Clover UEFI Usb boots to El Capitan install screen but target SSD not showing in Disk Utility

Wanderer3

7 posts in this topic

I need assistance,

I have created a bootable usb with El Capitan 10.11.5 and Clover for UEFI boot only, installing the recommended defaults, i.e Install for uefi booting, Install Clover in the ESP, and Following another tutorial I also installed several kexts (FakeSMC, ApplePS2Controller, AppleACPIPS2Nub,  NullCPUPowerManagement ) in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.1. directory.

I have two SSD's installed, 1 has a windows 7 installation, and the other, the target drive for os x install.

The os x install drive is pre formatted os x extended, journaled, GUID.

The USB boots into the clover menu, and the target SSD is not visible, although the SSD with win 7 is.

Booting from usb goes through all the way to the install El Capitan menu, but when I open disk utility to format the target drive, the drive is still not visible, only the boot USB shows and it is listed as an internal drive. There are two other entries listed on the disk utility screen, I have included pictures to illustrate.

The bios version is f5.

I have tried various settings in the bios and even tried reflashing it, but still no progress.

My previous build was a core i7 sandy bridge on ga Z79x ud3P legacy f7 bios, running Mavericks, and it was rock solid, until it's sad demise, which drove me to try a newer build.  :(

Any advice on where I may have gone wrong would be very welcome.  :)

post-1718529-0-98120700-1465500625_thumb.jpgpost-1718529-0-55967300-1465500662_thumb.jpg

Make sure that in BIOS, you have AHCI enabled.

With Clover you can dispense some kexts, like NullCPU, and use AICPMpatch.  ;)

And if you want, in this case that is just for install OS X, isn't necessary use the last OS X version (10.11.5), you can have better results using the first version - 10.11.0

Thanks for the reply Allan,

I tried earlier versions of El capitan, but still no joy.

I am beginning to think this may be a bios related problem, as the install usb sometimes normally shows up with two listings in the boot priority list, then at random times it only has one, and uefi option has disappeared.

I tried clearing the bios, but no joy. I also noticed that cyberdevs has the same MB with an i7 6700k chip and has managed to install El capitan, so I tried substituting his EFI folder for mine without his DSDT and CPU SSDT, but got kernel panics and could not get to the install screen.

I am new to all this and am on a really steep learning curve.

Now, if only Beatles4 would pop up with his planned idiots guide, as he is building a nearly identical system, ga z170x gaming 5, i5 6600K, and Nvidia GTX 970 GPU. Lol. :lol:

That would be great.

Seriously, I will get it eventually, I just need to go back a few steps and take it a little more slowly. 

Now if I could only solve the problem of the missing drives at os x install menu,  :wallbash:

Allan,

the good news is, I have successfully installed El Capitan, i did try to follow the methods you linked to on Olarila, but the bios layouts were too dissimilar, so I tried again with a fresh installation of Clover, removed everything except my target drive, used minimal kexts, i.e. FakeSMC, NullpowerManagement, and three kext patches, set bootlegs -v Nvda_drv=0 and booted into ElCapitan install, where for the first time ever, the target drive was visible, installed El Capitan, and reached the desktop.

I copied over my EFI from boot drive to main drive and successfully rebooted. I had a problem with installation of Nvidia drivers using nvda_drv=1, but this was fixed by changing profile in SMBIOS to Mac pro 3.1. Mizen's brilliant work on IntelMausiEthernet.kext fixed my network problems, I've never had a better connection, ever, and although I still have a few things to fix, sound etc, I am well pleased with the result.

Maybe it's a little early, but I would like to thank everyone who has helped me get this far, if it wasn't for the brilliant work you all do, and the unselfish way you all share, I would still be floundering.

My best regards to you all. 

• Like 1