Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarek Januszewski

[HOW TO] Getting Supermicro X9DAi audio working

2 posts in this topic

Since winter 2015 I've been slowly building my Hackintosh workstation based on Supermicro X9DAi. This mobo has quite good reputation in the community, that's why I have chosen it as my base platform.

It quickly turned out the X9DAi Hackintosh setup process is time consuming and has very steep learning curve. Preparation of my rig went into months. Ethernet, USB, USB3, PM, ... step by step I fixed succeeding issues. Days, weeks – you probably know that.

It was all worth it however, cause today I have 100% functional muscle hack.

Thanks to wonderful community I overcame many obstacles and solved hundred of issues. So now is my turn to put my two cents.

___

Last thing which not worked in my system was audio. Many users reported lack of ability to fix this and after several attempts I also quit. Bought cheapo USB PnP sound card and left the issue unsolved.

Having to test some DIY microphone project I did recently, I thought why not to give another shot to my onboard ALC889?

I did, and after an hour had working audio onboard.

Setup is very simple and you can proceed it in minutes. Of course this is not my developement but compilation of solutions from the web.

Tested on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 only. I don't know whether it works in other system versions.

So, here's step by step how-to guide:

___

1. Download "Realtek ALC888s Solution for Yosemite by Mister Thibard" here:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/4299-realtek-alc888s-solution-for-yosemite/

This is very convenient set of utilities suitable here. Download, mount DMG, read the README.

dmg.jpg

2. Run the PKG from "A" folder.

App installs to S/L/E two kexts: VoodooHDA & AppleHDADisabler,
Also Voodoo preference pane and VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app in the Utilities.

3. Open the "B" folder from DMG and copy VoodooHDA.kext somewhere on your HD.

Go to new kext location, do "show package content" and edit containing info.plist file in any plain text editor.

VoodooHDA is an open source audio driver for devices compliant with the Intel High Definition Audio specification. It is intended as a replacement for AppleHDA on Mac OS X.

4. Check whether your device ID is indeed 0x1d208086 under the "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" key.

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
			<string>0x1d208086</string>

If it's not, refer to the README on DMG (or use DPCIManager utility to get device ID).

5. Find the "AllowMSI" key and change its value to "false".

<key>AllowMSI</key>
			<true/>

to:

<key>AllowMSI</key>
			<false/>

NOTE: if sound is lost after few seconds of any first play, it means you have missed this step :(

6. Save the info.plist file and close editor.

7. Using KextWizard, KextUtility or any similar app install edited VoodooHDA in /S/L/E and do usual full service.

8. Make VoodooHdaSettingsLoader load at startup.

Go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> (select desired user) -> Login Items tab.
Click "+" and locate VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app in the Utilities. Select it and add to your startup items:
startup.jpg

9. Restart machine. Enjoy your new sound.

This solution is quick, effective and elegant. Checkout the Sound pane in System Preferences – all motherboard audio connectors are present:

output.jpg

input.jpg

In the VoodooHDA preference pane you may fine-tune output & input source parameters. Very convenient.

syspref.jpg

voodoohda.jpg

Cheers!

Advertisement

hello, I was wanting to find out if I would need this patch for Sierra 10.12.503?

Also I wanted you to see if you could read this post that I put on here just recently?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324545-ultrabeast-2-x-980tis-2-x-e5-2697v2-cpus-geekbench-59104-fastest-system/

After you're done looking at it if you have time let me know what your thoughts are about why my screen is going black at startup? Thanks for whatever input you can give and I'm extremely excited to know that you got yours working!  That's awesome!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Announcements

• Similar Content

• By vivek.gk
      Hi all ,

Just finished successful install of mojave(10.14.6) everything is working except for sound for the matter ,
      i do not have much knowledge on patch and stuff , even though tried AppleAlc layout-id which did not work for me ,
      i tried voodohda also which did not work either it ends up in panic .
      with DCPI manager it says audio controller 
      PCI Subvendor: 0x225d103c not sure what is my supported alc here .  
      i am attaching darwin dump and dsdt extracted aml and config plist used (rehabman(config.plist for intel4600)

could some one guide me through this as i am newbie to this .
      DarwinDumper_2.9.9b7_INSYDE_Corp._X64_Unknown_vv.rar
      dsdt.rar
      config.plist
    • By STLVNUB
      Script file to clone and help build Clover or Opencore repos
      Script will create link to itself in /usr/local/bin/bob
      Script SHOULD fix up any stray bobs you may have.
      Then you only need to type bob. and a parameter
      "a" for ACID repo, official
      "d" for ACID repo DUET build
      "c" for CLOVER
      "e" to erase UDK Folder
      Easier typing bob than.....usual stuff
      YOU WILL NEED TO cmod+x THE SCRIPT
      Enjoy

• By Mieze
      This project is dedicated to Lucy, my lovely little Tyrannofelis Rex. 

