Mac App Store access with NullEthernet.kext

RehabMan

136 posts in this topic

No need to install a replacement IONetworkingFamily.kext to install support for a network driver. You can fix it by restoring to vanilla (you made a backup, right?).

Go Hawks!

I saved the Vanilla IONetworking family kext and has since re-installed (replacing the modified IONetworkingFamily kext.). I  have no Marvell Yukon Lan kext No Ethernet. That is why I cannot sign into App Store. Any suggestion how to fix it. Mavericks read the Airport Card correctly and registered en0 but I cannot sign into APp Store. 

I saved the Vanilla IONetworking family kext and has since re-installed (replacing the modified IONetworkingFamily kext.). I  have no Marvell Yukon Lan kext No Ethernet. That is why I cannot sign into App Store. Any suggestion how to fix it. Mavericks read the Airport Card correctly and registered en0 but I cannot sign into APp Store.

One way would be install a kext for your Marvel Yukon, so you have working Ethernet and access to the Mac App Store. When you install the kext, make sure you do not install the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext, just install the single PlugIn that is likely patched (just guessing this is a patched kext situation). Take a look at the structure of IONetworkingFamily.kext (eg. Contents/PlugIns). What you don't want to do is install some random version of IONetworkingFamily.kext as doing so will likely break your WiFi.

The other way, would be to use NullEthernet. You could use the injector method of installation (to have it attach to your actual Ethernet PCI device), as described in the readme: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

One way would be install a kext for your Marvel Yukon, so you have working Ethernet and access to the Mac App Store. When you install the kext, make sure you do not install the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext, just install the single PlugIn that is likely patched (just guessing this is a patched kext situation). Take a look at the structure of IONetworkingFamily.kext (eg. Contents/PlugIns). What you don't want to do is install some random version of IONetworkingFamily.kext as doing so will likely break your WiFi.

The other way, would be to use NullEthernet. You could use the injector method of installation (to have it attach to your actual Ethernet PCI device), as described in the readme: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

Thank you very much. By your analysis, it is clear to me that Marvell Yukon LAN kext was installed via patched IONetworkingFamily.kext that messed up the the genuine airport wifi card. I had tried before just Marvell Yukon kext and it does not work.  Therefore, the only possible way is to try your NullEthernet with injector method of installation hopefully it will attach to actual PCIE Ethernet. I will report back to you. I will write back if I have any question regarding the injector method.

Thank you very much for your help.

What model is your Marvell ethernet? I had the 88E8056 for years, it always worked perfectly with a Legacy (plist only) Kext. I never needed to modify anything.

Yes, I should have mentioned this... If the only "patch" to a kext is editing the plist to add an extra device-id, then you should use an injector kext as Gringo mentions (Apple calls them "codeless kexts"), instead of modifying the actual kext. If there is a binary patch involved, then that is a different situation. But doing the "right thing" depends on having an understanding as to what is required.

• Like 1

What model is your Marvell ethernet? I had the 88E8056 for years, it always worked perfectly with a Legacy (plist only) Kext. I never needed to modify anything.

My Marvell Ethernet is 88E8056. Where can i get Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet Legacy (plist) only kext? 

I got mine from the following:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/35-marvell-yukon-88e8056-108-1085/

Marvell 88E8056 kext from above  worked perfectly. But it turned off my Atheros (9380) wi-fi card. I can see Wifi int the network set up but it's  shut-off permanently. I click turn wifi on nothing happened. Network name is grayed out. In my ML 10.8.5, Ethernet and Atheros wifi card coexists nicely and worked perfectly. 

@Gringo Vermelho & @RehabMan,

Thanks for your guys help by pointing to Legacy Yukon kext.. I used Legacy yukon kext by Styrian from the following:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294062-ethernet-card-marvell-yukon-88e8056-109-after-two-weeks-i-need-help/

Everything is fixed and no more App Store Problem. Legacy (Info plist or code-less kext) worked as it does not messed up IONetworkingFamily.kext. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you RehabMan!  Awesome kext work!  So grateful for this.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get access to the App Store before I stumbled upon your kext.

Here is a bit of background on what I did and something I noticed along the way that may help the next poor hackintosh n00b like myself.  I started with a pre-built Dell XPS 8000 (yes I know, I was asking for it).  I started with a retail SL disk.  I ran into more problems than I care to enumerate here so I'll just tell ya about what pertains to your kext.  I finally ended up with a booting 10.6.8 w/App store but could not log in.  The XPS 8000 has a builtin ethernet that is not supported and I have yet to find someone that has gotten it working.  I was able to use internet and update to 10.6.8 via the builtin WIFI that did work OOB (go figure that a WIFI works but not ethernet).

The problem then was I could not log in to the App store because the only network device OS X registered was the wifi and it assigned it to en0 but everything I tried could not force it to built in.  So I bought a USB ethernet dongle that is supported in OS X but still, neither this or the wifi would register as builtin regardless of what I did (pulled out WIFI and just had the USB dongle... plenty of plist updates and boot parameters tests...).

