tells me it only has 5MB of VRAM. As a consequence, there are numerous screen artifacts (especially on logon, it's awful to watch), major slowdowns, no DVD playing support apparently, and most importantly, no QE/CI.

Things I've tried:

-FakeID

-MacLovin's Guide

-Reinstalling OSX

-Custom kexts

I'm hopeful about the DSDT thing, but I don't know what it is or how it works.

What should I do at this point? Should I try fixing it or straight up downgrade to an earlier version of OSX?

Thanks in advance  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Check this out this link.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/163190-ati-mobility-x1600-71c5-fully-working-kexts-tested-on-1056-and-1052/

It might help you. This GPU was used in some old macbooks/iMacs too I think. It might work but most of the post on google regarding this GPU stops at OS X Mountain Lion.

Hello there,

I'm relatively new to the Hackintosh community. It's certainly not the first time someone has had a problem like this, but I thought I'd post it.

So, about a month ago, I picked up an HP Pavilion computer I had lying around from 2009, and I thought I'd try turning it into a Hackintosh just for kicks and giggles, so I knew what it was like before I tried installing it on my main PC. I'm using Clover as the bootloader.

Here are the specs:

MS-7525 motherboard

Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5ghz

ASUS ATI Radeon X1600 Pro Silent 512MB (device ID = 71c3)

4GB DDR2 RAM 800mhz

Seagate 320GB HDD

macOS Sierra seemed to return a kernel panic, probably because SSE 4.2 support is not present on the E5200 if I recall correctly.

El Capitan seemed to boot fine though, and I installed it. To my surprise, it booted on the first try. So I did some post-installation with ##### to get the audio working and the bootable hard drive.

So here I am, on El Capitan 10.11.

The only issue I'm still facing is the graphics card. Sure, it might be old, but I heard some people got it working with full QE/CI.

The thing is, it tells me it only has 5MB of VRAM. As a consequence, there are numerous screen artifacts (especially on logon, it's awful to watch), major slowdowns, no DVD playing support apparently, and most importantly, no QE/CI.

Things I've tried:

-FakeID

-MacLovin's Guide

-Reinstalling OSX

-Custom kexts

I'm hopeful about the DSDT thing, but I don't know what it is or how it works.

What should I do at this point? Should I try fixing it or straight up downgrade to an earlier version of OSX?

Thanks in advance  ^_^

This card is really ancient and I think it's AGP. El Capitan doesn't have ATIRadeonX1000.kext, only ATIRadeonX2000.kext. My Leopard installation has it.

post-1096856-0-81294600-1505412369_thumb.png