So what if you accidently downloaded the Software update and you can't boot load into MAC OS X?

BirdofTruth

6 posts in this topic

If you installed an OSX update from Software Update, then you screwed up your installation. Just like you installed a patched version of OSX to run on your PC, you need to install patched OSX updates. Most other software can be safely installed from Software Update, but not system (OS) software.

The only recourse you have is to reinstall.

Which program's update did U apply?

the most recent one from the update window.

guys what if I do the Go back in time feature in Windows, will it make me go back on the whole hardrive?

or is there a feature in Terminal that can refix it? or the Boot record or something!!

guys what if I do the Go back in time feature in Windows, will it make me go back on the whole hardrive? or is there a feature in Terminal that can refix it? or the Boot record or something!!

Unfortunately none of these will take care of it. You *probably* might patch/replace by hand the required files, but that's a lot of work and requires some skills that not too much people have (certainly i don't). In short, the best route is to backup your user folder and start over again.

Yeah there is a way to get it fixed without a re-install. What you need is the following.

1. Correct patched version of the update. I used Jas's and don't forget to put the Postflight script in the Resources Folder. (In windows you can just drag and drop it in) and then burn the cd.

2. Orignal Install CD.

3. A spare CD rom/dvd rom drive <----- needed to copy the installation file into your

OSX install drive. You need the installation CD in one drive and either a flash drive/CD to copy the installation file to the osx hard drive.

If you have all the above you can do the following in "Terminal" on the OSX install cd.

Copy the the installation file

eg. cp -R /Volumes/(Your Disk Drive)/JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg /Volumes/(Volume to your OSX drive)

so mine was

cp -R /Volumes/New/JaS.10.4.8.update.Intel.Only.pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OSX

once that is copied successfully you can install it using the "installer".

GO to the following

cd /Volumes/(Your path to OSX drive)/usr/sbin

eg mine was cd /Volumes/Mac\ OSX/usr/sbin

then type in the following.

./installer -pkg /Volumes/(Your Path to OSX)/JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg -target /Volumes/(Path to your OSX)

Eg.

./installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OSX/JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg -target /Volumes/Mac\ OSX

It will install the package files

**Note** It will not give you the nice installer window, it will be done in Terminal and doesn't really show anything until the end. Just wait until it finishes.

Once it is done then type in reboot to restart the computer. Try that out.

BTW when i fubared my install this is what i did to get it back up and running :)

Also you may get an error at the end of the installation in the terminal something about bless command erroring out on EFIboot or something like that. Don't worry about it just restart and you will be up and running.