smcFanControl

niteice

3 posts in this topic

smcFanControl 1.1 is a simple GUI that lets you control how fast each fan spins on your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or Mac Mini. User reports (see Slashdot) say that there's a noticable improvement: "The temperature of my MBP when idle averaged around 63 degrees celsius. After running smcFanControl 1.1, my temperature dropped to 43 celsius within 10 minutes of use. This now allows me to sit my MBP on my lap, something I was unable to do previously since the machine got so hot. I have my fans set to spin at a minimum of 3000 RPM and I still don't hear the fans spinning. Apple by default has them set to 1000 RPM."

Not that my MBP was getting that hot (refurb completely overhauled, stayed at 40-43 surfing, 39 idle) but dam this roxx!! I got her down to 26 celcius at full blast (6000rpm's). Thats wicked. The only time I've ever felt i might need this is when running Parallels, when she does seem to get up in the high 50 to low 70's celcius. I could care less about the noise. This just made my day!!! Thanks guys.