R9 390 El Capitan - Random Black Screen / GPU Driver Hung

=)(=

13 posts in this topic

I'm having issues with my Sapphire R9 390 Nitro in El Capitan.

I use FakeID 0x67B01002 in Clover, I have FixDisplay_0100 set to True and ATI Injection is disabled.

I am using MacPro17,1 SMBIOS but also tried MacPro6,1.

What happens is that the monitor goes black all of sudden and I can't figure out why.

It happens randomly, sometimes it does it several seconds after loggin in to OSX, other times I have managed to use the OS for 1 hour or more before it happens.

What I have noticed when I used teamviewer on iPad to remote control OSX while the monitor was black, I could see the OSX desktop but clicking and scrolling did not work. It's like the system is frozen.

Then I used Putty on Windows to SSH into OSX and used "tail -f /var/log/system.log" to be able to see live what is going on when the monitor goes black.

And here is what is happening:

WindowServer[149]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)

Full log: http://pasted.co/fb87a752

I also see that there is some logs in console which ends with .gpuRestart, which also shows the error about GPU hang.

.gpuRestart log: http://pasted.co/1a183265

Do you have any idea what could be going on? Is it a issue with driver in OSX or is it the GPU? Would switching to another GPU like R9 280x maybe solve the issue? Wanted to test Yosemite but I have Skylake so can only use El Capitan.

config.plist.zip

I was really hoping you had found a solution to this. I have the same card and I have been experiencing the same thing - random black screening that isn't freezing. I can't return the card so I really want to find a solution but I'm not sure where to go next.

Do you know what the 390x ID is? If it's the same as the 290x, that is the one I am using currently

I did not find any other solution then changing GPU.

When I connected to OS X via teamviewer I could see the desktop but not click on anything, like it was totally frozen.

290x and 390x have same ID.

What hardware do you have? Can you test in Mavericks or Yosemite? Maybe it's a El Capitan issue, but I could not try any older version since I have Skylake.

What brand is your 390?

It does not seem to be a issue on 390 or Hawaii only, since somebody with a Pitcairn has similar issue.

O yeah, and it's weird that not everybody with a 390 seems to have this issue.

Now since using 10.11.2 I have much bigger problems than just wake not working.

Console gives me sometimes: WindowServer[163]: GPU Driver appears to be hung (over 5 continuous seconds of unreadiness)

And the screen freezes. Sometimes it will react after a short time, but sometimes i have to restart my computer.

Greets

theandy

Nope, Pitcairn. HD7870.

I did not find any other solution then changing GPU.

When I connected to OS X via teamviewer I could see the desktop but not click on anything, like it was totally frozen.

290x and 390x have same ID.

What hardware do you have? Can you test in Mavericks or Yosemite? Maybe it's a El Capitan issue, but I could not try any older version since I have Skylake.

What brand is your 390?

It does not seem to be a issue on 390 or Hawaii only, since somebody with a Pitcairn has similar issue.

O yeah, and it's weird that not everybody with a 390 seems to have this issue.

I have a Gigabyte GA Z97-HD3 motherboard, i5-4690k, with the Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU, running El Capitan. I have also teamviewered in and I can click things, but nothing really responds, I have a constant pinwheel, but it still knows which application I'm trying to get to, the top bar will change to Finder/Chrome/etc

I have a Gigabyte GA Z97-HD3 motherboard, i5-4690k, with the Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU, running El Capitan. I have also teamviewered in and I can click things, but nothing really responds, I have a constant pinwheel, but it still knows which application I'm trying to get to, the top bar will change to Finder/Chrome/etc

Ok, then you can give Yosemite a try too. I also had Sapphire Nitro, maybe it happens on some brands but not on others.

Those people that does not have this issue seem not to have Sapphire but I am not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heyyo,

Yeah looks like El Capitain doesn't like the R9 390... I have an MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G and the ATi FakeID 0x67B01002 with InjectATi=True and FBname=Radeon or Baladi all produce a bad result of detected GPU as "AMD R9 290/390 7MB" with no Framebuffer or QE/CI...

I tried the "bdmesg" command in terminal and Clover kept thinking my GPU was Evergreen (5000 series) and mentioned Cedar (HD 5400) so is Clover v3346 maybe need to be fixed for proper R9 290/390 detection???

Since Clover ATi FakeID and InjectATi was obviously not working for me? I added in the 0x067B11002 into both info.plist files for AMD8000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonx4000.kext and it then detects my GPU as "AMD 8xxx Series 8192MB" but after about two minutes I get the spinning pinwheel as well and can't do anything...

Maybe Yosemite might be the only choice for us R9 290/390 users??? El Capitain is definitely not friendly to us. I even tried disabling System Integrity Protection via Clovers csr boot settings and that also didn't help.