[GUIDE] GA Z97-D3H - Core i5 Haswell - GTX650 - 8GB GSkill

theconsumer1

5 posts in this topic

eagerness.png eagerness.png wink.png GA-Z97-D3H - GTX650 - EL CAPITAN - 10.11 (clover)wink.png eagerness.png eagerness.png 

post-1048561-0-99214000-1444167578_thumb.jpg

Specs:

GA Z97-D3H (rev 1.1, I am using F9, have used F7 and F8. F7 booted fastest)

Core i5 4430 Haswell 3.0 GHz

EVGA GTX650 1024mb

8GB G.Skill 1333MHz

ASUS USBN13 Wireless Adapter

USB 7.1 Sound Card

120GB SSD

750GB HDD

160GB HDD

10.11(Final) OSX El Capitan

What is Working (virtually everything) :

• App store
  • Wifi (USB)
  • Ethernet (via kext)
  • Power Mangement
  • Wake/Sleep
  • Audio (USB)
  • Graphics 

Minor Issues:

• Sometimes a loud case-fan noise when waking from sleep (completely random and unfixable. No idea what it is---not hardware though)
  • IMPORTANT:  System keeps waking up every 2 hours over night and then goes back to sleep. It eventually shuts off in the middle of the night. This is caused by RTC Alarm. This is under testing. The problem is completely random and can be fixed with darkwake=no in clover configurator. Still under testing.

Notes:

This build uses a USB Soundcard and Asus USB wifi dongle. If curious about exact models, please contact me through this thread. This build has been refined in Yosemite for many weeks with the help of forum members who are much more intelligent than I am (see appreciation below). This build uses a DSDT and SSDT.

Installation:

The best way to create a USB installer is with the tool made by an InsanelyMac user that automates the manual actions. Heres the link, otherwise there are tons of other tutorials for a USB.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/

The Installation for El Capitan requires no removing of Ram or any BS like that. Simply plug and play. 

Bios Settings:

• Disable VT-d
  • Set XHCI to Auto mode
  • Disable IGFX
  • Enable XHCI and EHCI handoff
  • Set SATA Configuration to AHCI
  • Important: Set memory mode to Enhanced Stability

Post Installation:

Follow the directions in specific, precise order for best results:

1. After initial installation, boot into El Capitan with the Clover USB Installer.
  2. Install all network related kexts (For Ethernet, Download here:  ) - Reboot.
  3. Install Clover Bootloader to MAC SSD (r3270 works nice)

Settings for Clover Bootloader:

post-1048561-0-94100700-1444167575_thumb.png           post-1048561-0-23925200-1444167577_thumb.png

4.  Do not reboot yet. Mount the EFI Partition that corresponds to your Mac SSD (the drive you just installed clover to). Navigate to EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 folder   and place the latest version of FakeSMC there. Do not reboot yet

5.  Open Config.plist in Clover Configurator. Make sure that Rootles=0, -XCPM, and darkwake=no flags are checked. Also make sure that SMBIOS is set to iMac 14,2. Make sure that if using the    GTX650, uncheck inject nvidia and intel under graphics.

Explanation:

Rootless=0 is required for El Capitan. It allows 3rd party kexts to be loaded.

-XCPM is Xnu Cpu Power Management. Its required for proper cpu pm with this board

Darkwake=no is to disable the system from awaking in the middle of the night, this causes shutdown (see Issues above)

6.  Optional:​ For maximum compatibility. I recommend using a DSDT and SSDT. SSDTs can be generated with Pike's tool found here:  http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=197  

However, if you have the same board, you can download my personal DSDT and Config file. BUT no guarantees that it will work. Should be harmless though. 

z97D3h - El Capitan Files.zip

DSDT and SSDT, for clover, are to be installed at EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder. The DSDT has been edited by other admins specifically for my build. It fixes and tweaks my stock DSDT so that my board has no errors and such. It is possibly not required, but its best to use it, as   virtually corrects the entire DSDT

7.  If you skipped 6, then the last thing you need to install is Trim Patch in Clover Configuration.

See guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298507-enable-trim-on-non-apple-ssd/

FAQ:

Do i need to update bios version?

No. Many advise that you do, however, BIOS versions rarely affect performance or compatibility.

What about NVIDIA Web Drivers?  

From my experience, the web drivers provide no benefit at all. They do not increase compatibility nor do they offer significant performance increases.

How do I know if CPU Power management is working? 

Download Intel Power Gadget from Intel's website. If you can see that CPU Freq and Power is changing, you got it.

Appreciation:

Thanks for hackintoshosx.cominsanelymac.com, and the many other contributing members of the community, for all their hard work, research, and time. Also, a special thanks to hackintoshosx user/mod/admin Dmos and Kyndder for really helping me out with my build!

For any questions, please address this thread.

Edited by theconsumer1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had USB 3.0 working with Yosemite but been unable to get it working correctly with El Capitan.

UPDATE: I only had motherboard back panel USB ports enabled. Conecting all USB connectors provided a solution ... the front USB 3.0 connecors are working out of the box. Initially I was only trying the back panel USB 3.0 ports, but they simply do not work with USB 3.0 devices (4 wasted USB 3.0 ports). But when I added the front USB 3.0 bracket I gained 2 USB 3.0 ports and so far they have been working great. If anybody else cannot get the 4 back panel USB 3.0 ports working, trying connecting 2 USB 3.0 ports via the front panel connector on the motherboard. This works for me.

I can make use of USB 2.0 devices on the back panel USB 3.0 ports so that is okay for me, for now. I will update if I can get those 4 ports working with USB 3.0 devices. I nearly bought a PCIe USB card to do this, but unless you need more than 2 USB 3.0 ports, then this is not needed.