Dell Precision Tower 5810 need help installing Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina

Matte82

109 posts in this topic

Woah, I didn't know you were actually alive, lol. I was stalking this page for a while and it actually helped me mostly get my Precision 5810 to (almost) working condition! I'm on High Sierra though, and the only things that don't work is the fact that I have to use cpus=1 to boot and also there's no audio. I made an account to say thanks for the help though. I don't really know how to help you back though, sorry, but hopefully you can fix what you have :/

• Like 1

Ha!! Yep I'm still alive and kicking. I've got 3 kiddos and the youngest is about to turn 3. So hopefully I'll be around for at least a little while longer. :)

Once I get my Hack sorted I just kind of use it and forget to check in around here like I should. Anyway since it last broke, a lot has changed in my personal life, so it's been a while since I've even thought about trying to get OSX (MacOS??!?!?) working again. But I'm back and I will get it sorted. I'm fairly certain the Vega card is my current hurdle. I'm thinking it may even be the cause of my Aptio troubles. The bad part is I don't have another card I can use for now. I'm tempted to "borrrow" one from a computer at work. But for now I'm going to keep trying and see if I can get it sorted as is. Because currently I can't get it to boot my old install on the hard drive or the new USB installer I've made with Mojave. But I changed the EFI so many times, something may have gone awry there. The clover installer kept saying it was "upgrading" drivers I had deleted. So I'm thinking somehow it wasn't completely removing some of the aptio drivers. Anyway I've recreated the USB installer and am about to try again. Taking notes along the way.

Then if I can't find a working combination, I'll strip it down to the bare hardware, and see what happens. Again if it doesn't work, I'll borrow a video card and try again.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, uname said:

Woah, I didn't know you were actually alive, lol. I was stalking this page for a while and it actually helped me mostly get my Precision 5810 to (almost) working condition! I'm on High Sierra though, and the only things that don't work is the fact that I have to use cpus=1 to boot and also there's no audio. I made an account to say thanks for the help though. I don't really know how to help you back though, sorry, but hopefully you can fix what you have :/

Just saw that you made an account just to say thanks. I really am honored by that. Glad to know I've helped at least a few people out. I also found this thread linked to a reddit page asking about getting a 5810 working. So I guess I'm even a little (very little) bit internet famous haha. :)

• Like 1

However fame or not, I'm losing this round so far. I'm having trouble getting passed the initial loading procedure. I'm getting a lot of "couldn't allocate run time" errors. I've tried, AptioMemfix, OSXAptioFix2-free2000 (this is the one I previously used), OSXAptioFix3, OSXAptioFix, OSXlowmemfix, OSXAptiofix + Test2 (Nick Woodhams alternate fix). With a few combinations I get a "error loading kernel cache". So I've tried adding the boot arguments -f and/or UseKernelCache=No.

I even found this guide and have followed it through with the same (lack of) success. I guess my next option is to strip it down to the barebones and see what happens. However I also did a bit of searching and the new Mac Mini actually scores higher in benchmarks than this machine. So it may be time I move on from trying to get MacOS to work on this machine. I'm also tempted to just build a new PC and hackintosh it. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Dangit, I was writing something on my phone and I accidentally deleted it, but ya, all I was gonna say is I guess just go barebones because I remember getting that same error too and while at first I gave up like 3 months ago, eventually (as in like last week, lol) I decided to redo my entire Clover config and it allowed me to boot to the installer finally. I don't think it's really that cost effective to completely replace the computer, especially for me because I don't have much money to spend, lol, but I mean you can probably improve it's performance by just upgrading the CPU if you really want to, I'm fine with my CPU anyways for the most part. Actually now that I think about it if you sell it maybe it'll be more cost effective, but whatever lol, just do you, just don't spend that much time on hackintoshing considering you have a lot more going on in your life, lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well fwiw I ended up installing Mojave as a VM. That will do what I need for now. If I ever get the chance to figure it out, and do, I'll report back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Matte82 & @ludacrisvp. I read your posts about the T5810 with E5-1620 v3 & E5-1650 v3! I've 2 T5800's with both CPU's. I installed and run Sierra within one day, so that was easy. But I'm trying for 2 full weeks now to install High Sierra with no results. Tried so many Clover versions and config.plist options, following al lot of posts everywhere in Hackintosh-land, but I get stuck on 'Error loading kernel cache (0x9)' every time. I've the same machine's as you guys. So can someone please share his clover-folder with me? I'm using the latest HS installer: 10.13.6.02.

