Checking Compatibility for a My Build

12 posts in this topic

I've trawled over the various compatibility lists and think I've verified everything, but I'd just like to post my list for confirmation, any help is appreciated!

Here's my planned build:

Other components are 8gb RAM (2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance) and an Akasa Euler case (passively cools up to 35W TDP, comes with 120W DC power adapter), which I don't think should have any compatibility issues?

*The motherboard is the main question mark as I didn't see it specifically noted anywhere. I couldn't find any suitable Gigabyte boards, and I remember reading once that they're preferred for OS X support, should this Asus one be okay? There's also a more expensive Q87T board I could get, also from Asus, if that's any better?

Anyway, I'm hoping all this should be compatible either out of the box or with minimal effort, but I'd appreciate knowing if any of these will cause trouble (and if there are preferred alternatives).

This is the AMD development forum! This topic shouldn't be here. I'll delete it as soon as I notify the TS by PM.

I have no idea how the topic ended up in here; I was looking at some of the AMD APU compatibility threads earlier, but I'm sure I was Hardware Components and Drivers when I posted this thread (as I saw a bunch of other threads with similar compatibility queries so it seemed like the right place). I'm very sorry about this, is it possible to move the thread rather than delete it?

This hardware is very good.

Read here for more options, and choices: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2019429

Thanks for the response! Do you think any of these items will require much in the way of extra setup? I'm hoping to reduce the build to something that should work almost out of the box (i.e - basic installation with as little kext patching as possible). It looks like no WiFi + Bluetooth cards are supported natively, so tweaking will presumably be needed for that, but otherwise will it all just work? I may not even bother with the wireless module, as I have a wired network anyway, and all my other peripherals are USB (including a USB sound card) so I'm hoping that may avoid some headaches with built-in sound etc. since I shouldn't need it.

• Like 1

I have no idea how the topic ended up in here; I was looking at some of the AMD APU compatibility threads earlier, but I'm sure I was Hardware Components and Drivers when I posted this thread (as I saw a bunch of other threads with similar compatibility queries so it seemed like the right place). I'm very sorry about this, is it possible to move the thread rather than delete it?

Done.

Done.

Thanks!

Okay, so I think things are looking pretty good; my only consideration now is the audio, the motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC887-VD for sound but only two mini-jack ports. However, it supports "Front Panel Jack-retasking", which I assume means if I connect extra ports to the front panel audio header then I can use one of those to give me a total of three? I actually have a spare set of front panel audio connectors (two mini-jacks, one pink, one green) that I removed from another case, so I could probably find somewhere to put them. Anyway, I'm wondering whether this will allow me to get access to 5.1 surround sound (using three mini-jacks), and if so, how well supported will this be within OS X, will I have full control over individual channel volume in Audio MIDI assistant?

I was originally planning to just get an external USB sound card, but the main option seems to be a Creative Soundblaster Omni Surround 5.1; while I'm sure it's good, it's also an extra £60 onto the price of my build, so I'm wondering how easily/successfully I can cut that expense by using what the motherboard gives me, anyone know?

Also, in terms of installation; I'm planning to install both Windows 7 and OS X, is there a preferred order for doing this? i.e - is it easier to install Windows first or OS X? I assume I will want to be using a GUID partition scheme for splitting the drive between the two?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't use Creative hardware if I were you, except if it has OSX certified compatibility. Otherwise you'd have to resort to KX drivers, which work but are incomplete, old and not having undergoing development anymore. Buy a USB interface that satisfy your needs, or a motherboard that support surround audio onboard without hacks.

I wouldn't use Creative hardware if I were you, except if it has OSX certified compatibility.

The Omni Surround is Mac compatible, I've been thinking of getting one for a while as I'm currently using a Griffin Firewave which is Firewire 400; although it still works and might be fine with an adapter, it's also not amazing as it gives no control over individual speaker volume except via a no-longer maintained tool that doesn't save its settings between restarts (and never did) :)

I've been looking at making use of the onboard sound for the motherboard, but I'm not completely sure how well it will work. The motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC887 but only two audio ports (one line in and one line out), however there is a header for front panel audio, and I have some spare ports from another case that ought to work (another two). The Realtek ALC887 claims to have support for "jack retasking" which I believe means I should be able to re-purpose front panel audio as additional speaker outputs, giving me three in total for 5.1 surround. But I'm really not clear on how well supported this will be under OS X; presumably I can just use the regular drivers for Windows, but it sounds like it's actually a software feature so won't work on OS X unless I provide appropriate settings for the driver there too.

It means the Omni Surround will probably be the easiest option since it should just be plug and play with regular software installation, but it would seem a waste not to try the Realtek codec first. I suppose I can always hook up my speakers as regular stereo while I tinker with it, and if it seems hopeless then I can get the Omni Surround later.

Since posting this thread I've also found another motherboard option, the Gigabyte GA-Q87TN; is this likely to be more compatible than the Asus I originally posted? I've seen posts before saying that Gigabyte motherboards work better with OS X, is that still the case?