I then found your kext when I felt I was out of options (aside from buying a new PCI ethernet NIC).  I followed your instructions (DSDT method) but when I boot it said it failed to load your kext because it could not find the IONetworkingFamily dependency.  What I found was that I had version 1.1.0 of IONetworkingFamily installed with OS X 10.6.8 and your NullEthernet.kext required version 1.5.0 (or greater?).  So as a last resort I went into the Info.plist file for NullEthernet.kext and modified the version number for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily from 1.5.0 to 1.1.0.  I then was able to boot, remove NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/) to ensure this NullEthernet was en0... because it was eth1 on first boot due to USB ethernet dongle already set to en0, reboot again and App Store Login goodness!!!!!

Im now running Mavericks thanks to you!  I do still have to use this kext to access the App Store in Mavericks but it works just fine.

Thank you RehabMan!  Awesome kext work!  So grateful for this.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get access to the App Store before I stumbled upon your kext.

Here is a bit of background on what I did and something I noticed along the way that may help the next poor hackintosh n00b like myself.  I started with a pre-built Dell XPS 8000 (yes I know, I was asking for it).  I started with a retail SL disk.  I ran into more problems than I care to enumerate here so I'll just tell ya about what pertains to your kext.  I finally ended up with a booting 10.6.8 w/App store but could not log in.  The XPS 8000 has a builtin ethernet that is not supported and I have yet to find someone that has gotten it working.  I was able to use internet and update to 10.6.8 via the builtin WIFI that did work OOB (go figure that a WIFI works but not ethernet).

The problem then was I could not log in to the App store because the only network device OS X registered was the wifi and it assigned it to en0 but everything I tried could not force it to built in.  So I bought a USB ethernet dongle that is supported in OS X but still, neither this or the wifi would register as builtin regardless of what I did (pulled out WIFI and just had the USB dongle... plenty of plist updates and boot parameters tests...).

I then found your kext when I felt I was out of options (aside from buying a new PCI ethernet NIC).  I followed your instructions (DSDT method) but when I boot it said it failed to load your kext because it could not find the IONetworkingFamily dependency.  What I found was that I had version 1.1.0 of IONetworkingFamily installed with OS X 10.6.8 and your NullEthernet.kext required version 1.5.0 (or greater?).  So as a last resort I went into the Info.plist file for NullEthernet.kext and modified the version number for com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily from 1.5.0 to 1.1.0.  I then was able to boot, remove NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/)

to ensure this NullEthernet was en0... because it was eth1 on first boot due to USB ethernet dongle already set to en0, reboot again and App Store Login goodness!!!!!

Im now running Mavericks thanks to you!  I do still have to use this kext to access the App Store in Mavericks but it works just fine.

Weird. I based this off my fork of Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext sources... (just stripped everything away). And my build of RealtekRTL8111.kext, AFAIK, works on SL 10.6.8... although I haven't tested it in a while (maybe it doesn't anymore?). I'll do some more testing and see if changing the dependency to 1.1.0 is harmless on Lion/ML/Mavs.

Hello all :)

First I would like to thank RehabMan for making my laptop work very good on a not to be named forum, but as I am new to all this, I don't understand all the technical details of how to do this.

Would it maybe be possible if someone give me and others a more simplified explanation of how to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Weird. I based this off my fork of Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext sources... (just stripped everything away). And my build of RealtekRTL8111.kext, AFAIK, works on SL 10.6.8... although I haven't tested it in a while (maybe it doesn't anymore?). I'll do some more testing and see if changing the dependency to 1.1.0 is harmless on Lion/ML/Mavs.

still works :)

lowering down dependency will do no harm.

Someone please help,

i tried install nullethernet and i can login to appstore, but when login to icloud it said error "Accout limit reached"

I'm using USB WIFI to connect to internet

post-1322293-0-42009300-1396372803_thumb.jpg

post-1322293-0-87384600-1396372789_thumb.jpg

still works :)

lowering down dependency will do no harm.

is your icloud work, and how to ?

Hi, I installed NullEthernet kext and I can confirm that is working perfectly, It solved my App Store problem

To fully resolve the App Store problem I also needed to remove any interfaces and then adding them up so that the Ethernet is bound to the interface en0

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently using this, and it works, but I'd like to see if there's a way to do without it. Amongst other things, my interfaces get renamed every time I reboot:

post-465563-14002526472187_thumb.jpg

I haven't tested if the actual USB Ethernet adapter is functional in this setup.

I've got a compatible mPCIe AirPort card, and a genuine Apple USB Ethernet adapter. Ideally, I'd like to be able to access the App Store without a null kext or enabling my MBs Ethernet, any ideas?

I'm currently using this, and it works, but I'd like to see if there's a way to do without it. Amongst other things, my interfaces get renamed every time I reboot:

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1400252645077.jpg

I haven't tested if the actual USB Ethernet adapter is functional in this setup.

