Clean install OS X - moving from Chameleon to Clover

SRSR333

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

I was a fairly regular poster on the tmx86 forums until I got banned there (for various reasons, many of them still unknown to me), and it was a coincidence that I got banned there at about the same time I managed to completely stabilise my hackintosh install, without any issues. I've had the same OS X 10.9.5 install on my drive for more than a year now. But over time it got cluttered with a tonne of 3rd-party software (SwitchResX, Adobe stuff, all sorts of video players, 3D modelling software and whatnot). I now have a large amount of free time on my hands, and I'd like to attempt a clean install of OS X on my notebook. 

As mentioned in the title - I'm more familiar with Chameleon than Clover, but I hear rumours about the latter being superior and more powerful. I'd like to give it a go, and see exactly how well it works on my system (which is fully UEFI-capable, but also has a CSM module). However, it's been a year since I last fiddled with hackintoshing, and I'm a little rusty. I'd like to see if I can re-do everything from scratch. Does anyone have tips? How do I migrate Chameleon quickly and effectively to Clover, having as similar a configuration as possible? Ask if you need any files like .dsls and my config.plist. 

Thanks.

@SRSR333,

IMHO, the best way to start is to install Clover on a FAT32 USB stick and experiment with various boot settings in its config.plist (like Chameleon's o.c.b.plist & SMBIOS.plist in one).  This way, your hard disk with chameleon is untouched.  Once you find the settings that successfully boot the computer, you can then install to your HD's EFI partition and easily copy Clover's settings over.

I moved over to Clover about 2 years ago and haven't looked back :) (I dug out my old posts in the Dell laptop thread here and here).

Useful resources

Clover wiki

Clover Instructions @Insanelymac

Sample Configurations

Clover Configurator

Good Luck!

• Like 2