A few post-install questions

TheDirTchamber

38 posts in this topic

UEFI is not a requirement for using Clover.

This HP 530 is good, but graphic card (GMA 950) isn't supported...

Not in Mavericks, but 32-bit Snow Leopard should work great:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

Apparently the GMA950 in the HP 530 needs special treatment, this little hack is required to get the drivers to load:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/85480-intel-gma950-with-device-id-0x27ae-found-on-hp-530-0x2a12-and-others/

Mavericks is 100% 64-bit and there are no 64-bit drivers for GMA 950 graphics, so don't waste your time. Snow Leopard can run in 32-bit kernel and drivers mode. Note that OS X is not like Windows - you'll still be able to run 64-bit apps and use up to 32GB RAM.

I'm not familiar with Snow Leopard distros so all I can recommend is a retail install using a suitable boot CD or homemade USB installer.

There's a guide on how to build a USB installer on Windows in the Genius Bar.

Thank you! I'm on my way to building a SL USB stick and I'll see if I have more luck with this on the notebook.

On a side note, I really want to thank all of you who tried to help me, I tried to get some support on other forums, even on the Niresh forum, and all I got was 0 replies. I guess it's hard for some people to hit a reply button and type a few words to help someone who's not such an experienced person as they are. You guys are amazing, thank you again! :)

Bad news, I'm afraid... 

1. The laptop hates OSX, no SL boots on this one, not the retail image and not any other distro that I tried. There's a blinking cursor that blinks for ever (also the led on the USB stick blinks continuously) and that's it, no matter what I change in the BIOS.

2. I couldn't get to the setup with the retail image of Mavericks on my desktop. With Niresh, I was ablet to "fix" it with "USBBusFix=Yes", but it seems it doesn't work with retail. I tried various flags, with no luck...