Yosemite DP1 VM and VMsvga2

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Previously I have a VM (on VMware Workstation 10) which runs OSX 10.8 (host is Windows 8), I've installed VMsvga2 on it and it has improved the graphics performance by quite a bit.

Today I made a new VM for OSX 10.10 DP1 - it installed fine but VMsvga2 doesn't work properly on it - the desktop wallpaper will just keep flashing on and off (looks like the desktop is constantly crashing and restarting itself), Finder and other apps will just crash as well. So without VMsvga2 the performance is just terrible.

Anyone know how to get VMsvga2 to work properly on DP1? Or is there another solution to improving the performance? Thanks.

it seems to me that this yosemite dp1 is particularly heavy on gfx usage with older gfx or non i processors, and the Virtual Machines are not indicated in this particular beta, but i can be wrong that's just my opinion...

Someone has recently done it. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298415-is-it-possible-to-install-yosemite-dp-in-vm/

Yes, without taking any special steps, it is possible. However, performance is terrible and no QE/CI (as is always the case with visualised OSX). It's good for a first look, but much better to do a real install...

osx vm are always osx vm,

no qe.ci is really the worst unsupported thing, most apps would not work at all and animations will be super slow and full of glitches,

it's useful just to create an installation pen if you don't have access to real mac or hack.

:2cents:

but it's always fun to install and test  :star_smile: