Calling all Dell Truemobile 1450agb owners...

JustBrowsing

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just installed a Dell Truemobile 1450abg Mini-PCI card into my Dell 600m. Unfortunately, something that was supposed to be just a 5-minute swap of the card has turned into a couple of hours.

When I downloaded the newest drivers from Support.dell.com, and extract them to C:\Dell\drivers\5xxx and run the program it freezes at 87%.

Then, if I disable the Mini-PCI card from BIOS; I can get the setup installer to work correctly and finish at 100%.

Then, when I turn Mini-PCI back on, Windows XP finds the Truemobile 1450 mini-pci card immediately, I select which device I want, and it copies it to Windows\System32\drivers\ etc. Right when it says, "Click finish to close this dialog" my entire computer locks up. Keyboard, mouse, everything. Completely locked up.

When I select running OSx86 from the Darwin boot manager, it runs and get to the Callisto drivers, for my Mobility Radeon 9000, and CallistoHAL.kext is loaded correctly, and then the start-up of OSx86 locks up.

If this thing isn't working in Windows XP; I might just send it back to the guy I got it from on E-Bay.

Can't believe this dang thing is giving me this trouble; talk about a waste of an afternoon.

1. Who'd you buy it from?

2.) Some computers have BIOS blocks. I don't see why Dell would block anotehr Dell card, but I had a Dell crad not work in my Toshiba laptop, it froze after loading drivers in OSX and XP. They sent another card that had supposedly been flashed differntly and it worked fine.

It is my understanding this card must be DOA, I'm going to have it sent back tomorrow or the next day if possible. I think I'm just going to wipe my partitions on my notebook. Fooling with OSx86 for this long has been a frusterating experience. I might just put OSx86 back on my desktop, and not fool with it anymore on my 600m.

POS Truemobile card.

1. Who'd you buy it from?

2.) Some computers have BIOS blocks. I don't see why Dell would block anotehr Dell card, but I had a Dell crad not work in my Toshiba laptop, it froze after loading drivers in OSX and XP. They sent another card that had supposedly been flashed differntly and it worked fine.

E-Bay Link

that's where I got mine!

email them, they gave me amazing customer service

I e-mailed them last night, got a response this morning. Seems like great customer service; he will either offer a replacement or refund. I just asked for the refund, because I'm not going to mess with OSX on my laptop anymore. Works decent enough, but battery life is cut by an hour, and Windows XP does pretty much everything I really need anyways. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Truemobile 1490 card from this seller as well and it is DOA. What did he do in return? Did he send another wireless card? Did the one he resent, work? I sent him a message this night, I hope he replies...

I really hope he replies...

I ordered a Truemobile 1490 card from this seller as well and it is DOA. What did he do in return? Did he send another wireless card? Did the one he resent, work? I sent him a message this night, I hope he replies...

I really hope he replies...

The cards you're getting aren't DOA, they just have BIOS blocks, meaning that your laptop is not compatible with the BIOS on the card...it's a manufacture specific thing.

Just email them and explain, they'll send out a enw card. Htey didn't even ask for my old one.

I thought it was a little strange. Windows wouldn't even recognize it at all! OS X would read it as an Ethernet Card (en1) but wouldn't read it as an AirPort card... Oh well, time to send him a message...

Good to see people are still talking about this issue. Good to see it's working with their computers and their Hackintosh setups.

I've given up putting OSX on my laptop as I can't get QE and CI ever on my video card. And replacing hardware just isn't worth it to me. I've just decided to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux 6.10 Edgy Eft.

Good luck to all you guys getting it to work.