Quick And Stupid Question

Newgy

10 posts in this topic

Alright. So I've had my OSX86 for about a week and a half now. I'm still learning how to work with it and stuff (besides the normal usage for work and such).

I'm still stuck though on a 1024 x 768 pixel screen. On top of that, I have no ability to make the screen size any bigger (position and resizing).

I know that I have to install Castillo and AGPart. But I am not literate enough seeing as I haven't had all that much experience with this thing.

Could someone link me to an excellent guide to install either one. I tried using the one that is supplied with Castillo, but I get lost once I am in Terminal. I don't know the codes to select where the file is located, even when I do put it on the desktop like it says to.

I love my mac. It is just really pisses me off what I have to get done for it to be better.

Oh. And btw. I have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128 mb AGP x8.

I love my mac. It is just really pisses me off what I have to get done for it to be better.

Then go buy a real mac. Seriously, if tinkering 'pisses you off' then osx86 is not for you. Its a world of tinkering to get anything working. Some people get satisfaction from that, but if you're looking for something that 'just works' go buy a real mac.

I would have to agree with Munky here. If you are not into tinkering, then using a hacked OS is not for you, in my opinion. The point of this project, besides the obvious, run OSX86 on our PCs, is to have enjoyment out of having OSX on our PCs in the first place, and the enjoyment of tinkering to see what works and what doesn't on this fine OS. If you want everything to work 100%, either search our forums for hardware that has been 100% compatible so far, or perhaps get the real thing, so you don't have to worry about installing new [system ]updates, security fixes, etc.

However, on the flipside, if you enjoy tinkering, and are willing to spend time learning the OS and its various terminal commands, then by all means give it a shot. You shouldn't get pissed off over something so simple as a text command. *Gets down off soapbox.* Sorry for the long winded post.

Alright. So I've had my OSX86 for about a week and a half now. I'm still learning how to work with it and stuff (besides the normal usage for work and such).

I'm still stuck though on a 1024 x 768 pixel screen. On top of that, I have no ability to make the screen size any bigger (position and resizing).

I know that I have to install Castillo and AGPart. But I am not literate enough seeing as I haven't had all that much experience with this thing.

Could someone link me to an excellent guide to install either one. I tried using the one that is supplied with Castillo, but I get lost once I am in Terminal. I don't know the codes to select where the file is located, even when I do put it on the desktop like it says to.

Oh. And btw. I have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256 mb AGP x8.

How to install Callisto is easy,there is a readme in the download.

as for agpgart thats also easy because it matches to the agp bus or something similar so you dont have to edit it at all,so that shuld be a mater of dropping it i nand repairing permissions.

If you need help you can find me on Irc at irc.macspeak.net #osx86 or irc.r-type.ca #Hackintosh

When all else fails for you I can build you a installer package to run that should get it working for you.

Good luck and keep your head up!

JaS

Heh, this post seems to have attracted a lot of staff attention...

You have two options. You can follow Munky's advice and buy something that doesn't need any messing (but that's not a perfect solution, I have a real Mac and I know that it can {censored} me off too from time to time), or ...

:) You can enjoy the learning curve of getting everything working as you want. If you're anything like the majority of us here, you'll actually get a huge buzz out of solving problems and seeing the results of your efforts. And as JaS has so generously shown, plenty of folks here are keen to help you along the way. My recommendation is to try, enjoy, and not get pissed off too much. It's a rewarding journey and we're here to guide you.

Good luck,

-s-

I love tinkering. I just don't find myself very good at tinkering something when I don't understand how the system works or how the filetypes and such works. Its just something that I have to get used to. I'll just keep trying. (I'm getting a Mac Book Pro in a couple of months, this is kind of my test -trial)

There was a time where patching of the kernel, rosetta and similar system files would have to be done manually by a brave "osx86er" to get... only the installer running. In PearPC.

You now pop in a dvd and voila. Ungrateful {censored}.

OSx86 is pretty much like Linux, you'd have a terrible time getting things to work properly and when they finally do, they sometimes just break for no reason at all. The end-user experience is horrible, although recent efforts have VASTLY improved that (with the introduction of installer dvds, pkgs to install drivers, etc.)

It really pisses me off when you say this.

"It is just really pisses me off what I have to get done for it to be better."

You shouldn't even be able to run OSX in the first place, so be grateful it even boots at all.

You're right. I wasn't thinking when I got ticked off. I was just pissed off at the fact that I couldn't figure it out. But that is supposed to be part of the process of messing around with it. You're right, none of us should be able to get this thing to work because of how OS X is created to run on their own products.

I will just keep myself tinkering with this. Thanks to all of you who are putting so much effort to keep this thing running, and even especially towards those that got it started.

You now pop in a dvd and voila. Ungrateful {censored}.

I'm kind of confused when youmentioned the thing about popping in the dvd. I thought the whole thing was that you had to patch the system files manually?

I don't understand what you mean by "other people do it for us now."

I'm working on getting a MacBook pro. I have a family member that works for Intel, and they get AppleEmployee Discount + 30% off all purchases. I kind of am just curious on what I can get working on my PC. Though I am stupid and can't get these files patched.