Used Bios versions & settings would also be great. I think I have it wright, but I'm not sure about the setting 'Memory Map IO above 4G'.

I haven't tried the Mojave option yet, so maybe that's the next step. But I need High Sierra as a minimal for my software. I really would appreciate any help. Kind regards.

Edited by Alain1973

• 2 months later...

Not sure how much footfall this thread is getting these days but i'll post and see if there is still some interest....

So from my previous post . I had mojave working , stable along with usb ,audio ,graphics , power management , sleep etc.

Working on windows so the mac side of things took a back seat .Had set up dual boot again all good.

Then had a hardware failure only to discover i hadn't cloned the mojave drive.

Haven't  had a chance to getting mac running again but I am trying to piece together what files I still have and notes relating to my last install.

The hope is to maybe contribute to a to guide on the 5810 when i'm up and running again.

Matte82 was a great help when I first posted here and I can see others have had success , hopefully someone still reads this thread.

I made a few changes to my system since I last posted so might start with that....

Dell Precision 5810

Bios A31 / UEFI BOOT

Xeon E5 1620 V3

Quadro M4000 Graphics

48gb ECC Ram

2no SSD Drives Windows

1no Blank SSD Drive ( for Sierra / High Sierra )  - due to my current graphics card.

System build from person to person should have limited variations ......  cpu v3 / v4 / no of cores  , graphics amd / nvidia 

, dell bios version , uefi or legacy boot , clover version , clover configuration.

I skipped High Sierra previously so never actually installed 10.13.

Bios settings for mojave had serial port disabled , vt- d disabled , not so sure about usb 3.

Clover 4700 for my Mojave install with an older dell bios * and  SMBios  MacPro 6.1

Anyone care to share working Sierra / High Sierra clover settings , drivers , kexts .

Memory fixes were hit and miss any time I installed and I think some clover versions are more compatible than others

At least that was the case for me.

If possible , does anyone have a tried and tested installer set up for sierra or high sierra.

Installer setup - for me usually meant no audio , basic graphics , no power management , maybe no usb .

Audio looks to be a common issue for others , it can be made to work with all ports identified correctly . I'll check through my notes .

And usb  can be fixed with a custom ssdt . Again i'll check what I still have in files when I have a working build.

On a side note ... don't be put off by quadro / firepro graphics .... I've used both on various builds with good results.

Both Amd Firepro W7000 and  Nvidia K4000 worked in Mojave and should do so in Catalina .

Edited by Úll Mac

Hello. I’m still around and still have the 5810. Somewhere though I broke MacOS and haven’t exactly fixed it. I say that because I now run Mac OS as VM on it and that works for me. And I only do that for my audio recording interface. I use MacOS to change the internal routing and then record and mix in Windows. I have an older MacBook Pro for my proper Mac uses. And that’s probably how it will stay until I build a purpose built hackintosh. Which is also probably some time off. I’ll gladly try to help in any way I can. But don’t have a working clover or anything to share unfortunately.

Hello. I’m still around and still have the 5810. Somewhere though I broke MacOS and haven’t exactly fixed it. I say that because I now run Mac OS as VM on it and that works for me. And I only do that for my audio recording interface. I use MacOS to change the internal routing and then record and mix in Windows. I have an older MacBook Pro for my proper Mac uses. And that’s probably how it will stay until I build a purpose built hackintosh. Which is also probably some time off. I’ll gladly try to help in any way I can. But don’t have a working clover or anything to share unfortunately.

