G5 Mod, is it worth it?

RazerXXX

6 posts in this topic

I'm considering doing a G5 mod and need to decide fi i want to go on

I've found a broken G5 with mint case for 90€ (shipping included), but the front panel is 50€ and other 80€ for the blackplate (which i may be able to do myself, but still)

This would cost something around 160-180€, when most good PC cases are around around 100€

So i'm asking you, modders, what's your opinion? Is the G5 case worth it or is it something you regret a few months after doing it?

Best regards :)

• 1 month later...

unused G5 with mint case for 50 Euros:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-PowerMac-G5-2xDualCore-2-5-GHz-Originalzubehor-fur-Sammler-oder-Bastler-/141378962640?pt=DE_Computing_Apple_Desktops_All_In_Ones&hash=item20ead7c4d0

(I'm not the seller - just found it on eBay..)

There are even cheaper (broken) G5s on eBay currently - thinking about modding myself hehe

Modding a G5 is definitely going to cost more than a regular PC case. Once you account for getting the case, the backplate, the front panel and various other bits and pieces, we're looking right around the figure you mentioned.

I think the value though, of bringing this work of art back to life with new parts merits the extra cost. It's a fun project, challenging but very rewarding. If you want plug and play, a regular PC case is the way to go, If you want a case with the mac aesthetic, there are aluminum cases out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Since finishing my G5, it looks perfectly normal and unassuming, and ironing out the "issues" with some crazy memory, it has sat beside my entertainment center through multiple moves, and it gets nothing but compliments. I also get the pride in knowing that I took a broken, gutted, and "rotting" case and made it useful once again. These cases are beauties. If you have have the time, energy, and funds to sink into it, and you take your time and learn from some of the awesome people who have gone before, then you'll end up with something you can be proud of, and not just another PC case.