Quicktime playback is stripes (SOLVED)

klapi

12 posts in this topic

It's quicktime 7.1.3 and I have no problem playing the mov file in e.g. VLC, but in quicktime it looks like this:

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=b...meisnonoct5.png

why not just use VLC? because i want to be able to browse through trailers from quicktimes webpage and for frontrow

I've made a PPC copy of quicktime but the error is in both of them.

Running Callisto with Radeon 9700

Any tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Thanks to SG for informing me that the new versions of quicktime needs SSE3 (and I have SSE2 only), so if any of you out there have sse2 too and upgraded, you need to install and older version.

There's a QuickTime_7.0.1_ReInstaller.dmg out there somewhere, the link on apples quicktime support page is broken but I've mailed them asking why it's been removed.

I'll let you guys know when they reply.

- Klapi

How do u revert back to an older quicktime? like 7.12? I try using appzapper. delete /reciept file. The installer will not let me install because the file is older.

Same problem I had. You need the "QuickTime_7.0.1_ReInstaller.dmg" and the pkg for quicktime 7.1.2.

As I wrote in the first post the file isn't available at their website anymore, but I've emailed them and asked why. I'll post here when they reply.

I too have a Radeon 9700 and SSE2. For me, older versions of QuickTime just crashed on opening most videos, or returned an obscure error message.

Seems like you have the exact same laptop as mine. What error message do you get? I've been dealing with this laptop with osx86 a long time, I might be able to help :)

PS: If there's any hardware you can't get to work (wi-fi, sound only one channel) then feel free to PM me, I've got all to work but the ethernet and pcmcia - or search for my ferrari 3200 thread.

You need the "QuickTime_7.0.1_ReInstaller.dmg" and the pkg for quicktime 7.1.2.

As I wrote in the first post the file isn't available at their website anymore, but I've emailed them and asked why. I'll post here when they reply.

Here's a link for the Reinstaller: http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/7991...ReInstaller.dmg

and 7.1.2: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/qui...e712formac.html

Same problem I had. You need the "QuickTime_7.0.1_ReInstaller.dmg" and the pkg for quicktime 7.1.2.

Seems like you have the exact same laptop as mine. What error message do you get? I've been dealing with this laptop with osx86 a long time, I might be able to help :)

PS: If there's any hardware you can't get to work (wi-fi, sound only one channel) then feel free to PM me, I've got all to work but the ethernet and pcmcia - or search for my ferrari 3200 thread.

I've got a Ferrari 3400, which is the same as your 3200 but I think the 3200 has an AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 3400 is 3000+ (2ghz).

I've gotten everything working except ethernet and pcmcia, just like you. Though, I have a few half-working things:

When you open a window and move it, scroll, etc, it goes completely nuts. I usually expose' and back and it seems to clear it up, but it still sucks.

Video card is detected as PCI; less than stellar performance.

iTunes 6 works fine, but the preferences window doesn't work at all. Because of this, I'm stuck with default preferences. Of course we both know of the iTunes 7 fiasco.

Aftermentioned QuickTime issues. Also, could you ever get Flip4Mac installed? It just told me it couldn't be installed on this computer.

My laptop's currently in Florida getting repairs done (dead mobo :D) but I'd love to get more parts working when it gets back.

When you open a window and move it, scroll, etc, it goes completely nuts. I usually expose' and back and it seems to clear it up, but it still sucks.

Video card is detected as PCI; less than stellar performance.

Sounds like you don't have qe/ci support - and I have messed up graphics with qe/ci if i run 1400x1050. so instead i run 1280x960 with full qe/ci support and wonderful picture.

In order to get the radeon 9700 fully working you need Callisto b003 fixed.

iTunes 6 works fine, but the preferences window doesn't work at all. Because of this, I'm stuck with default preferences. Of course we both know of the iTunes 7 fiasco.

Aftermentioned QuickTime issues. Also, could you ever get Flip4Mac installed? It just told me it couldn't be installed on this computer.

First off... You say "iTunes 7 fiasco", I say no. I run iTunes 7.0.1 now without any problems. There are down sides of however. Technically it's slower because I've made a PPC copy of the intel iTunes (rosetta), but the speed is fine - it's just a music program so I don't notice anything.

I'm not sure if the new iTunes version will fix the preferances problem, but I've heard of others who had this problem, so I'll try to look out for an answer and reply if I find anything.

Flip4Mac is kinda hard to discuss because I'm having trouble with quicktime - and with a working quicktime then I'm almost 100 pct. sure that Flip4Mac would work as well. I'm able to see wmv videos on websites via the plugin, the faulty picture is something that also exists with the quicktime plugin for mov files, so I don't really think Flip4Mac is the problem here.

You say you couldn't get it installed on the computer, I had no troubles doing that. ran the installer from microsofts website and it was installed without any problems - prefpane too.

I do have ci/qe and even Opengl working, as i said. But i have all that graphical distortion at 1400x1050. I absolutely refuse to run at it's non-native resolution. I intend to format and start from scratch when I get my laptop back.

Sorry I missed that piece of info, but still a format and reinstall won't help.

I must admit I was disappointed not being able to run 1400x1050 too, but honestly, 1280x960 isn't that bad.

And it's a trade-off between being able to watch movies or have flawless display, so either you have 1400x1050 and video playing fluidly with the downside of flawed windows when moved OR you have 1400x1050 and not as much hardware accelerated graphics but no flaws (disabling qe/ci). I chose to have the resolution as the downside, going from 1400x1050 instead of sacrificing the qe/ci or video playback and gfx flaws.

I'm gonna go check out if I can use tv-out now, feel free to ask if there's more you'd like to know :(

I'll stick to using 1400x1050. I could give no CI/QE a try and see if I can live with it. If not, I'll either use MouseExpose' or some other third party app, or continue my habit of hitting F11 as soon as I open a window.

Hehe yeah. Hit me back if mousexpose works - I use mouselocator for the tearing but that only fixes the area around the cursor, not an entire window :D

Hi, would you please to help me? I tried this reinstaller, but it said "This disk is dimmed because it does not contain an appropriate version of Quicktime". Oh, of course, it is a reinstaller for 7.0.3 to 7.0.2, not for 7.1.3. So any way else for us to reinstall 7.1.2?