Hi, good to hear from you. 

When I had Mojave working it was extremely stable so much so that I 

do want to try get going again. Although with my graphics card 'upgraded'

I need to settle for high sierra.

I'm picking up bits and pieces from various forums , should be able to do some testing this weekend.

From my Mojave install aptio memory fix was patchy . And I found some clover versions worked better than others.

Read somewhere lately that clover versions 5000 and greater should be avoided for haswell x99 ?

No worries that you don't have a working build at the moment.

If I can work out a stable install i'll share my  files and maybe you could test on your side.

From past efforts is obviously possible , just need plenty of patience and coffee .

Hi, good to hear from you. 
When I had Mojave working it was extremely stable so much so that I 
do want to try get going again. Although with my graphics card 'upgraded'
I need to settle for high sierra.
I'm picking up bits and pieces from various forums , should be able to do some testing this weekend.
From my Mojave install aptio memory fix was patchy . And I found some clover versions worked better than others.
Read somewhere lately that clover versions 5000 and greater should be avoided for haswell x99 ?
No worries that you don't have a working build at the moment.
If I can work out a stable install i'll share my  files and maybe you could test on your side.
From past efforts is obviously possible , just need plenty of patience and coffee .

Cool. I’ll gladly help test. I’m not sure what your “upgraded” graphics card is. I have a Vega 64 in mine right now. So it should be fairly compatible. But time is what I’ve been lacking for a while. I’m sure I could help more if I had more time. But that’s just not possible right now. Thanks for keeping the work going. It is a very good machine. Even today it does more than I need. Which is why I don’t see me building a new rig anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Matte82 said:

Cool. I’ll gladly help test. I’m not sure what your “upgraded” graphics card is. I have a Vega 64 in mine right now. So it should be fairly compatible. But time is what I’ve been lacking for a while. I’m sure I could help more if I had more time. But that’s just not possible right now. Thanks for keeping the work going. It is a very good machine. Even today it does more than I need. Which is why I don’t see me building a new rig anytime soon.

Just meant I was running Quadro K4000 when I had Mojave working , have since moved to Quadro M4000 

not compatible beyond 10.13  If I can install with that card you should have no problems with a vega 64.

Agree , time is hard to come by and yes 5810 is still a very capable machine.

Only things left to upgrade are possibly cpu to a 1650 v4  - still too expensive at the moment ,

and an nvme pci drive is an option down the line.

I'll post again over the weekend hopefully with something you can try out.

Not having much success yet ....

have made a Sierra usb installer and a High Sierra usb installer

no joy with either so far. getting a lot of 'couldn't allocate run time area '

I'm uploading my latest efi folder from my hs installer key - if you could have a look and maybe test on your machine.

I'm manually editing at the clover boot screen but not hit on the right mix.

Not sure either if my drivers , kexts are correct for hs.i haven't installed high sierra before so likely missing something. Have left the smbios as is , for reference only delete edit as you see fit .\ the broadwell patch is edited to haswell  just didnt change the text.

MY DELL SYSTEM BIOS IS A31 - GRAPHICS NVIDIA QUADRO M4000

EFI-01 HS- 5810.zip

Edited by Úll Mac
typo

just came across a possible solution for the memory mapping issues .......

OcQuirks - good write up on GitHub of its uses.Just tried it now , still not booting installer but there is an option to change configuration and noticed one option is to set shrink memory map to true from false.

worth a read and probably worth testing.

Aslo pasting a summary found elsewhere explaining what it  is meant to replace....

The table below lists helpers that you may have found on the web while you were searching for a fix. These helpers are older and were written to solve a specific problem that has been rolled up into AptioMemoryFix. If you find a reference to them, use AptioMemoryFix instead.

Memory Fix

AptioMemoryFix

This helper is an alternative to OcQuirks, but is unsupported by the developer.

OsxAptioFix3Drv

This helper was deprecated by AptioMemoryFix.

