MSI GTX-650 Nvidia card went out on me

dolphans1

15 posts in this topic

[sOLVED] Hello group I have a question, I have an older MSI GTX-650 GeForce 2GB video card that is failing after 4 years of use. It starts off as a checker board black and white when posting and then the screen goes totally black. So, I tried swapping out a newer MSI 700 series card but it just sits and hangs on that grey apple logo screen.

I can't seem to figure out how to boot up in -v mode and they no longer make that video card anymore.

Also, can anyone tell me why it won't boot up in VESA mode with the newer card?

I'm trying to avoid doing a whole new install.

I'm running Mavericks and have been doing so close to 4 years.

Any advice is appreciated.

D-1

My motherboard is Gigabyte Z87-D3HP - Haswell i7 processor, 16 GB, MSI - GTX 650 2GB 3.0 Nvidia PCIe video card. The new MSI 700 series I purchased I returned it, so I don't have the stats for it. I ordered an MSI card from VGA.com store that was supposed to be the exact same card I had before and they sent me some generic off brand piece of junk card and it would hang on the apple grey screen logo as well.

@ cyberdevs - I currently have the old card back in there and it starts to post, but looks like a checkboard in black & white, but then the screen goes black.

I tried those 2 cards I mentioned above, but they hang on that grey apple splash screen.

I purchased a used/never used MSI card off eBay to see if that card will work, in the mean time I was wondering if that doesn't work, how can I get the newer cards to post so I can see what I'm doing.

When I get that message to press ang key for setup on my keyboard, nothing happens, I'm using a USB keyboard.

In short I'm looking for other options to install a newer card that will work with Mavericks.

Thanks.

Well if your computer won't POST changing few things might help.

if there is a faulty VGA you'll here a long beep followed by 4 short beeps.

If you hear a single beep after turning on the computer your VGA is ok and all that remains to be checked is whether the BIOS settings are correct or not.

If you have access to bios with your old checkboard styled vga go to bios and disable CMS or/and any other UEFI settings related to PCI devices.

Or

1. Change the PCI Express slot for your VGA

Or

2. Reset BIOS or Clear CMOS

in the meanwhile if you can boot your os using -v in clover boot option and take a snapshot and post it here to see what crashes OS boot up.

@ cyberdevs - I purchased a similar MSI card card, only deference is the 1GB card versus my card which was a 2GB one.

My PC boots in 10 secs or less, but once it gets past posting, the screen goes all black.

When my new card comes in, I will post my results.

I guess my main point is, why won't Mavericks boot up with the newer cards that I tried?

I will post my findings, once I receive that newer card.

Thanks - D1

@ cyberdevs - I purchased a similar MSI card card, only deference is the 1GB card versus my card which was a 2GB one.

My PC boots in 10 secs or less, but once it gets past posting, the screen goes all black.

When my new card comes in, I will post my results.

I guess my main point is, why won't Mavericks boot up with the newer cards that I tried?

I will post my findings, once I receive that newer card.

Thanks - D1

No problem :)

Each device has it's own device ID which varies from one vendor to another so they might seem identical but they are not.

you can post your config.plist here so I can take a look and we can test it while you are waiting for the new card to arrive. It's up to you :)

[sOLVED] @ cyberdevs - My issue has been resolved I purchased an MSI GTX-650 1GB and it booted my PC like a charm (viola) , it was a brand new card for sale on ebay, but never used in a PC. The only difference between this card and my old MSI that died was a 2GB. Below is a pick of that card.

MSI-GTX%20650%201GB%20PCIe3.0%20DirectX%

How do I navigate to my config.plist folder , I can't remember how to get there, I thought it was /usr/local/bin/clover-genconfig >config.plist , but I do not think I used Clover.

[sOLVED] @ cyberdevs - My issue has been resolved I purchased an MSI GTX-650 1GB and it booted my PC like a charm (viola) , it was a brand new card for sale on ebay, but never used in a PC. The only difference between this card and my old MSI that died was a 2GB. Below is a pick of that card.

MSI-GTX%20650%201GB%20PCIe3.0%20DirectX%

How do I navigate to my config.plist folder , I can't remember how to get there, I thought it was /usr/local/bin/clover-genconfig >config.plist , but I do not think I used Clover.

Good,

You need to use Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition on the disk you installed Mac OS X.

The path is: /EFI/Clover/Config.plist

@cyberdevs - this is what I pulled up -

/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Maverick10.9            119.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mac WDC 2TB Storage     2.0 TB     disk1s2