Updated Firmware...how to go back?

Mondoslug

11 posts in this topic

Hi, excuse my ignorance. I just got a Mac Pro & immediately upgraded the firmware just because and then installed Boot Camp. Is there a way to go back to the previous firmware if I choose? Been years since I owned a Mac. Does it involve a clean install or something & will I need to re-partition & install XP again since the Mac Drivers disc was created after the updated firmware tweak?

TIA!

Hi, thanks. I don't know that I need to. I found a thread on a Digital Audio forum and was just curious. It's specific an audio app Pro Tools which can be finnicky at times. This is the post below. Not necessarily the gospel but I was just wondering how you do it anyway. Thanks for the rply

>>>DON'T update the firmware if you're not updating to OS 10.4.8!!

10.4.7 runs waaaay slow with the new firmware. PT will run, allright (it runs pretty much on the card, right?), but every little drop-down menu is a drag...

Repeat do NOT install new firmware on your intel-based mac if you're not updating the OS.

Btw. PT HD is 'not tested' with OS 10.4.8, but maybe somebody tried it?<<<

Here's one reason not to do the firmware upgrade:

(I've attached a screen shot--hopefully it worked.)

post-29109-1161055317_thumb.png

Bummer.

And that restoration CD--no dice. Works only if you didn't "successfully" run the upgrade.

I was kinda hoping you guys would know of a way to downgrade, but from what I've read, it looks like I'm outta luck. Guess I'll be shipping it back to Apple to let them fix for me.

Sigh... what a sad first post for me. :-(

Right... exactly what I said above.

I don't see anything wrong with the screenshot, leading me to think you have a non-firmware hardware issue. Such issues can manifest due to the process of a firmware update, but have nothing to do with the firmware code itself.

Regardless, there is no reason to downgrade firmware. Apple only makes changes that need to be changed. If there ever is a "firmware bug"... Apple will quickly issue an updated firmware to patch it.

Hmm. Wow--you're right. I just checked the posted screenshot on my PC, and everything looks fine.

Well, suffice to know that on my MacBook the colors, hues, and contrasts are so out of sync that it is nearly impossible to use the computer.

firmware restoration CD won't let you restore firmware to original factory state. maybe we will have to wait for next firmware update, deliberately corrupt the firmware in the process of upgrading and then use the firmware restoration cd to downgrade to original firmware.

i liked the original firmware best as my macbook was super silent for the most part and not too hot to use it in my lap.