Just Installed JaS 10.4.8 and my mouse and keyboard do not work..? [[SOLVED!]]

ForumSnoBorderRK

19 posts in this topic

hey guys just installed JaS 10.4.8 OSX on my

Dell XPS 400 Dekstop computer

Pentium D Dual Core

and i have the correct patches, thats not the case,

but in first-time-start-up screen (where it says to adjust your keyboard by pressing shift, yada yada)

it says "There is no keyboard plugged in, please plug one in"

and my mouse doesnt move around either..

I have a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard set

somebody help me :(

i finally found a mac os x version that works perfectly on my desktop pc,

but i only have this minor problem :)

Thanks!

-r2

hey guys just installed JaS 10.4.8 OSX on my

Dell XPS 400 Dekstop computer

Pentium D Dual Core

and i have the correct patches, thats not the case,

but in first-time-start-up screen (where it says to adjust your keyboard by pressing shift, yada yada)

it says "There is no keyboard plugged in, please plug one in"

and my mouse doesnt move around either..

I have a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard set

somebody help me :(

i finally found a mac os x version that works perfectly on my desktop pc,

but i only have this minor problem :)

Thanks!

-r2

I had the same problem, I had to boot off another partition and install an apple supplied USB package for 10.4.8, repaired permissions and then then it worked. I think the patch on the install DVD fixes USB for some people and some must not need it, and it some how breaks it. IOUSBFamily-261.4.2_Intel.pkg is the name of the package. Might search the forums for it, I found a link here to it, or search apple. It's somewhere in the developer section I think.

i see...

so you all are basically saying for me to reinstall it without the USB 2.0 patch?

i dunnooo... that seems a bit fishy... is there anything else i can do?

yes,

its a logitech wireless usb mouse/keyboard set.

the connector is usb, which then transmits the signals out.

i see...

so you all are basically saying for me to reinstall it without the USB 2.0 patch?

i dunnooo... that seems a bit fishy... is there anything else i can do?

yes,

its a logitech wireless usb mouse/keyboard set.

the connector is usb, which then transmits the signals out.

You might try that, if you haven another partition you can install it from that, though that might not be an option for you. I was able to download a package, but my next step was to re-install. Can't think of any good way to install it without another drive to boot from.

EDIT: To anyone else reading, could he boot into single user mode and remove IOUSBFamily.kext and and get basic USB, then install the IOUSBFamily-261.4.2_Intel.pkg from apple and get USB2 back? About the only thing I can come up with, without re-installing or booting another partition.

i dont understand though...

booting another partition?

I already did make my mac os x on a fat 32 primary partition,

that is where i am booting it from,

why would i need to make another partition to boot it from?

my appologies for my newbie questions. :)

EDIT: To anyone else reading, could he boot into single user mode and remove IOUSBFamily.kext and and get basic USB, then install the IOUSBFamily-261.4.2_Intel.pkg from apple and get USB2 back? About the only thing I can come up with, without re-installing or booting another partition.

Single user isn't going to work either I don't think. If i was in his situation, I would format a USB stick as HFS+, put the correct IOUSBFam on it and boot the install DVD. Disk Util should show the key mounted (if not, mount it) and then copy IOUSBFamily over. Fix permissions and reboot.

op

that would probably be a nice idea.

maybe JaS will read this ?

But he does some great work with all that he has done.

Incredibly Greatful to his hard work.

try re-install your 10.4.8 without USB 2.0 patch, i have the same problem and i do use Logitech Wireless KB and Mouse combo. with USB 2.0 patch it didn't recognize apple keyboard.

i am using normal ps2 keyboard. it was working fine. Now, when i plug an old apple imac keyboard (usb) into the system, it won't. Not only that, it caused the ps2 mouse not to work too. I think I installed the usb patch on jas 10.4.8 installer. Anyway to remove that without reinstalling the whole osx??

• 3 weeks later...