Cant boot Installer - 'Still waiting for root device'

mickeyd453

11 posts in this topic

Hi

My system is a dell optiplex 980 with an i5 and it runs 10.10 really well - I use chameleon as the bootloader and i have tried many steps to get 10.11 going but the installer will never go past 'Still waiting for root device.'I am pretty convinced this old motherboard is USB2 based and from my reading it seems this error is likely to be USB related but i cant figure out how to proceed. I am using a USB installer with enoch chameleon to boot this.

I do not use a DSDT and in 10.10 all hardware appears to work pretty natively. Any clues to help me proceed?

post-841024-0-12580100-1444035118_thumb.jpg

When you reach that part, just move your USB flash drive to another port and wait for a few seconds. Try all of them, one should allow you to continue installation. 

I had to go through real "switching marathon" because only two USB ports were working, and I had three devices to work with: USB flash drive, keyboard and mouse. For one part of the post-installation I even used on-screen keyboard... :D 

right ok - so i am now getting a bit lost as the more i read the more it seems that the USB issues are geared towards USB3 in 10.11 however my board only has USB2 ports. I have tried the installer, using 2 different known good sticks, into EVERY port i have during the install and the result is the same 'Still waiting for root device'.

I have tried this with both clover and chameleon installers and the results are the same

Is there anything else i can try to get this going ?

bit of an update - i had a test 10.10 install available on a different disk so i put this disk into the box did an in place upgrade to this to see what would happen. I could make it to the installer AND i could use the USB ports, ie to use the keyboard and mouse.

The installation, well upgrade from 10.10 > 10.11, is currently progressing so i will update with the result. This wont help me directly with my upgrade of my 'real' system but its interesting that if i dont actually use USB to boot i can progress to the installer AND use the USB port.

Has anyone got any idea as to why this might be and what i could do in order to progress with an inplace upgrade or what info i can provide to debug further.

thanks!

Got it installed - it was panicking on es.osx86.driver.Ev0reboot so removed that kext and rebooted and all is well.

BUT now i have an installed system but NO USB again - so i really have to figure out the USB problem as seems that was the source after all and without working USB i have no usable system and every single USB2 port does not work.

Are there any _simple_ fixes for the USB problem as looking at the guide i struggle to understand it a little.

• 1 year later...