What happened to GMA900 10.4.8 support?

MichalK

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why GMA900 users to have 10.4.8 QE/CI working must recover previous versions of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and OpenGL.framework ???

Why newer kext/framework doesn't work properly with GMA900? Is there any way of patching it? Not that there's anything wrong with the previous ones, just I'm curious why cannot use latest drivers.

only the developer transition kit used GMA900 - all intel macs using onboard graphics use the GMA950. either apple deliberately broke support for GMA900, or by accident. either way, they have no reason to support hardware which doesnt exist in any intel mac ever released.

down the page on this site, there is an old tutorial for enabling gma900 on 10.4.6.

http://art5dog.com/techcast/2006/04/osx86-...working-on.html

what makes it interesting, is that his solution includes gma950 kexts. someone should mess about and see if there is anything helpful there. might be, might not.

back in the day, i tried his directions out, they worked. :(

i'm unable to experiment with gma900 and true 10.4.8 myself, cause i'm not switching to an SSE3 capable cpu until until the 4.8 kernel is adapted for SSE2 and tested. good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
I just want to let everybody know that I followed the old tutorial and my intel GMA 900 had QE/CI working. Before that I had blue/black screen with unreadable screen if I removed all the *950* files.

I've also tried to follow this guide - everything seemed to work fine except for a mouse cursor. The effect I was getting was like the mouse cursor was not accelerated (keeping it over some animations - quicktime movies, or widgets core image "waves" caused the cursor to flicker). After following paulicat's guides these symptoms are gone. The downside is I must use older versions of AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and OpenGL.framework.

You can reinstall the opengl.framework from the 10.4.8 install DVD and will still have full support. This was the only way I could get FinalCutPro to work.

You mean, reinstall opengl.framework to old, or new drivers? There are two approaches to get the GMA900 working (at least, these two I know):

1) edit 915.kext's info.plist to use gma950's kexts (new opengl.framework, new appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext) - which gave me worse support for mouse cursor (flickering over animations) however qe/ci was working

2) use old files (AppleIntel915*.*, old appleintelintegratedframebuffer.kext, old opengl.framework) - everything seem to work fine; haven't tried final cut pro yet. This combination gives me stable mouse cursor.

The old tutorial is not there anymore, where I can find these steps...

Thanks.

I just want to let everybody know that I followed the old tutorial and my intel GMA 900 had QE/CI working. Before that I had blue/black screen with unreadable screen if I removed all the *950* files.

• 1 month later...