USB 3.0 Not working correctly with 10.9 and GA-B75M-D3H

spang1974

1 post in this topic

My USB 3.0 was working properly (since I first built it) with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (without GenericUSBXHCI) and was reading and writing at speeds greater than I got with USB 2.0, it was not an issue to backup 300-400GB to my external USB 3.0 drive. Unfortunately once I updated to Mavericks 10.9.0 the write speeds dropped to under 20Mb/s. I ended up not noticing this until I updated to 10.9.2 and decided to do a clean complete backup with Time Machine. The drive is still recognised as USB3.0 and says it's capable of "Up to 5 Gb/sec"  instead of the  "Up to 480 Mb/sec" , I realise speeds are never this high. The USB 3.0 drive actually gets better speeds from my USB2.0 ports, yet still not as high as they were with Mountain Lion. I have tried using the different versions of GenericUSBXHCI.kext and without it. I soon as I had a chance I reinstalled 10.8.2 on a test system, and the drive immediately started writing at speeds greater than 80Mb/s. I then upgraded to 10.9.0 on my test system and the drive went back to writing at under 20Mb/s. 

So anybody have any advice?

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed if their USB 3.0 was actually working properly?

Is it just this motherboard?

Am I using the wrong kext?

Did I need to change any bios settings once I updated to 10.9?

Spang1974