Best flash drive for booting Windows installers?

Braixen

2 posts in this topic

So recently, I was unable to use Rufus to create a bootable USB for Windows 7 or 8. It's a Sandisk Cruzer Edge, if you're wondering. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't boot to the installer. I tried USB 2.0 ports, different boot methods (UEFI & regular MBR boot for BIOS), using Clover to boot the USB, but nothing could get me to the Windows installer. No UEFI option is shown (unless I use Clover, where it just crashes when choosing cdboot and goes back to Clover when using mgrboot) and choosing the BIOS-compatible option tells me to insert a proper boot device. I figured it was the memory stick as it was the only thing I never changed.

I'm just wondering which flash drives do you use for Windows specifically? I'm not really bothered by the speed or cost of it, rather if it's a reliable product and if it functions on a USB 3.0 drive. Probably means I'll need a USB 3.0 flash drive though.

IMHO Flash-drives with 4/8GB size and USB 2.0 is the better choice. I don't have any troubles until now.

And if i want use Windows 8/8.1/10 i just format in GPT mode and copy/paste the .ISO content for Flash-drive.