[Guide] OS X 10.10 Yosemite on SurfacePro2 - Multiboot

liliha

149 posts in this topic

If you are using a USB stick to boot into OSX via clover, putting clover on your internal SSD will be much easier for you. As for repairing permissions, i haven't had any issues with this at all, you should be fine :)

If you repair your drive (I assume you are referring to the windows one?) then this will likely not work with clover installed to your SSD. If this is ever the case, you can simply remove clover and put your Microsoft booltoader back via Windows, I will write up how to do this and add to the guide very soon.

Alternatively, if you have a critical failure of any kind, i believe if you enter into BIOS (hold volume up at boot) and install the secure boot keys + enable secure boot, this will automatically repair your bootloader and fallback to the Microsoft one, and boot straight into Windows (it does not repair it immediately, only after like 5 failed boots or something, been a while since i have needed to use this).

I honestly can't thank u enough,

But can u pl confirm something for me because I honestly had to reinstall Yosemite atleast 5 times in the past 3 days lol

When you goto disk utility, then click on ur OSX partition and click repair permission or repair disk (In OS X) does it repair normally ? And when u restart and re-boot into OSX does it actually boot up?

Ps: I finally bought a wifi dongle but when I try to sign into Apple store I get a error saying "this account couldn't be verified, please contact support!"

Any ideas on how to fix this, so I can try to get my iMessage and facetime working ?

I honestly can't thank u enough,

But can u pl confirm something for me because I honestly had to reinstall Yosemite atleast 5 times in the past 3 days lol

When you goto disk utility, then click on ur OSX partition and click repair permission or repair disk (In OS X) does it repair normally ? And when u restart and re-boot into OSX does it actually boot up?

Ps: I finally bought a wifi dongle but when I try to sign into Apple store I get a error saying "this account couldn't be verified, please contact support!"

Any ideas on how to fix this, so I can try to get my iMessage and facetime working ?

I can't test that for you right now, but ill have a go later. Out of curiosity, why would you need to repair disk / permissions?

For App store access, if you have followed my guide then all you should need to do is remove all network adapters -> restart without wifi dongle plugged in -> add ethernet adapter to network via '+' and after that plug in your dongle and add that as the second device. This is the same method as any previous OSX install on a surface. App store should work after that :)

It is best for any hackintosh, to repair permission after any application install or change in kext

Although i do agree with that statement, I have not personally done any permission repairs in a long time (unless kextdrop is doing this without my knowledge?), even when running Mavericks. If you believe it is in fact breaking your installation, It might be worth skipping it and see if all runs well anyway?

Is anyone, besides me, getting the Spinning Beach Ball consistently throughout the Yosemite post installation?

When I try to open any App or folder, the Surface takes about 25 seconds to complete the task. This makes the experience very lackluster. Is anyone else experiencing such performance?

I followed liliha guide word for word.

Hey, no difference in the install for 4200u or 4300u (dart=0) is already implemented in both as I can tell since I'm 4300u and dart=0 was already incorporated in the the boot argument

To check the version of your processor In Windows just open the properties of "this computer" it will be listed there beside Intel i5 ________

Goodluck

Ok then ;) Thx

Is anyone, besides me, getting the Spinning Beach Ball consistently throughout the Yosemite post installation?

When I try to open any App or folder, the Surface takes about 25 seconds to complete the task. This makes the experience very lackluster. Is anyone else experiencing such performance?

I followed liliha guide word for word.

Hey bud, no I'm getting nothing of that sort of all, Yosemite for me is working flawlessly now:

-wifi (external)

-battery

-brightness (works after sleep )

-iMessage and iCloud (i had to delete my network preference.plst)

-USB 3.0 and memory hard reader

Only problem for me now is Bluetooth, I can't turn it off

You can try: kext utility (free) and run it, it will repair disk permissions

Second: reset your kext cache

3rd:

Try to re-download Yosemite and create a brand new usb (try another 2.0 USB), also delete your Mac partition and recover partition format it AND run chkdsk on your whole SSD, then follow the guide again!

If I think of anything else I'll let u know!

OOO WAIT: how big is your OSX partition ? Minimum recommended is 32gb ? Mine is 80gb

guys,

Any solution to the Bluetooth always being on? I want 2 turn it off to save battery?

also FYI: I have a Power Cover attached to my Surface, and I can confirm it works great on OSX....the machine still drains the Power cover FIRST then the internal battery

btw: what else in this build need fixing? I don't know what else to look into lol

• Like 1

Btw, is it possible to boot from a 8GB MicroSD card?

Yes you can, in Mac OS X goto disk utility format ur card and either reinstall or copy ur "EFI" folder from ur USB

That worked for me, but I dunno why I had a lot of problems where OS X boot sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't

It's better to boot off SSD

Yes you can, in Mac OS X goto disk utility format ur card and either reinstall or copy ur "EFI" folder from ur USB

That worked for me, but I dunno why I had a lot of problems where OS X boot sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't

It's better to boot off SSD

OK then. I'll get my SP2 tomorrow (at least I hope it). I'll try the guide then.

