NVMe experiences

Brabbelbla

NVMe experiences  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is your motherboard manufacturer and which chipset (series) are you using?

• ASRock, 100 series
    • ASRock, X99
    • ASRock, Z97
    • ASUS, 100 series
    • ASUS, X99
    • ASUS, Z97
    • Gigabyte, 100 series
    • Gigabyte, X99
    • Gigabyte, Z97
    • MSI, 100 series
    • MSI, X99
    • MSI, Z97
    • Other
  2. 2. Which NVMe SSD(s) are you using?

• Intel 750
    • Samsung 950 Pro
    • Samsung SM951 NVMe
    • Other
  3. 3. What is your experience with OS functionality?

• OS X working fine
    • OS X having wake delay only
    • OS X having issues, other OS working fine
    • OS X having issues, other OS having issues as well

12 posts in this topic

Update: please report at this thread.

Hi all,

There seems to be quite some confusion about NVMe support, both with and without OSX. Some people report it as working fine, while others (including me) have different experiences, even though the boards should support NVMe. So I thought I'd do a poll, to see what other peoples' experiences are and getting a clearer view of what configurations are problematic at this point. The number of poll questions and answers is limited and knowing the combinations is important, so if you answer please take the time to state your specific board, SSD and - if any - your issues in a post. Thanks all!

Reports so far:

Working:

(2x) ASRock X99 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

ASUS X99 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

(3x) Gigabyte 100 [incl. GA-Z170X-UD5] with Samsung 950 Pro (with wake delay)

(2x) Gigabyte Z97 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

Gigabyte X58 [GA-X58A-UD7] with SM951

Serious issues:

ASUS 100 [Z170 Pro Gaming] with Samsung 950 Pro (wake delay, KP's at reboot/shutdown)

Edited by Brabbelbla

• 4 weeks later...

Asrock x99 with SM951 and 10.11.4 beta 6

can i know work with

SM951 work uefi mode ?

any kexts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at it now, this poll is not really useful. People need to know more than chipset series. As I don't see how to remove the poll I made a new thread, which is intended to be more comprehensive. Will try to carry useful info over.

@mods: can this thread be closed?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeap bro on UEFI mode with latest bios.

no needed kexts..

my usb installer (clover etc.) doesnt see my Samsung SSD SM951-NVMe drive - m.2 slot on asrock x99m extreme4 with newest bios 3.0 (which sees the m2 ssd as nvme in bios)

i Try to help you bro,

use the latest clover with these drivers (attach clover folder)

take off all other Sata drives.

extract DSDT from Windows or linux and use on your bootable USB

use latest 10.11.5 El_Capitan from appstore.

if not roll back ver 2.0 bios.

That Clover folder is from my USB installer and works for sure with SM951 but my motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme43.1/

attachicon.gifCLOVER.zip

your sm951 is NVME ?

i Try to help you bro,

use the latest clover with these drivers (attach clover folder)

take off all other Sata drives.

extract DSDT from Windows or linux and use on your bootable USB

use latest 10.11.5 El_Capitan from appstore.

if not roll back ver 2.0 bios.

That Clover folder is from my USB installer and works for sure with SM951 but my motherboard is http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme43.1/

attachicon.gifCLOVER.zip

that does not work so far,

what i've done:

I've used the latest 10.11.5 from appstore,

created the usb installer with my hackintosh 10.10.5 (signature), installed the latest clover v2.3 r3526,

used your config but with nv_disable=1 and verbose information (gtx 970 on the x99 build),

and just the latest fakesmc.kext in 10.10, 10.11. and /other,

why kext in 10.10 for el capitan? because I'm not sure which kext is loaded since the newest clover version has this information in configuration boot up: "Set OS Version if not: 10.10.10", if i dont tell clover to use 10.11.5 it does not boot up

1st try: installer boots up with fakesmc.kext and your config.plist and my additions, i dont see the NVME drive:

post-465461-0-10250300-1463842680_thumb.jpg

and diskutil (with or without ssd from win 10 - same result):

post-465461-0-51321500-1463842702_thumb.jpg

2nd try: like 1st but with NVMeGenerics.kext, no boot up, it holds at

post-465461-0-30534500-1463842923_thumb.jpg

I've extracted the DSDT raw file with win10 installed on one ssd, I've used a description and tool for win 10 - but the dsdt is corrupted maciasl is telling me that.  dont find the link anymore, i will try aida64 now.

MAYBE:

Is the problem resulting in my windows 10 installation? I've installed the nvme drive into the m2 slot, i've installed win10 on a sata connected ssd while the m2 ssd was installed! when i boot into win 10, the drive tools of windows sees the nvme drive and it has formated the drive with a guid boot sector. I've deleted this partition table with my win10 usb installer, but still the os x usb installer is not able to see the nvme drive. in addition, I'm not able to boot into windows 10 anymore.

Sorry guys my disk is  MZHPV256HDGM

hey moviemakergr, i would have guessed that you are using the xhci version of the m2 ssd ... I'm up and running with my x99m extreme4 on my normal ssd connected to icha sata3 port, with genericnvme.kext i can access my nvme ssd as external drive but no boot up etc. 

Hi all,

There seems to be quite some confusion about NVMe support, both with and without OSX. Some people report it as working fine, while others (including me) have different experiences, even though the boards should support NVMe. So I thought I'd do a poll, to see what other peoples' experiences are and getting a clearer view of what configurations are problematic at this point. The number of poll questions and answers is limited and knowing the combinations is important, so if you answer please take the time to state your specific board, SSD and - if any - your issues in a post. Thanks all!

Reports so far:

Working:

(2x) ASRock X99 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

ASUS X99 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

(3x) Gigabyte 100 [incl. GA-Z170X-UD5] with Samsung 950 Pro (with wake delay)

(2x) Gigabyte Z97 with Samsung 950 Pro; SM951

Gigabyte X58 [GA-X58A-UD7] with SM951

Serious issues:

ASUS 100 [Z170 Pro Gaming] with Samsung 950 Pro (wake delay, KP's at reboot/shutdown)

hey Brabbelia, could you plz add the exact SM951 NVME and AHCI Version in the pool?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at it now, this poll is not really useful. People need to know more than chipset series. As I don't see how to remove the poll I made a new thread, which is intended to be more comprehensive. Will try to carry useful info over.

@mods: can this thread be closed?