X2 or Opteron?!

-jordn-

6 posts in this topic

hey there,

I managed to get the JaS 10.4.7 image installed correctly, and then the 10.4.8 update. Most things are recognised on my MSI K8N Neo4-F , based system- usb full speed, ac97 audio (2 channels only) Ethernet, ATA and SATA (sata not tested!). at the moment, i have an AMD 3200+ (venice), but i need more power. I am concidering either a dual-core 939 Opteron based CPU or just a standard AMD X2 based one. not sure which one is better, so i wanted to know if anybody had any thoughts as to which one i should choose?

also, if anybody knows of an 8 channel PCI soundcard that is fully supported that would be most helpful :blink:

thanks again,

jordn.

anyone?

You may just have to wait a while, don't think there are nearly as many AMD users as Intel (specifically in this forum), because it's much more compatible with OS X. My memory of reading the HCL is that very few people had mentioned using opterons, so from an OS X standpoint no one may know the answer. I'd think it's safe to say more people have use X2 CPUs, as to functionality, I don't know.

This may shy you away from AMD atleast for OSX86. I'm having a hella time getting OSX86 install on my AMD X2 4800 (maybe it's the ati 200 {censored}). I've install it on my laptop hp nc6000 which is a intel Pentium M 2.0ghz, works great. Considering you have better luck than me in AMD, only 2 obstacles u may have is that you can only use sse2 (maybe there is an fix already) and you may only be able to use 1 core, ..stutter sydrome.. (again maybe there is already a fix). This assuming you are only swapping out cpu and got everything else working. good luck. I may even give it another shot if you can successfully make it work.

Btw. Opteron and X2 are virtually same thing (beside cache for lower priced X2 models) but tested differently. Opteron are tested for a server environment, and you get unlock multiplier.

The price of Opteron and X2 gap is almost nothing (depending on your supplier) (woot price war, unfortunately i got it when it was $200-$300 price difference)

Newegg has Opteron 175 (2.2ghz) or AMd x2 4400 (2.2ghz) for about $249 as of today. Damn the price dropped so much. I would get Opteron , same price (atleast for this model), unlock multiplier (option for overclocking). If you really want speed king without all the overclocking go for AMD FX series...but i going off topic.

hey alexbabyboy,

both the things you mention have been fixed, sse3 is installed but does not show up in system profiler. to test if its working properly, just run iTunes 7, which is heavily dependant on SSE3 to run. As for the stutter syndrome, simply enter

"idlehalt=0" (without quotations)

to stop stuttering and use both cores. it works for some, and there has been X2 and Opteron success, as well as the usual Pentium success. Core and Core 2 users dont seem to have that problem....

thanks for your advice, but im just now gunna save up for a Mac Pro to stop compatibility problems.

hope this helps for your X2, and good luck!

jordn.