[Guide] OS X 10.10 Yosemite on SurfacePro2 - Multiboot

liliha

149 posts in this topic

Lol funny thing, I don't have a Mac, I created the USB of a virtual machine! But did u get iMessage working for u? If u did that is great news...I will also try to figure out things on my end and then follow ur guide, and I'll update u when I do!

Yep, iMessage is working for me. The reason you need a mac is due to the Board Serial Number / Rom. You need to get a valid pair. Apple uses this to activate iMessage.

• Like 1

I'm fighting vs clover, I managed to strip off W8.1 and installed Yose + Ubuntu, but ubuntu grub replaces clover and it always now boot with that one.

Any idea on how to fix? Starting with Clover on usb allow me to choose between ubuntu or osx, but the  one on ssd is not being called and grub directly starts.

I'm fighting vs clover, I managed to strip off W8.1 and installed Yose + Ubuntu, but ubuntu grub replaces clover and it always now boot with that one.

Any idea on how to fix? Starting with Clover on usb allow me to choose between ubuntu or osx, but the  one on ssd is not being called and grub directly starts.

Have you tried creating a bootable Clover on another machine (preferable another Mac/VM) then hold down volume down, boot into clover access ur Mac partition and reinstall clover in the original EFI partion that apparently Ubuntu replaced ?

Guys please help, I went out an bought USB 2.0...the installation started then I got this?!?!

Any progress? Are you using the official installer from the App Store? I'm wondering if you have a corrupt installer.

@oOo

No buddy, I haven't been able to get past this error...I am using the official Yosemite installation file I got off the App Store on my Virtual Machine soo I don't know what could be wrong, the problem is it latterly takes me atleast 40 min to create a New USB everytime because of the really slow Transfer rates between the USB2.0 and the Virtual machine itself

I am going 2 try it one last time on a virtual machine then wait until I can get access to a physical mac!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

@oOo

No buddy, I haven't been able to get past this error...I am using the official Yosemite installation file I got off the App Store on my Virtual Machine soo I don't know what could be wrong, the problem is it latterly takes me atleast 40 min to create a New USB everytime because of the really slow Transfer rates between the USB2.0 and the Virtual machine itself

I am going 2 try it one last time on a virtual machine then wait until I can get access to a physical mac!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The problem lies with the fact you are using a virtual machine to create your USB sadly. My best educated guess on why this happens is probably due to the VM not having a low level access to the USB drive to complete the operation. I believe this originates from the Clover installer? Your only solution is to find a Mac / hackintosh. It's like you need a Mac to make a Mac ;)

If i had to guess, I'd say what you want to do is try to find the efi file ubuntu's GRUB bootloader is fireing and replace this with the CLOVERX64.efi, which should be on the EFI partition somewhere.

The problem lies with the fact you are using a virtual machine to create your USB sadly. My best educated guess on why this happens is probably due to the VM not having a low level access to the USB drive to complete the operation. I believe this originates from the Clover installer? Your only solution is to find a Mac / hackintosh. It's like you need a Mac to make a Mac ;)

If i had to guess, I'd say what you want to do is try to find the efi file ubuntu's GRUB bootloader is fireing and replace this with the CLOVERX64.efi, which should be on the EFI partition somewhere.

This happened to me the first time I tried installing my hackintosh . The issue is a currupted Yosemite.app. If possible use another Apple ID to redownload the Yosemite and recreate the usb installer that worked for me anyway.
Thanks for the link! It helped me understand a bit more about what the clover files and all that stuff were for. Looks like we were half way there when we checked the "Install RC Scripts" + moved the null ethernet driver into the patched folder. Let me know if these instructions work since I'm just doing it from memory....

Fixing iMessage (Assuming you have a working wifi dongle)

1) Open System Preferences > Network. Select the Ethernet on the left side and delete it.

2) Now click on the + sign on the bottom left corner. Select Ethernet as the interface and hit create. You should see an orange dot next to Ethernet and it should say "self-assigned IP".

3) Go on a Mac with a valid iMessage account. Download this software (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/download/278-imessage-debug/) and run it. Save the the text file when it prompts you to save it or not.

4) In the file you are looking for two specific fields ROM + BoardSerialNumber.[/b

My iMessage is working fine now after k struggled almost for a week trying to make it work on chameleon. There is an easy way to make it work only with clover and you need not to use a rom of a real mac just generate one it works perfect. You only need a real Mac serial number only to give to the apple support when you call n give em the customer code that shows up when you try to login iMessage. This worked for me.

@teddybearapple

Can u explain more please about the easier process of getting iMessage to work?

What would I need to do if I can get my hands on a real Mac serial number? I'm using clover...

I found a screen shot of "about this Mac" of my old MacBook pro (that is dead and not working because I fried the GPU) which has the machine serial number,

Do I change just the serial number in clover to match that machine, or do I have to change everying in the SMBIOS to match that machine?

Next when I call apple what do I need to ask for? When I give them the serial number...what are they going to do or provide me with?

Thanks again

@teddybearapple

Can u explain more please about the easier process of getting iMessage to work?

What would I need to do if I can get my hands on a real Mac serial number? I'm using clover...

Yeah sure. Follow this tutorial very carefully if you have any problem pm I will take you through from scratch

Link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?/topic/296702-How-to-fix-the-iMessage-Facetime-customer-code-error

Hey guys,

good news, I was able to final install Yosemite on Surface pro 2 (gen2) everything seem to be working fine except the above already stated issue...I still haven't bought a wifi dongle so I will try to do that this week, and I will attempt to activate my iMessage & Facetime...