OsxAptioFix2Drv

OsxAptioFixDrv

OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000

This memory helper should never be used for any reason. It was created to test a specific correction, and not to be used by end users. It will corrupt your data, and may also cause hardware failure.

using nick woodhams free 2000 helped a lot of people including myself and likely many still needing to use it 

can't say it caused any issues for me expect that it helped previous installs

Edited by Úll Mac

It may help others if when posting to this thread you note what dell bios you are on or used with you installed 

DELL PRECISION 5810  -  CURRENT BIOS A31

And also clover version used...

CLOVER BOOTLOADED -  CURRENT VERSION 5097

Edited by Úll Mac

On 11/9/2018 at 9:20 AM, ludacrisvp said:

I've got mine mostly working based on a handful of guides, even though this certainly is not my first rodeo. 

Still booting via USB3 external HDD that does actually get loaded as USB3.

I've got the Haswell 'Xeon E5-1650 v3' 6 core processor, just having issues getting speedstep / power management working. 

No turbo and stuck at 3.49GHz, so it is unable to underclock or turbo to 3.8GHz. 

These load, so I'm not sure why there isn't any speedstep for the CPU, it is always reporting at 3.50GHz via intel power gadget.

Mac-Pro:~ ludacrisvp$ kextstat|grep -i 86Plat
   93    1 0xffffff7f82570000 0x17000    0x17000    com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin (1.0.0) 72A2953B-57EA-3F24-971E-8E5E6ED9EC3B <92 69 30 13 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>
  142    1 0xffffff7f82587000 0x7000     0x7000     com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim (1.0.0) A3D9B3B0-81BF-3303-B75B-0E545399CC96 <93 92 13 7 4 3>

Used frequencyvectors to add  "Mac-DB15BD556843C820.plist (iMac17,1)" to the MacPro6,1 plist. 

booting with / without -xpcm doesn't seem to make a difference.

Mac-Pro:~ ludacrisvp$ ./ssdtPRGen.sh -xcpm 1

ssdtPRGen.sh v0.9  Copyright (c) 2011-2012 by † RevoGirl
             v6.6  Copyright (c) 2013 by † Jeroen
             v21.5 Copyright (c) 2013-2018 by Pike R. Alpha
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bugs > https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/issues <

System information: Mac OS X 10.13.3 (17D47)
Brandstring: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz"

Override value: (-x) XCPM mode, now set to: 1!

Version: models.cfg v171 / Haswell.cfg v151

Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'MacPro6,1' with board-id [Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6]
Haswell Core E5-1650 v3 processor [0x306F2] setup [0x0507]
With a maximum TDP of 140 Watt, as specified by Intel
Number logical CPU's: 12 (Core Frequency: 3500 MHz)
Number of Turbo States: 3 (3600-3800 MHz)
Number of P-States: 27 (1200-3800 MHz)
Injected C-States for CP00 (C1,C3,C6)
Injected C-States for CP01 (C1,C3,C6)
Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 3)
	 - Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#acpi_smartups
Compiling: ssdt_pr.dsl
Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20140926-64 [Nov  6 2014]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:     /Users/ludacrisvp/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl - 360 lines, 10726 bytes, 97 keywords
AML Output:    /Users/ludacrisvp/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml - 2760 bytes, 40 named objects, 57 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations
Do you want to open ssdt.dsl (y/n)? n

Nvidia Quadro M2000 4Gb card seems to work fine with nvidia web drivers installed, it is reported as Metal supported so I should be able to move to Mojave, also I moved the card to slot-4 instead of slot-2, not sure if that has any bearing. 

