My first build, will this work?

Adriel Roman

6 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone!

I'm currently getting ready to buy all the parts to my first hackintosh rig and I need a little help from some experts.

First, a little background. I film professionally. With that comes a lot of video editing, and all the editing software we use at my office are Mac OS X based which is why I'm building a hackintosh in the first place. Currently, I'm editing off of a Macbook Pro with a 2.4 ghz i7 proccessor, 8gb DDR3 RAM, Dual Graphics (Intel HD 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M) with a 250gb SSD drive. Pretty nice and portable rig, but doesn't quite cut it when breaking into the realm of 4k.

So, I figured I'd build a powerful rig that can dual boot Mac OS X and Windows 10. That way I can also use it as a gaming rig for entertainment at home and in the office. Also trying to keep it fairly portable, hense the mini itx suggestions.

Here are the parts I'm considering for my rig, hoping that you guys can help me figure out what's compatible, what isn't, what could be a better value, etc. Thank you in advance: 

Processor: 

Intel Boxed Core I5-6500 FC-LGA14C 3.20 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 (BX80662I56500​)

Motherboard:

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Mini-ITX DDR4 Motherboard GA-H170N-WIFI

RAM:

Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K8G4D240FS​B (Gray)

SSD:

Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM​)

FAN:

Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel 115x Based Retail Cooling NH-L9I

Power Supply:

Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT High Power 24 Pin Mini-ITX Power Supply

WIFI Card:

BCM94352Z NGFF M.2 WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 802.11ac up to 867 Mbps card 22*30mm

Graphics Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card 02G-P4-3753-KR

Case:

SilverStone Technology Mini-ITX Slim Small Form Factor Computer Case RVZ02B

Thanks again for reading my post, guys.

Hopefully you can help me get this list settled in and I can build my first rig.

Can't wait!

Hi Adriel, 

I'm little concerned over the 160w PSU. The recommended PSU for the graphics card alone is 400w. I'm wondering if you can even fit the graphics card in that silverstone case. Since you will do some rendering and stuff, I don't suggest Samsung EVO, as it is TLC. (You can read more about SLC, MLC and TLC if you google it). 

If you tell us your budget for this new rig, we can help you decide what hardware to get. :)

Otherwise the specs are good, and you can run OS X/MacOS with it. 

Regards, 

Dwarfy 

• Like 2

Thanks for your response, Dwarfy!

Very good to know about the power supply and SSD, thank you.

I'd LIKE to keep it around 700-800 budget if possible with the specs I'm trying to achieve right now. (If you thought it possible to go lower than 700 that would obviously be welcome, but I'm prepared to spend my budget).

I sometimes have to travel and continue post production when I arrive to my hotels, so I'm trying to find a case that can fit what I need, but potentially small enough to go in a carryon suitcase with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Thank you!

Hi there, 

I made a pc part list, you can check it and see. 

I understand you have to travel and stuff, therefore I suggest you get a new MacBook Pro, with a dedicated GFX, if you can afford it or wait till you can. New lines of mac's are highly anticipated soon. Even the Intel iris pro graphics are good enough. 

This rig acutally looks perfect for what I need! Thank you so much, Dwarfy, you've been an amazing help!

Can't wait to build this and finally have a power tower for editing and gaming!

Hehe, you're welcome. :D