Stuck on boot after manual shut down

11 posts in this topic

Hi.

Everything was working great on my 10.11.5 system. Today I was copying files between a sd card and a usb stick. All of the sudden, Finder stopped responding. I tried to re-launch it, but it didn't work. I tried to shut down the computer, but it was taking a very long time to do so. Since I was late for a meeting, I had to manually shut down the computer. After I came back from the meeting, I tried to start the computer, but I would get stuck on boot with the white Apple logo. Tried manually restarting, and here is where it gets weird: I pressed the restart button on the case and I booted directly into Windows (I have two drives, one for each OS). I went back to my BIOS to see why my booting options had changed, and I noticed my saved BIOS profiles were gone.

Anyway, I tried bootflags -v and -x and this is what I get:

kL3w1iD.jpg

I know you guys get this all the time, but I'm seriously in the middle of a project that I need to finish ASAP. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank you, Allan.

How can do the following:

Usually it can be solved by patching Device(RTC) in the DSDT.

Currently I have access to a Mac Book running Snow Leopard and a Windows machine. 

Thanks again. 

Hi again. 

I tried to boot without patches as you said, trying different combinations in clover (removing the plus signs shown on the image below) but all I get is the booting progress bar that reaches (very slowly) to the end but nothing happens.

l8W4GsA.jpg

What else could I try? 

I've read RehabMan's guide to patching DSDT, but it mentions using MaciASL, which is only for OSX Lion and above, and as I mentioned before, I only have access to a Mac running Snow Leopard.

Please let me know if there's anything else you can think I can try.

Thanks. 

Ok, so I have access to MaciASL, and I have extracted my DSDT. How can I patch Device(RTC) in the DSDT?

Is that something I can actually do with MaciASL? Or is that I edit on a config.plist or something like that?

Thanks.

If you use this fix in Clover, then is not necessary do it in DSDT. Is the same effect... :rolleyes:

But if you still want do that, here is the patch:

into device name_hid PNP0B00 code_regex (IO\s\((?:\s*[^,]+,\s*(?:\/\/\s.*)?\s*\n)+\s*)(\dx\d+)(,\s*(?:\/\/\s.*)?\s*\n\s*\)) replace_matched begin %10x02%3 end;

See here how you can apply DSDT patches:

DSDT/SSDT: Edit using MacIASL

Note: If you'll use DSDT for fix RTC, uncheck that option in Clover.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both very much.

It was a real pain in the ass dealing with this issue, but I was able to finally resolve it after trying many different things. Long story short, I tired Allan's method, but unfortunately didn't work. I did reinstall all my kexts and that helped me boot to the OS again. However, that same day 10.11.6 came out, and I decided to upgrade since I already was struggling with my computer. The upgrade took me back to square 1, and I wasn't able too boot all the way to the OS. After some digging in the forums, I came across a post that suggested trashing the Nvidia kexts. I did that and problem resolved. 

Not sure what exactly caused my problem, but I'm guessing it had something to do with the graphics kexts more than anything else.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Cheers.