LucyRTL8125Ethernet is an open source driver for the Realtek RTL8125 family of 2.5GBit Ethernet controllers.

Key Features of the Driver
      Supports all versions of Realtek's RTL8125 2.5GBit Ethernet Controllers found on recent boards. Support for multisegment packets relieving the network stack of unnecessary copy operations when assembling packets for transmission. No-copy receive and transmit. Only small packets are copied on reception because creating a copy is more efficient than allocating a new buffer. TCP, UDP and IPv4 checksum offload (receive and transmit). TCP segmentation offload over IPv4 and IPv6. Support for TCP/IPv4, UDP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6 and UDP/IPv6 checksum offload. Supports jumbo frames up to 9000 bytes (strongly recommended for 2.5GBit operation). Fully optimized for Catalina (doesn't work with Mojave and below). Note that older versions of macOS might not support 2.5GB Ethernet. Supports Wake on LAN (untested). Supports VLAN (untested). Support for Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) which can be disabled by setting enableEEE to NO in the drivers Info.plist without rebuild. The default is YES. The driver is published under GPLv2.  
      Current Status
      The driver has been tested successfully under Catalina (10.15.4 and above) and, according to first tests, is working stable. I haven't experienced any Kernel Panics during my tests and is working stable on my primary work machine. The driver has been designed to work with Catalina but might also work with Mojave, provided you build from source with Xcode 10.. Please keep in mind that support for 2.5GBit Ethernet was introduced in Mojave (or maybe High Sierra?) so that there is no way to make it work with Sierra or below.  
      Known Issues
      Using autoselect medium it seems to prefer negotiating a connection speed of 1Gbit with my switch so that I had to select 2.5GBit/s manually in order to achieve this speed but it might be different with other switches.   Installation
      You might want to install the driver to /L/E as usual but it's also ok to use Clover's injection function (installation in the EFI folder). Use your favorite kext installation tool for installation or perform the installation manually (for Clover injection). It's your call!  
      Troubleshooting
      Make sure you have followed the installation instructions especially when you have issues with certain domains while the others are working fine. Use the debug version to collect log data when trying to track down problems. The kernel log messages can be retrieved with "log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug" in order to retrieve kernel logs. Include the log data when asking for support or giving feedback. I'm an engineer, not a clairvoyant. Don't copy and paste large amounts of log data to your post. Create an archive with the log data and attach it to your post. In case you don't want to make your log data publicly accessible, contact me via PM and I will provide you a mail address to send it directly to me.  Delete the following files: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist In Terminal run netstat -s in order to display network statistics. Carefully examine the data for any unusual activity like a high number of packets with bad IP header checksums, etc. In case auto-configuration of the link layer connection doesn't work it might be necessary to select the medium manually in System Preferences under Network for the interface. Use Wireshark to create a packet dump in order to collect diagnostic information. Keep in mind that there are many manufacturers of network equipment. Although Ethernet is an IEEE standard, different implementations may show different behavior causing incompatibilities. In case you are having trouble try a different switch or a different cable.  
      Changelog
      Version 1.0.0d6 (2020-06-14) Fixed chip recognition. Version 1.0.0d3 (2020-04-20) First working development release.  
      Getting the driver
      Source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/Mieze/LucyRTL8125Ethernet You'll find the lastest prebuilt binary here in this thread (see below).  

• By oetzi
      Hi, I got an old but well-working El Capitan on my Hackintosh, with Maldon patched Clover folder and DSDT.

I had to update my Mobo BIOS from f( to F10 and now... my Hackintosh doesn't work anymore.

I can only boot with -x -s flags, with no graphics (you can see the card in my signature).

Without using these flags I can see the black screen with mouse pointer disappearing and some flashings (maybe the progress bar).

I'm using Nvidia Web Drivers. I'm quite sure it's a "graphic card issue" but I can't manage how to get the system working again.

Can somebody help to solve this issue?

Thanks!
    • By k.panic
      Ciao ragazzi,

ho provato ad eseguire l'installer di Yosemite su un
      Asrock H110 BTC+
      Intel G3900 (con FakeCPUID 0x0306A0 e flag -xcpm)
      GeForce 710

ma dopo aver raggiunto lo step di "bluetooth transport" mi dà il simbolo del divieto d'accesso.. Cosa sbaglio?