EDIT: Finally 4200U

EDIT 2:Installing it now... ;) ;)

EDIT 3: Finllay! I booted OS X Yosemite from my Surface Pro 2

Thank you so much everyone.

By the way, is it really worth to buy Touch-Base??? I think 100$ is too expensive, but I don't know

• Like 1

I have absolutely no intentions to pay $100 so i can pinch to zoom. The touch screen works as it is for single touch out of the box.

10% of the price of a macbook air for being able to use an extra finger or two?

That's why I asked, cause I think it's not necessary...

That's my error list:

• Wifi not working(got USB Wifi and it is working perfectly)
  • Bluetooth not working
  • Brightness only works after sleep

The battery is working 99%. OS X can't estimate time before charging needed, but it shows always the percentage(well, it does only if I inject Graphics EDID on Clover. If I don't it doesn't work)

By the way, I can only boot verbose, but that's not a problem for me.

That's why I asked, cause I think it's not necessary...

That's my error list:

• Wifi not working(got USB Wifi and it is working perfectly)
  • Bluetooth not working
  • Brightness only works after sleep

The battery is working 99%. OS X can't estimate time before charging needed, but it shows always the percentage(well, it does only if I inject Graphics EDID on Clover. If I don't it doesn't work)

By the way, I can only boot verbose, but that's not a problem for me.

Did you replace the bluetooth ktext in the first post with the newer one on page 3?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302322-guide-os-x-1010-yosemite-on-surfacepro2-multiboot/?p=2082315

Thanks @liliha and the other contributors for the great post. I have successfully turned my surface pro 2 into a touch-screen Macbook. :) It's perfect!

Everything seems to work so well.

Battery Status

Bluetooth (cannot turn off)

Brightness (after sleep)

USB 3.0 and card reader

Touch screen (supporting multi-touch by installing the updd)

FaceTime and iMessages

WIFI (external USB dongle)

It's better than Mavericks installation (thanks @JahStories). I got it up and running, but bluetooth not work.

There are a few issues:

1. Bluetooth seems unstable as the Magic Mouse get disconnected every few minutes. I have to stick to the surface keyboard which works well.

2. The battery indicator switches between normal status (with power percentage) and X (No Battery Available) every few minutes. If I choose "Slightly dim the display when on battery power" in Energy Saver, the screen actually dims when this happens. The power kext may need to be updated.

Nothing critical to be honest.

Thank you again guys. Great work!

Personally I feel OS X is far better than Windows 8.1. I end up removed the other partitions and installed Yosemite only on my Surface Pro2. :D

Thanks @liliha and the other contributors for the great post. I have successfully turned my surface pro 2 into a touch-screen Macbook. :) It's perfect!

Battery Status

Brightness (after sleep)

USB 3.0 and card reader

FaceTime and iMessages

It's better than Mavericks installation (thanks @flirly). I got it up and running, but bluetooth not work.

There are a few issues:

1. Bluetooth seems unstable as the Magic Mouse get disconnected every few minutes. I have to stick to the surface keyboard which works well.

2. The battery indicator switches between normal status (with power percentage) and X (No Battery Available) every few minutes. If I choose "Slightly dim the display when on battery power" in Energy Saver, the screen actually dims when this happens. The power kext may need to be updated.

Personally I feel OS X is far better than Windows 8.1. I end up removed the other partitions and installed Yosemite only on my Surface Pro2. :D

I am using Magic Mouse, and it works fine(I haven't used it for longer than 10 minutes because I'm studying for university, maybe that's why I got no errors)

By the way, what is updd??

(sorry if I don't know many things, I'm new on hackintosh)

Battery Status

Brightness (after sleep)

USB 3.0 and card reader

FaceTime and iMessages

It's better than Mavericks installation (thanks @flirly). I got it up and running, but bluetooth not work.

There are a few issues:

Great!

U, guys are wonderful! Great works done!

I have succeeded the installation of Yosemite to my SP2.

But I couldn't use my touch screen.

So I moved to Mavericks last week, for its perfect multigeusture but I cant use app store, imessage as well. I tried everything, real mac Sn, rom, uuid, not works.

I just wonder how the multigeusture works compare to mavericks.

And would U post how i got the battery, bt, usb3 etc...?? additional info to original post?

Great!

U, guys are wonderful! Great works done!

I have succeeded the installation of Yosemite to my SP2.

But I couldn't use my touch screen.

So I moved to Mavericks last week, for its perfect multigeusture but I cant use app store, imessage as well. I tried everything, real mac Sn, rom, uuid, not works.

I just wonder how the multigeusture works compare to mavericks.

And would U post how i got the battery, bt, usb3 etc...?? additional info to original post?

Hi @joyjang

Please follow the previous posts adding AvastarFwLoader.kext (bt), GenericUSBXHCI.kext (latest version for usb 3.0 support) and ACPIBatteryManager.kext (battery) to your EFI partition (/EFT/CLOVER/kexts folder). They should all work.

Good luck!