Best hackintosh laptop to replace the 17" MacBook Pro Late 2011

TubeExperience

8 posts in this topic

It has been 5 years now that Apple has discontinued 17" MacBook Pro.

My old Late 2011 can't live forever, esp. with the Radeongate issue the 2011 is prone to.

...so, I have been looking for a hackintosh replacement.

Anyway, what are some of the laptops that I should considered?

I am well aware that dual graphics switching is totally unsupported.

HP offers the build-to-order (BTO) HP ENVY 17 with Intel Core i7-6700HQ + Intel HD Graphics 530 (NO Discrete Graphics) which could be a good option.

Obviously, the suggestion box is wide open.

Hello and Welcome to InsanelyMac.  :)

This HP ENVY 17 sounds very good, and the Intel HD 530 is fully compatible until 10.11.4.

But you know if the other devices are compatible?

E.g: WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, etc...?

And don't forget a thing.

Hackintosh is not 100% OOB as an Macbook, sometimes what you want will work or not... :yes:

Hello and Welcome to InsanelyMac.  :)

This HP ENVY 17 sounds very good, and the Intel HD 530 is fully compatible until 10.11.4.

But you know if the other devices are compatible?

E.g: WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet, etc...?

And don't forget a thing.

Hackintosh is not 100% OOB as an Macbook, sometimes what you want will work or not... :yes:

Hi, thanks for the greetings.

Is there a beginner's guide?

I've been reading here and everything is so overwhelming.

I think I need to go a few steps at a time and not jump right in.

I do see that others have already done prior work with this laptop: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310013-hp-envy-17-6700hq-intel-hd-530-partially-working/

Until 10.11.4 is wrong Allan. HD530 still works till this day, however if your DVMT Pre-alloc is smaller than 64MB you will have flickering screen which is unusable

Wow, nice know that!

Thanks @vusun123  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Go with an HP, brother. I have an 8470p and literally every hardware component is supported. The only thing one must do is replace the WiFi module.

The rest, power management, sleep, sound(AppleHDA -NOT- voodoo), accelerated graphics, trackpad(with 2-finger & 3-finger), bluetooth, firewire, usb, ethernet--it all works perfectly

Go with an HP, brother. I have an 8470p and literally every hardware component is supported. The only thing one must do is replace the WiFi module.

The rest, power management, sleep, sound(AppleHDA -NOT- voodoo), accelerated graphics, trackpad(with 2-finger & 3-finger), bluetooth, firewire, usb, ethernet--it all works perfectly

That one is supported by Rehabman, and yes I have the 8470p too, a beast of a machine. Currently running with an eGPU - GTX 770 for a little gaming as well

• Like 1

• 2 years later...