[GUIDE] Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520 with macOS Sierra

doixanh

54 posts in this topic

1. Specs

2. Requirements 

3. Create USB Install. For full guide please see here

4. Install

- During boot, press F12 to have boot list. Choose your USB to start. Use 'IntelCapriFB=4' to boot the installation.

Hi.

Thanks for this guide. I successfully created the USB install - disk, but the USB does not seem bootable: F12 shows me the boot list (using UEFI boot, secure boot OFF) but the USB stick is not appearing.

Any idea what went wrong? I first thought it was because of the UEFI boot mode: changed it to legacy (which gives me a USB flash drive as boot option), but no luck (nothing happens when choosing for the USB drive).

Anyone any advice?

FYI (but perhaps important): my current set-up is a single SSD drive, dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10. I created the USB installer in a virtual machine running Yosemite Zone

PS: sorry if this is a noob question (quite new in this stuff :)  )

--

EDIT: I managed to create a bootable macOS Sierra USB installer (from Windows 10). It boots perfectly to the macOS Sierra installer. Had no time to continue installation, but will come back to this topic with more feedback about my progress. To be continued  :)

Managed to install MacOS Sierra ? but only thing I am struggling with is a) I always need to boot from the USB installer (no big deal for me), but b ) I cannot get the HDMI working ?... I installed your kext (as you explained in the opening post) but how / where can I set that IntelCapriFB parameter? I don't find the clover.plist on the USB installer disk (from which I am booting).

Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Another update: I took your clover.plist file and reinstalled macOS and now I have HDMI output. Great  :) But now the next issue: no dual monitor (the internal one stays blank). So, what's next  :( ? How can I get my internal monitor up-and-running again?

EDIT : rebooting and now I have dual monitor set-up. Great !  :) 

EDIT2 : everything working now, also audio and brightness. Really great, and I love the macOS experience. Thanks for your guide!

Edited by bwydoogh

One more question  :) : which display profile are you using for the built-in display? I was used to use a calibrated one (https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/Inspiron_15R_SE.icc (posted in the review https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Dell-Inspiron-15R-Special-Edition-Notebook.78323.0.html)) on Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I also want to use that one as the colors are too blue (when using the default "Display"). The only thing I am seeing now is that Google Chrome (Firefox not, Safari not) also seems to apply this profile, making the colors on some websites looking too yellow. So just wondering: what is your display set-up?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulate on your success.

I manually calibrated myself, as each screen is different. I have my LVDS laptop screen and a Dell U2414h with HDMI connection.

The thing is: I never had such difference between browsers in Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10, using exact the same profile for my built-in display. See attached screenshot how things look like (and notice the color difference) -- from left to right: Google Chrome (too yellow), Firefox and Safari. On my smartphone, I see the same color as Firefox and Safari shows me in macOS. And Google Chrome is my favorite browser, so quite frustrating I have this issue.

Any help, and clue? May I ask which browser you are using?

post-2149620-0-81444600-1498403529_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

No idea, I havent updated to 10.12.6 yet :)

/edit: just updated and found no serious problem, except to remove AppleHDA.kext :)

I launched the upgrade from 10.12 (yes, 10.12; had not made the upgrade to 10.12.5 yet) to 10.12.6 and everything worked fine (even brightness, even HDMI out, ethernet ... ) (and I did not replace AppleHDA.kext... audio still working). Great  :). I did not expect that an upgrade on a hackintosh would be so smooth.

post-2149620-0-66877400-1500993093_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am getting static noises when outputing the audio through HDMI at 24 bit depth, with 16 bit it works fine, any tip?

Happy to hear from other Inspiron 7520 users using macOS. I already asked this in this thread, but may I know which display profile (preferences > displays > color) you are using? Or did you calibrate your screen?

Not totally convinced that the colors of my built-in display are perfect on macOS. 

• 1 month later...

Did this all but there is no extra option to choose which bootloader, and the fresh Sierra install in my Application folder is not being installed in the USB drive..
I tried practical everything on the book but can't manage I used Sierra Macpwd for Sierra and Installation failed, then downloaded Macpwd for Sierra high, successful but can't boot and there is no Sierra install on the USB...what am I doing wrong????

• 1 month later...

Had no luck when upgrading to High Sierra (but luckily I had cloned my MacOS partition before - successfully restored afterwards): black screen during update, nothing happening.

Anyone had more luck?

Great  :)

Got the High Sierra 10.13.1 update working on my Inspiron 7520. I don't know why it works now: it may be because I skipped the HFS+ to APFS conversion as I ran the upgrade as follows, or because there were some fixes in the 10.13.1 update: 

/Applications/"Install macOS High Sierra.app"/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO --agreetolicense

Everything working fine... no need to do anything special.

post-2149620-0-60018600-1509608667_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm back :)

I got a refreshed 10.12 just now. I had to use Capri 04 to boot the 10.12 installer with LVDS, install as normal.

After installation, I had to copy FakeSMC FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux to boot. VoodooHDA is required for sound, and AppleHDA needs to be removed. I had to copy 10.12.6 Capri over for my binary patch to work.

Everything in my previous clover EFI partition still works as expected.

I struggled to boot the 10.13 installer for several months already. Always got black screen. I tried both MacPwn and Un1b3ast, none was able to make a bootable USB installer for me.

@bwydoogh: how did you make your 10.13 installer bootable? or was it only a direct App Store upgrade?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still stuck with 10.13, could not get the installer to boot at all.

Meanwhile, I was able to have a fully working 10.13.2 on my desktop machine (i7 3770k, Gigabyte z68p, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080, 1TB SSD) with not-too-long attempt.

I think I need to rework the whole thing...