Can't install, please help!

squimmy

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to install mac os x86, and am using the Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack release thing.

I've burnt the image onto an DVD+RW, is burning it onto a RW okay?

Anyway, i've partitioned my drive, installed acronis OS selector and am at the stage where I boot from the DVD. I do this and it gets to the screen where it has the apple logo and spinning wheel below. It gets stuck there, the wheel keeps on spinning and no matter how long I leave it, it just keeps on spinning.

My specs are as follows:

amd 64 3200+ venice

sapphire x800 gto2

1 gb ram

ULTRA-ATA hard drive

According to everest home edition, my motherboard is:MSI RS482M2

Again, according to everest, my dvd drive is:HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

First off, when the dvd boots, press f8 to get an option screen. type -v to boot in verbose mode - you'll then be able to report back here where it is sticking. If you try a couple of times and it stops indifferent places, burn anothrr dvd atthe lowest speed and try again,

good luck,

Andy

Okay, I've done the -v thing and the last 4 lines are:

Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" has no kernel dependency.

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC10@0/AppleACPIPCI/IDE@14,1/AppleOnboard/PCATARoot/SECD@1/AppleATIIXPATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATAPIProtocolTransport/IOSCSIPeripheralDeviceNub/IOSCSPeriphalDeviceType05/IODVDServices/IODVDBlock

BSD root: disk1s3,major 14, minor 6

Wow, I copied all of that out by hand. Painful.

Anyway, any Ideas anyone? Should I burn it again at the slowest speed?

Thanks for replying!

I've done a bit of researching, and it looks as though it just isn't compatible. I have pretty much the exact same comp as radioactivity, another user on this forum. And if you look here (bottom post) you can see he is having the exact same issue as me.

It's something to do with the ati motherboard, and it appears theres no fix. In other words, i'm pretty much screwed.

So unless someone can come up with some super idea, I don't think I'll be able to get it to work.

I'm still gonna keep on trying though. I'm gonna try a few more iso's.

EDIT:: After a bit more researching, i've found this which seems to solve my problem. The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea how I can apply the patch.

After a bit more researching, i've found this which seems to solve my problem. The only problem is that I have absolutely no idea how I can apply the patch.

I believe that patch is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=61546

In the first sentence of the posting he tells you what device/vendor id is in the kext. If yours is different, you might want to change it.

first install through vmware(use daemon tools to mount the iso)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

then install macdrive(must uninstall daemon tools or disc mounting software before installation)

replace the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ with the one from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=9847

and hope for the best...

keep in mind the driver is made for device id 0x43761002 which you can check in your windows device manager to make sure yours is the same...

Okay, I did the vmware thing and managed to get it to install. I'm using Acronis OS selector here and when I now click on the "Unknown operating system" it doesn't load. Instead it gives me an error message about some file not found. I think it is error 14 or 15.

How can I boot the partition?

Agh!Agh!Agh!Agh!Agh!

I can't get it to work! I'm not even sure if osx is installed correctly. I followed through completely with the install on vmware and shut the vm machine down when it went to reboot.

In acronis OS selector I keep getting the same error message, which appears to have something to do with windows! I think it's booting the backup partition which came with the computer.

I also can't boot the vm ware image.

Is there any way to confirm the install went correctly? The boot dvd doesn't show the OS present, but I definately installed it! AGH!

Is there any way to confirm the install went correctly? The boot dvd doesn't show the OS present, but I definately installed it!
Is there anything other than OS selector I can use? I'm having major troubles with it, as it won't boot the goddamn correct partition!

Using the boot DVD IS an alternate bootloader. And it doesn't see anything.

It is quite possible you installed via VMWare to a virtual disk file but placed the file on the partition intended for OSX. That explains why VMWare can boot it, but no other bootloader can boot it natively, because it isn't on the partiition - it is in a file on the partition.

VMWare can't boot it. I've followed those instructions carefully. Twice. Neither time has worked. And I'm still convinced OS selector isn't booting the right partitions, because the error message I'm getting is a windows style error message!

I followed the VMWare instructions perfectly!

Halle-bloody-lujah!!!!

Managed to get Acronis OS Selector to boot the right partition by going to Tools and then clicking on os wizard or something. After that I clicked on the partition I wanted to boot, hit bootable and pressed okay. And presto, an icon that would boot that partition!

Unfortunately that wasn't the end, instead of booting os x I kept on getting HFS+ partition error. I managed to fix that by going into acronis disk director, right clicking on the partition which os x was on, going to advanced and then change type. I then selected ShagOS swap hit okay and then commit.

Then I went back into os selector and booted os x and it still didn't work. I now have to unplug my mouse when it boots, to stop it crashing. Or I can change legacy USB support to false in my BIOS, but that seems to have other consequences.

My problem now is that internet doesn't work inside OS X. I have a DG834G Netgear router which is connected to my computer via a ethernet and OS X seemingly doesn't recognise the connection.

So does anyone know how I can get the internet to work?

Thanks.

{censored}. I followed instructions to get my display up to 1280x1024 by editing some file and now the display won't start. Instead of the display it just stays at the console-like screen. The last line is:

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow : Login Window Application Started

Of course it hasn't started and I'm still staring at the ugly text. There is no way I'm reinstalling this. (for what must be the 6th time or something)

How can I now get my bloody display to work!?