Custom Keyboard Mapping ~ VoodooPS2

buttcrap

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I was able to get full working brightness on my HP notebook running Yosemite (full specs should be in the sig)

Now all I need to do is get the brightness keys mapped. This should be the easy part, but I'm having some troubles.

On my notebooks keyboard, the F2 and F3 keys are the brightness down/up.

Following these two guides:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping and

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

I've installed the VoodooPS2 debug kext which shows in Console the key codes for the keys I'm hitting. 

So I've figured out that pressing JUST the FN key, or just the F2 key doesn't show anything at all in Console, but every time I press the FN key and the F2 key at the same time, this is shown

sending key 3c=78 down

sending key 3c=78 up

and for FN + F3

sending key 3d=63 down

sending key 3d=63 up

and doing some research, I see that the ADB code for brightness down is 0x91, and 0x90 for brightness up. These translate to 145 and 144 in decimal, so I tested this out by holding command and then typing 145. Sure enough, my brightness turned down, and command + 144 turned it back up.

This is where I think I go astray; according to the guides, I think this means that the codes that I'll be putting underneath the 'Custom ADB Map' section should be this

<string>3c=91</string>

<string>3d=90</string>

So I go to the release version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext, secondary click > Show package contents, > Contents > Plugins > VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext > secondary click > Show Package Contents, > Contents > Info.plist and edit that file to try and map a single press of my F2 key to what the ADB code for brightness down is (0x91)

However I can't get this to work. The brightness doesn't change, but if I load the debug kext I can still use command+145/144 to adjust my brightness, so I know it's just user error I'm seeing.

is my code wrong? Also; because a single press of the 'F2' or 'F3' key doesn't generate any any PS2 scan codes at all, does that mean that mapping JUST this key(without the FN) key will be impossible? I would like to be able to adjust my brightness without holding down FN like I can on Windows, but I don't see how it will if it doesn't generate it's own scan code under VoodooPS2.

Any help is greatly appreciated my friends.

buttcrap

Hey guys, 

I was able to get full working brightness on my HP notebook running Yosemite (full specs should be in the sig)

Now all I need to do is get the brightness keys mapped. This should be the easy part, but I'm having some troubles.

On my notebooks keyboard, the F2 and F3 keys are the brightness down/up.

Following these two guides:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping and

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

I've installed the VoodooPS2 debug kext which shows in Console the key codes for the keys I'm hitting. 

So I've figured out that pressing JUST the FN key, or just the F2 key doesn't show anything at all in Console, but every time I press the FN key and the F2 key at the same time, this is shown

sending key 3c=78 down

sending key 3c=78 up

and for FN + F3

sending key 3d=63 down

sending key 3d=63 up

and doing some research, I see that the ADB code for brightness down is 0x91, and 0x90 for brightness up. These translate to 145 and 144 in decimal, so I tested this out by holding command and then typing 145. Sure enough, my brightness turned down, and command + 144 turned it back up.

This is where I think I go astray; according to the guides, I think this means that the codes that I'll be putting underneath the 'Custom ADB Map' section should be this

<string>3c=91</string>[/size]

<string>3d=90</string>

So I go to the release version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext, secondary click > Show package contents, > Contents > Plugins > VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext > secondary click > Show Package Contents, > Contents > Info.plist and edit that file to try and map a single press of my F2 key to what the ADB code for brightness down is (0x91)

However I can't get this to work. The brightness doesn't change, but if I load the debug kext I can still use command+145/144 to adjust my brightness, so I know it's just user error I'm seeing.

is my code wrong? Also; because a single press of the 'F2' or 'F3' key doesn't generate any any PS2 scan codes at all, does that mean that mapping JUST this key(without the FN) key will be impossible? I would like to be able to adjust my brightness without holding down FN like I can on Windows, but I don't see how it will if it doesn't generate it's own scan code under VoodooPS2.

Any help is greatly appreciated my friends.

buttcrap

Your brightness keys are handled via ACPI, not PS2. Messing with the Info.plist for PS2->ADB mapping will not help. There are guides for dealing with ACPI brightness keys if you use google/search.