Convert Tiger DVD to CD's ?

JeroenJ

7 posts in this topic

After playing a bit with OSX86 on my laptop, I finally got an (old) Mac (for free)

it's a G4 macintosh. It came from one or another company, so everything was pass protected. Now the problem is I almost couldn't do anything. After searching a while, I found a OSX 10.4 installation cd (PowerPC version). Burned it to a dvd using my hackintosh, so guess it should work. Now the problem is, the Mac won't boot from the DVD (I am using a dvd station from my old desktop, as the Mac only has a cd writer).

Is there any way to force booting the dvd ? Or can I convert the DVD into seperate installation CD's, as I've read somewhere it's in some cases impossible to use non-mac-cd/dvd drives...

I've been playing quite a lot, I've formatted the HD from the mac with PowerMagic under XP.

The only things left in my eyes are:

- Forcing the mac to boot from the DVD

- Converting the DVD into CD's

- Formatting the HD to HFS using my hackintosh, and eventually trying to install OSX via my hackintosh on the HD...

I'm quite a noob in everything that belongs to Mac's, but my knowledge has to come :D

let this be the first thing :D

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen.

After playing a bit with OSX86 on my laptop, I finally got an (old) Mac (for free)

After searching a while, I found a OSX 10.4 installation cd (PowerPC version).

OSX 10.4 PPC version. Not OSX86 version guys.

Burned it to a dvd using my hackintosh, so guess it should work. Now the problem is, the Mac won't boot from the DVD (I am using a dvd station from my old desktop, as the Mac only has a cd writer).

I' m interested in how you were able to go around the internal CD-ROM.

I recently purchased a Imac G3 and was able to download OSX which was split into 4 CD's (maybe you can do the same) but it will not boot from CD. I can view the CD but will not boot from it even if i go into startup disk. So maybe i can try attaching a different CD-ROM or DVD-ROM and try again.

PS. You have a PM.

Well, I haven't got an iMac, but a "normal" Mac like this:

in_g4_061500_03.jpg

So bypassing the cd drive was quite easy ;)

I'm downloading the CD version right now, in the hope it will work for me!

For your iMac, isn't it possible to open it ? then you have to connect a common dvd drive or cd drive to the IDE connector on the motherboard. Hopefully it works for you!

I don't have enough cash to buy OSX, also there is a big chance I have to bring this Mac back in some weeks/months/years... So I don't want to spend to much money in it :) I'm using it to learn to use OSX only, and to know it's capabilities, as my Hackinstosh doesn't have sound/lan :D

Thx in advance!

Well, I haven't got an iMac, but a "normal" Mac like this:

in_g4_061500_03.jpg

So bypassing the cd drive was quite easy ;)

I'm downloading the CD version right now, in the hope it will work for me!

For your iMac, isn't it possible to open it ? then you have to connect a common dvd drive or cd drive to the IDE connector on the motherboard. Hopefully it works for you!

I don't have enough cash to buy OSX, also there is a big chance I have to bring this Mac back in some weeks/months/years... So I don't want to spend to much money in it ;) I'm using it to learn to use OSX only, and to know it's capabilities, as my Hackinstosh doesn't have sound/lan :D

Thx in advance!

I have a powermac like this (a Dual 533mhz G4 Digital Audio) that I grabbed as it was being retired, and it only had a CD-RW in it.

I bought a Pioneer 110D dvd drive (about $40, I think), and took out the cd drive and replaced it with the Pioneer. Then your DVD will work.

You can try the CD version that you are trying to get, but for $40, I think you're better off with the DVD drive.

cheers,