Upgrading 10.4.7 -> 10.4.8 (kernel too)

TaterSalad77

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

Here are my system stats:

System Software Overview:

System Version:	Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8J2135)
 Kernel Version:	Darwin 8.4.1
 Boot Volume:	hfs+

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:	jMac
 Machine Model:	ADP2,1
 CPU Type:	Intel® Pentium® M processor
 Number Of CPUs:	1
 CPU Speed:	1.86 GHz
 L2 Cache (per CPU):	2 MB
 CPU Features:	FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS TM EST
 Memory:	1023 MB
 Bus Speed:	100 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	SONOMA01.86C.0052.D.0506231459 (Phoenix Technologies LTD)
 Serial Number:	Not Applble

I want to upgrade my system to 10.4.8 (both system and kernel). I've read from a blog that I should upgrade my system to 10.4.8 first. I could do this with the JaS Update Intel SSE2 release, however my current location blocks all torrent traffic.

However, I am under the impression that I can extract the files from the MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.8Intel.pkg file and upgrade my kernel and everything will be wonderful right? If so, could you provide some details on how I would go about doing this?

Also, can someone point me in the right direction of which kernel I need.

Much Appreciated!

I'd say wait on it for a bit, someone will probably put together an update before too long, that includes the kernel. For now if you want 10.4.8 I'd use the 10.4.8 updater JaS put together for now. The 10.4.8 kernel stuff is really exciting, but I think it's too soon, I don't think many people have it working all that great on SSE2 machines.

You'd need the Semthex kernel I believe, the one you have to compile yourself with XCode. I've read the instructions but I don't understand where you need to go to find all of the stuff you need to make it work.

Keep reading and searching, there really isn't a simple answer yet.

After looking at your spec (if they are correct - I trust output from cpu-z), I would say no.

1. You need SSE3 at the minimum (this may change in future), and your spec say you don't have it.

2. You need very mac compatible machine (GMA900 or GMA950).

Assume you will fail. So backup your songs, photos, movies, and homeworks before you start.