I've got a compatible mPCIe AirPort card, and a genuine Apple USB Ethernet adapter. Ideally, I'd like to be able to access the App Store without a null kext or enabling my MBs Ethernet, any ideas?

I don't understand the purpose of the screen shot...

But there is no way (that I know of) to enable Mac App Store access with only USB devices.

I don't understand the purpose of the screen shot...

But there is no way (that I know of) to enable Mac App Store access with only USB devices.

To show that my WiFi interface is getting renamed to USB Ethernet (and I've seen Ethernet become WiFi IIRC).

Ok thanks I'll see what I can figure out.

To show that my WiFi interface is getting renamed to USB Ethernet (and I've seen Ethernet become WiFi IIRC).

Use "Rename Service" from the gear menu to change the name to whatever you want.

I have, but it gets reverted upon reboot it seems.

Then something is damaged in your network config files. Read the README for how to remove network plist and start over.

• 1 month later...

Greetings, I'm hoping you're kext can help me, I'd been advised to try it out, but being new to this, I figure I'm missing something right in front of my face.

Here's the situation,  I've got a Macbook 2,1 (2006 model) that I bought as a refurb.  It works great, however initially i'd periodically get the infamous "computer cannot be verified" message, and now I always get it.   After a lot of research, working with Apple Tech support and finally verifying at an Apple store, the ethernet on my board has gone the way of the dodo.  So I've got two options at this point, hope your kext will work (the ethernet is not even seen by the computer) or track down a new logicboard.  With the current price I've seen them and the fact this model is a dead end (can't upgrade beyond lion) I'm hoping to get your kext to work.  

I've gotten the kext installed, but seem to have an issue getting the DSDT to patch properly.  I currently have OSX10.6.8, so I'm restricted to DSDT Editor.  I extract the DSDT, open the patch.txt, but when I attempt to compile, I get the following errors:

878 Error    Invalid combination of Length and Min/Max fixed flags

2705 Error  String must be entirely alphanumeric (smc-napa)

2721 Error  String must be entirely alphanumeric (smc-sms)

3556 Error   String must be entirely alphanumeric (media-notify)

Fixing the error appears to correct the 878, but not any of the others.  

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, I'm hoping you're kext can help me, I'd been advised to try it out, but being new to this, I figure I'm missing something right in front of my face.

Here's the situation,  I've got a Macbook 2,1 (2006 model) that I bought as a refurb.  It works great, however initially i'd periodically get the infamous "computer cannot be verified" message, and now I always get it.   After a lot of research, working with Apple Tech support and finally verifying at an Apple store, the ethernet on my board has gone the way of the dodo.  So I've got two options at this point, hope your kext will work (the ethernet is not even seen by the computer) or track down a new logicboard.  With the current price I've seen them and the fact this model is a dead end (can't upgrade beyond lion) I'm hoping to get your kext to work.  

I've gotten the kext installed, but seem to have an issue getting the DSDT to patch properly.  I currently have OSX10.6.8, so I'm restricted to DSDT Editor.  I extract the DSDT, open the patch.txt, but when I attempt to compile, I get the following errors:

878 Error    Invalid combination of Length and Min/Max fixed flags

2705 Error  String must be entirely alphanumeric (smc-napa)

2721 Error  String must be entirely alphanumeric (smc-sms)

3556 Error   String must be entirely alphanumeric (media-notify)

Fixing the error appears to correct the 878, but not any of the others.  

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you should always fix any errors that exist in your DSDT prior to attempting to patch it. And I would need to see the DSDT to discern the cause of the errors. Also, it is probably a good idea to use MaciASL on a computer capable of running it. There is a MaciASL available for Lion.

Finally, even once you patch your DSDT, you'll need some way to activate it. And the only way to use a patched DSDT on a real Mac is to make it into a hack (eg. install Clover or Chameleon as the bootloader). If the Ethernet device shows on the PCIe bus it will be much easier to simply create an injector kext instead of patching DSDT. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to see if the device is present on the bus.

Well, you should always fix any errors that exist in your DSDT prior to attempting to patch it. And I would need to see the DSDT to discern the cause of the errors. Also, it is probably a good idea to use MaciASL on a computer capable of running it. There is a MaciASL available for Lion.

Finally, even once you patch your DSDT, you'll need some way to activate it. And the only way to use a patched DSDT on a real Mac is to make it into a hack (eg. install Clover or Chameleon as the bootloader). If the Ethernet device shows on the PCIe bus it will be much easier to simply create an injector kext instead of patching DSDT. Use DPCIManager->PCI List to see if the device is present on the bus.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to see what I can figure out (only way to learn what the hell I'm doing, right?) though part of the problem is that without app store access, I can't get my Lion update anymore.  So I'm stuck using DSDT Editor for now.  I'll look into the DPCIManager as well.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to see what I can figure out (only way to learn what the hell I'm doing, right?) though part of the problem is that without app store access, I can't get my Lion update anymore.  So I'm stuck using DSDT Editor for now.  I'll look into the DPCIManager as well.

I don't understand what MAS access has to do with MaciASL, but ok...