How to Fix Audio Pop/Popping

Hackmodford

20 posts in this topic

I finally got sick and tired of the popping noise that is caused by waking up the audio card after inactivity.

I am aware of the antipop program but for some reason it did not work for me. Credit for this idea goes to Robert Tomsick http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

So I decided to write my own version that works with 10.9

The concept is exactly the same as the antipop program but it actually works (at least for me).

Here it is AntiPop.zip

All you have to do is set this application as a login item and you will no longer have the popping issue.

Limitations:

1. Can not fix initial pop from booting computer.
  2. Can not fix pop for waking from sleep.
  3. After switching audio sources there may be a pop.

First I created this applescript.

repeat
say " "
log "delaying audio sleep"
delay 25
end repeat

This essentially tells the computer to speak every 25 seconds. However there is nothing to say so it won't bother you, but it will keep the audio from being deactivated.

I then saved this script as an application.

To remove the icon from the dock I right clicked the application I created and chose "show package contents"

post-1106388-0-22664000-1391740400_thumb.png

Then I opened the contents folder and found it's info.plist. I then added this line to the plist.

post-1106388-0-34270400-1391740431_thumb.png

Bam!  B)  Dock icon gone ;)

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please let me know :)

• Like 2

That's a good idea. Can't suggest anything other than try messing around with automator and see if you can set it to run at startup.

Also, what system definitions are you using? No idea about sound cards, but with on-board audio, from my experience the popping issue can be solved by using a Mac Pro system definition.

I'm using the iMac smbios because I have an Ivy Bridge processor and an external graphics card. Clover defaulted me to what I would have chosen also.

I've been running for an hour with delay set to 25 with no problems :)

Update: Confirmed that after sleeping there is 1 initial pop, but as soon as the script kicks in again no more problems. I assume it would do the same thing at boot. A reasonable compromise IMHO

not sure, but this can work too, a AppleScript and save as app, then put in your Application folder, then add in PreferencesSystem/Accounts/StartApplications,

note in the script put your passw first then compile/save as/app

property userpassword : "your passw here"

do shell script "open -a Terminal;sudo kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleHDA;sudo kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController;sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily;Killall Terminal" password "your passw here" with administrator privileges

OK, new strategy.

I downloaded this program. http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/

Step 1: Create the antipop shell script

say " "

Save this file to /Library/antipop.sh

Use terminal to make this file executable

chmod +x /Library/antipop.sh

Step 2:

Create a launchctl job using Launch Control like this.

post-1106388-0-53985400-1392505282_thumb.png

I will report my findings. Feel free to try for yourself.

Where did you get the installer? What is the difference?

I dont remember  where I get ?   on goggle   :P   but is working verry good on my Z87  config  see my specs 

no poping sond with this Installer, and is very simple, I have made another .pkg version  :)

Comparing my implementation to his there are these differences.

Tomsick's version waits 10 seconds while mine waits 25

Tomsick's version you can specify what to do if you are on AC power. I did not do that.

Tomsick's version seems to run all the time with an infinite loop while mine using launchctl to run the command every 25 seconds.

I have a desktop machine that I built myself, so I don't need to worry about AC power management.

I made my own implementation of antipop so I know how it works inside and out.

Therefore my solution is the one I'm sticking with.

I went down this road because the installer from tomsick's site didn't work for me. I haven't tried yours but since I did it myself I have no need to try it.

Also I decided to post this as a guide in the tutorial section. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/296125-diy-antipop/?do=findComment&comment=1994768

I dont have  this  with the Installer 

1. Can not fix initial pop from booting computer
  2. Can not fix pop for waking from sleep.
  3. After switching audio sources there may be a pop

• 3 weeks later...