Can anyone help?

jordn

10 posts in this topic

Easy: install SuSe WinXP & OSX86, then set up the bootloader of your choice to load them.

If you need to know how then try searching the forum & wiki.

If you get really stuck, try making a detailed post of your progress & where you get stuck, & maybe someone will have an answer.

There are loads of ways to do this, so you really have to try it out for your particular setup.

Personally, I prefer the Linux-first method: install Linux, making sure you set up your partitions as you want them right at the beginning, with the OSX partition as type af. Then install the other OS'es & add them to the bootloader of your choice, (I use lilo). sometimes you need to mess about with boot cd's to get the bootloader set up after the OS'es are installed, due to installers messing with the mbr or or active partition. just don't panic, for every mess there is a way out.

Good Luck!

(look we've passed 12000 members!)

Sure. Fallow the guides for installing and dual boot OSx86 and XP. Then install SuSE last.

EDIT: I forget something. Please use Hagar's tip as I use Acronis Boot Selector for my quad boot system. Sorry for that. :)

i was looking through the guides and none of the ones i can find say anything about dual booting using the deadmoo image :(

is this just me being dense? please could someone put a link to dual booting using deadmoo's image <_<

p.s does anybody know any freeware boot selection software?

thanks again,

jordn :D

Pretty much you'll have to cook your own soup. The very first time I did it, it was, XP, deadmoo on vmware, then dd to physical disk, then installed fedora. Much of the information you are looking for are already posted and talked about to death in this forum.

try this link. Maybe it will help? http://www.xplodenet.com/blog/?page_id=11

Best of luck

Pretty much you'll have to cook your own soup. The very first time I did it, it was, XP, deadmoo on vmware, then dd to physical disk, then installed fedora. Much of the information you are looking for are already posted and talked about to death in this forum.

try this link. Maybe it will help? http://www.xplodenet.com/blog/?page_id=11

Best of luck

i just had a brainwave lol... if i took my 80gb hard disk, partitioned it twice for windows+a linux distribution, and left some unallocated space at the end of the drive, would i then be able to dd the image in windows to it, then just use a bootloader to tri boot?

please let me know if anyone has tried it...

jordn

Yes, I think that will work. Use Darwin's boot loader. I don't want to complicate things for you but you can also use Grub. The only OS that will not see the Linux and Mac partition is XP. For that, you will have to use chain0 and edit your boot.ini

Lots of ways you can do it. But the main thing is, you have to plan carefully becuaes you don't want to install 3 OS's 3x :blink:

hey, i was wondering if it would be possible to tri-boot windows xp, mac and suse. would any of you guys be able to give me a few pointers? I have all the required hardware and the x86.img file, so can any1 help?

jordn :)

Easiest way is to install Windows 1st. It likes to think its the only OS on your computer and all Microsoft products overwrite your MBR.

Then install SUSE. You can install GRUB into MBR at this point. SUSE will shrink your Windows partition for you. Don't accept the default partion. Instead shrink it at least 6GB more for your OS X partition. In the partion screen create a 6GB partion for OS X with no boot point to use for OS X later.

Then use SUSE to dd your disk image to the partion you created.

If you must install Microsoft OS other than 1st, or onto 2nd hard disk, a neat trick is to disconnect your 1st disk, install the OS, then change the 2nd disk back to slave. Then Microsoft won't screw up your boot loader.

I run 7 OSs:

1st disk: Windows XP, FreeBSD 5.4, 2nd copy of XP

2nd disk: OS/2 Warp 4, DOS 6.22, SUSE 9.3, Windows ME

3rd disk: OS X

I like Boot Magic for boot loader. An Icon for OS X x86 is attached.

Hi,

I installed a triple boot with OSX86, XP, Suse 9.3

First install the "deadmoo" image with a linux live -CD from here:

http://www.inside-security.de/insert.html

You just need a data partition with the image inside and a HD on witch your install it:

Boot from it, open a root shell "with right mouse clic – Terminal session – Rxvt super user" and type:

# mkdir /myfolder (create /myfolder in RAM)

# mount /dev/sda2 /myfolder (change /dev/sda2 with YOUR data partition)

# cd /myfolder

# dd if=tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda bs=16k

now it's installed but before you continue type:

# cfdisk /dev/hda

create a primary NTFS partion, then a logical swap, linux and FAT32 partition with the rest of the free space.

Install Windows and then Linux (booth OS should find the partitions you created before), configure GRUB and then you have a tri-boot

The partions are in my case:

/dev/hda1 for OSX86 (primary)

/dev/hda2 for XP (primary)

/dev/hda5 for swap (logical)

/dev/hda6 for Suse (logical)

/dev/hda7 as DATA partition for all OS (logical)

DrJägermeister