Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3 (beginner)

zeg66

159 posts in this topic

Thank you MaLd0n, however, it is still not working. 

AboutThisMac -> SystemReport -> EthernetCards: "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed"

Here is the ioreg file:

iMac.ioreg.zip

Another problem (perhaps relevant?) is that although it restarts fine, it never shuts down. I can hear the hard disk being parked (the beauty of a mechanical drive's audible feedback), the Nvidia turns off (monitor goes into standby), but the fans don't stop spinning (all of them) and the computer doesn't shut down. I have to use the switch on the power supply.

• Like 1

Yes !! Hats off to you Sir, you are the Man.  :-)

From halfway across the Globe, you fixed it. 

Next thing is the silent (No output devices found) Azalia Realtek ALC888 8-channel Audio Codec, no rush, whenever you feel like it.

Oh dear, the... store wants to update the operating system to Sierra!

Ignore or go for it?

• Like 1

Yes, of course onboard audio works now too, thank you!  :-)

Feels like a fast machine, peppier than when it ran w7 on the same hardware. 

How can I take a snapshot (backup) of the system essential parts, in case I mess something up?

• Like 1

Good advice. I will prepare a usb stick with a "receipt-less" 10.11.6, copy the CLOVER folder and try installing everything again on a different harddrive, in the same machine, what an adventure...

At an earlier point in our conversation, you said a 1151 motherboard was good for sierra and logic 10.3.1, well, now I *do* have such a spare motherboard, would you perhaps care to comment on my other thread here?

• Like 1

No, I use a couple of sata2 160gb mechanical drives.

The 1151 system is an Asus H170M-E D3 motherboard with 2 x 4GB DDR3L ram and..... an Intel Skylake Celeron G3900 cpu... bought everything as a package from a friend at a very low price. Can't afford an i3 right now, let alone anything faster.

Tried it. I get a KP very early, it's so fast I cannot read what it says or take a picture, but before the system reboots I can read "thread 0 crashed".

motherboard settings: load optimized defaults and then: intel vt off, intel vt-d off, CFG lock off, legacy usb on, xhci handoff off, hda audio on/ac97, serialport off, parallelport off, fastboot off, csm off, secureboot=OtherOS/PureUefi.

the system boots fine with ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I extracted the DSDT.aml and DSDT.dsl just in case.

Here is the DSDT.dsl file:

DSDT.7z

but the picture of the KP... that is very difficult, it's so fast, all I can see is dumping registers and rebooting.

Perhaps if I can borrow a high framerate camera to make a small video of it and examine it frame by frame in vlc.

isn't it possible to have the -v verbose output saved into some log file so we can examine it in a more human fashion?

ok I managed to get a picture by disabling verbose and ... waiting for it.

here it is:

post-2014124-0-89137500-1489952807_thumb.jpg

the first line reads:

panic (cpu 1 caller 0x.....): init proc exited -- exit reason namespace 2 subcode 0x4 description: none

Thank you but I still get the same KP.

Well, I tried something different: Prepared a very simple El Capitan 10.11.6 installer with Clover and tried booting with that. If I put the new ElCap thumbdrive on the rear USB2 port I get the same KP as with the Sierra installer. If I put the ElCap thumbdrive on the front USB2 port I get a circular "stop" sign and a message saying "still waiting for root device".

Maybe the onboard HD510 graphics card is not supported after all. An i3-6100 costs 130E here so it's a bit out of my reach. Could I keep the Celeron G3900 and try a simple (and preferably fan-less) video card like this:

http://xfxforce.com/fr-fr/products/gpus-prcdents/xfx-amd-5450-1gb-graphics-card-hd-545x-zch2

or like this:

http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N210SL-1GI#ov

those are reasonably priced (around 35E each) but I don't know if 10.12.3 (or 10.11.6) would be ok with either. What do you think?