One thing thou, without having anything Internet connected in anyway, when I goto system preference and goto network and press the "+" I get a error, is that normal until I attatch a wifi dongle?

Ps: I am using my surface pro 2 docking station to read my USB 3.0 device off the USB 2.0 ports!

Hey guys,

good news, I was able to final install Yosemite on Surface pro 2 (gen2) everything seem to be working fine except the above already stated issue...I still haven't bought a wifi dongle so I will try to do that this week, and I will attempt to activate my iMessage & Facetime...

One thing thou, without having anything Internet connected in anyway, when I goto system preference and goto network and press the "+" I get a error, is that normal until I attatch a wifi dongle?

Ps: I am using my surface pro 2 docking station to read my USB 3.0 device off the USB 2.0 ports!

I don't get any errors when I hit the + sign without a dongle plugged in. What are the errors you are seeing?

Yep, it looks like I can read USB 3.0 devices if I plug it through a USB 2.0 hub first. However, installing yosemite still requires a USB 2.0 flash drive.

I don't get any errors when I hit the + sign without a dongle plugged in. What are the errors you are seeing?

Yep, it looks like I can read USB 3.0 devices if I plug it through a USB 2.0 hub first. However, installing yosemite still requires a USB 2.0 flash drive.

My bad I just need to chose a location at the top (for the error in network)

Yesomite installation needs a USB 2.0, u are correct

The difference this time was at first I was using my Yosemite VM to create the USB...which gave me that error "mediafiles.pkg" by the end of the install, I corrected this creating a new MAVERICKS VM, and proceed and everything work flawlessly with the install, only issue I had was when I selected the new Mac partion from the clover boot screen, it would show the apple logo for 4seconds then reboot into Windows 8.1...I honestly gave up, let the machine cool a bit and then tried again and it worked perfectly!

Thank you everyone for your support, I will pick up a dongle soon and confirm the iMessage fix, then help solve the USB 3.0 problem and hopefully anything or everything else that comes up!

My bad I just need to chose a location at the top (for the error in network)

Yesomite installation needs a USB 2.0, u are correct

The difference this time was at first I was using my Yosemite VM to create the USB...which gave me that error "mediafiles.pkg" by the end of the install, I corrected this creating a new MAVERICKS VM, and proceed and everything work flawlessly with the install, only issue I had was when I selected the new Mac partion from the clover boot screen, it would show the apple logo for 4seconds then reboot into Windows 8.1...I honestly gave up, let the machine cool a bit and then tried again and it worked perfectly!

Thank you everyone for your support, I will pick up a dongle soon and confirm the iMessage fix, then help solve the USB 3.0 problem and hopefully anything or everything else that comes up!

• Like 1

Glad it's working. 

I think the two pressing things for me are bluetooth and adjusting the brightness. I'm going to see if I can use a wired mac keyboard to adjust the brightness tomorrow and remap that functionality to something else.

I got rid of the uEFI problem with linux, you have to force change the boot order via linux terminal using efibootmgr command, reordering the list putting UEFI on top and then ubuntu as fallback with something like

sudo efibootmgr -o 0002,0001,0000
  • Like 1

You need a patched DSTD and the ACPIBattery.kext to enable the battery. I'm not really good in patching so I sent my DSTD to another forum and Arthur patched it nicely for me. That worked for me with no issues

Hmm, isn't the DSTD file the same for everyone on the same hardware? If that's the case wouldn't yours be compatible with ours assuming it's the same surface pro? 

Armed with this knowledge, I might have some time over the weekend to look into DSTD patching if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

You need a patched DSTD and the ACPIBattery.kext to enable the battery. I'm not really good in patching so I sent my DSTD to another forum and Arthur patched it nicely for me. That worked for me with no issues

Can u link me to the other forum and PM a copy of urs maybe I can figure something out? That's if u don't mind ofcourse, and what info did he require to properly patch the two files?

Teddy, what type of surface pro are you running anyways?

@oOo

Okay soo I found this GUIDE by RehabMan, and a DSDT patch he created for the Surface Pro v1 (maybe u can change this or something to work of SP2)

I dunno if it will help u at all, cause im an idiot when it comes to coding & patching :S

Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/116102-guide-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

DSDT Database (Surface pro v1 found near bottom) 

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/tree/master/battery

ALSO

there is the DSDT for the surface pro 2 created by MikeSpike/Pokey in the first Guide Found in "SP2 0.4 (Re-Pack)" but his guide only goes up to Mavericks 10.9.4 but Pokey___ also used a DSDT package in his guide but i cant find it (u will know what i mean when u read his guide)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292645-guide-surfacepro-1-2-osx-android-windows-multiboot/

(just go down the to SP2 guide)

sry just trying to put everything in one place for u that i find along the way that may help...

btw: there was a fix for the bluetooth in SP1 under Mikespike guide (i dunno if u saw that)

Goodluck bud, and thanks for your support

• Like 1

@oOo

Okay soo I found this GUIDE by RehabMan, and a DSDT patch he created for the Surface Pro v1 (maybe u can change this or something to work of SP2)

I dunno if it will help u at all, cause im an idiot when it comes to coding & patching :S

Guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/116102-guide-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

DSDT Database (Surface pro v1 found near bottom)

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/tree/master/battery

PM me your DSTD I will get it patched for you I'm not using surface pro u can use chameleon wizard to extract your DSTD if only u don't even have one at all. Then it will be patched nicely for you. And yeah download the latest ACPibatery.kext from the link the guy sent by RehabMan that alone will show the battery and the patched DSTD will make it function 100%