For what it is worth, the GPU power management is working fine, I see the clock speeds change for GPU core and memory ... down to 135MHz core / 810MHz mem up to 1.15GHz core / 6.61GHz mem

For sound I can only get the front panel audio to work using AppleALC if i inject layout 3 or 4 via DSDT (4 being preferred as it detects headphones being plugged in and mic input works, however it has to be a dedicated mic)

Attached DSDT/SSDT that I'm using, I've setup my DSDT to handle 2 GPUs but I wasn't able to get them both working correctly, probably due to something related to using MP6,1 ID based on some things I've read saying it will disable the first GPU, so maybe I have to add a 3rd fake entry to get both running, which seems to be the most likely scenario. 

config-r.plist

dsdt-ssdt.zip

Your config plist included Nvidia web and power management fixes.Do you have a paired down version that will allow booting installer ? could you upload a copy .trying to reach hs installer ,no longer running Mojave- current graphics quadro m4000 

Edited by Úll Mac

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, Matte82 said:

Hi Matte , not had a chance to test further .Have you had any luck with your set up.

Made some inquiries on a couple of forums but no one seems interested in replying.

Picked up a WX7100 card since I last posted so going to see how that goes.

High Sierra seems to be particularly tricky to clean install on the 5810 …. will try 10,14 / 10,15 

if you make any progress do let me know and i'll do likewise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 11:30 PM, Matte82 said:

testing on and off 10.14.6 , clover 5071 , dell bios A32

try osxaptiofix2 + test2-2016 + free2000 ( with and without free2000 )

gets as far as ' MACH Reboot ' stalls as no kexts loaded

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, uname said:

Gday Mate! Where did you get your 8 pin to 8 pin gpu power cable ?

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have BIOS settings? I reset BIOS settings and now my system does not boot, Catalina 10.15.6. I use OpenCore. I had a completely working system, but now, whatever loader I use, it's error everywhere. If I use Clover, there is an error in the memory of the PCI devices.

ERROR:

[EB|`B:WFDW] Err(0xE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49

Снимок экрана 2020-07-25 в 17.51.40.png

EFI.zip

Edited by OreyMugen

• 2 years later...

Hello, is anyone successful running Monterey with Dell T5810? I have been running Big Sur at the moment (OC 084).

This Dell X99 system, unlike HP's counter part (Z440/640/840),  appeared to be an odd ball. I just could not install/boot up Monterey. Always encountered the same kernel panic (see screen shot) during booting, using the same EFI that worked great under Big Sur.

Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light on this!

20221010_214333.jpg

Edited by BillDH2k

17 hours ago, BillDH2k said:

Hello, is anyone successful running Monterey with Dell T5810? I have been running Big Sur at the moment (OC 084).

This Dell X99 system, unlike HP's counter part (Z440/640/840),  appeared to be an odd ball. I just could not install/boot up Monterey. Always encountered the same kernel panic (see screen shot) during booting, using the same EFI that worked great under Big Sur.

Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light on this!

I think you have to:

1. Edit DSDT or SSDT for real CPU cores and thread count.

2. Use VoodooTSCsync.kext. instead of CpuTscSync.

3. Set quirk TscSyncTimeout=500000.

16 hours ago, Slice said:

I think you have to:

1. Edit DSDT or SSDT for real CPU cores and thread count.

2. Use VoodooTSCsync.kext. instead of CpuTscSync.

3. Set quirk TscSyncTimeout=500000.

Great insight! I want to give it a try. But I need some help here.

If I understood correctly, the goal is to patch out the CpuDef/CpuPm tables so only the needed entries matching the real CPU (2666V3 10C/20T) remain. The CpuPm table is in BIOS's SSDT, which I can replace by dropping the CpuPm table ("PmMgt" is the table id in my case) and replace it with a trimmed down version (from the original, SSDT-1.aml, generated with OC SysReport dump).

Now the CpuDef is in DSDT, which I am not sure how to patch it. There are lots of CPxx defined for 4 CPU sockets, where we only need one (SCK0). How do I accomplish this via SSDT, or hot patching? In Clover, you could drop in the entire DSDT in ACPI folder, but not sure if you can do that with OC. 

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I tried the new VoodooTSCsync.kext, with and w/o TscSyncTimeout. Still kernel panic at the same spot.