GTX 650 TI not completely recognized

hinju

7 posts in this topic

Hey. 

I recently purchased a GTX 650 TI 2 gb (which is supposed to work OOB), and unfortunately its not working perfectly. I was upgrading my GTS 250 which was recognized by the system but was not giving me acceleration or ability to change resolution. 

I installed this new card, and disabled graphics enabler in chameleon wizard and rebooted. The system generically identified the card as an nvidia w. 3 mb of vram. When i turned graphics enabler = yes, it recognized the card but reports 0 mb of vram. I don't have any graphics card injectors. I don't see any DSDT edits for my build so I don't know why either card is giving me so much trouble when plenty of people report these cards work OOB. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get this working?! This is very frustrating. thanks. 

Specs:

Asus p8p67 pro rev 3.1

i7-2600k 3.4 ghz

EVGA Nvidia gtx 650 ti 2 gb ram (formerly evga nvidia gts 250 512 mb)

8 gb ram

Sorry, I have Maverick's installed.

Booting with -f did not help. Specifically the computer is reporting NVIDIA Chip Model 3 MB as the graphics card. 

I wonder if there is something basic I'm missing since both cards were not working natively. I've looked in my bios and do not really see anything editable regarding graphics. And my smbios is set to imac 13.1 which had geforce 650 listed as part of the build. 

• 7 months later...

I am having the same issue.  When GraphicsEnabler is set to No, then vram is picked up at 3 MB.  But if GraphicsEnabler is set to Yes, then the card model is picked up and vram is shown as 0 MB.

My card is a evga nvidia gtx 650 1 GB model.

This was working with 10.9.2 and I updated to 10.9.4.

If your card is reporting 0 MB of VRam with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, then it's likely a problem with Chameleon.

Try updating to a newer version of Chameleon to see if it has support for your card, otherwise you'll have to inject the correct properties into your DSDT for your card and not use GraphicsEnabler or you cloud try Clover boot loader to see if it supports your card.

I tried instaling a newer version of chameleon from here:

http://olarila.com/files/Bootloader/Chameleon/

But it still didn't detect it correctly.  I read that there was problems with 10.9.4 that 10.9.5 fixes with nvidia cards, so I will wait until then.

The chameleon version I used originally was the one included in myhack 3.3.1, which is svn 2266 I believe.

I reinstalled OS X and my boot settings were the following:

GraphicsEnabler=No
EthernetBuiltIn=Yes

I got 10.9.4 installed and it boots up just fine. It seems if I boot with PciRoot=1, then the display turns off. Running MyHack then afterwards removes the 3 problem extensions for me.

I also updated Chameleon and Generated the smbios using these tools:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257464-chameleon-wizard-utility-for-chameleon/