USB Sound Card and VoodooHDA have same problems

YungRaj

24 posts in this topic

I have posted in the chat about this problem, and since it didn't get solved I am going to bring it to the forum

USB Sound Card = http://www.amazon.com/Channel-External-Sound-Audio-Adapter/dp/B007HISGRW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389232335&sr=8-3&keywords=USB+Sound+Card

Audio Device = Realtek ALC892

Bootloader: Chameleon

BootFlags before attempts to fix: npci=0x2000 busratio=20 GraphicsEnabler=No

BootFlags after: -F amd_kernel busratio=20 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Putoro

Note: The USB Sound Card works fine on Other OS'es, including Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04

When I reinstalled Mavericks on 10.9.1 from 10.9 using Bronvoka's kernel http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3657-amd-fx-109-mavericks-kernel-nvidia-work/)

I was using my USB Sound Card at the time, and then after a while it would start to crackle noise. It wouldn't work right, it would play sound on and off

After I while I just used Mavericks without the USB Sound Card plugged in, and I would go about my business.

One day I just plug it in as a last resort to getting it to work. It starts working! Only unless I try to restart chrome after attempting to play music.

It was working fine until I wanted to roll back to 10.9.

I tried rolling back to 10.9 using the same kernel, this time it was the same thing but way worse.

The USB Sound Card would not play sound right with any quality, having the same clicking and popping and whatnot noise. When I started to look at the videos I was playing the music in, the video would terribly lag. I knew this wasn't normal, since I have a very powerful card.

So what someone of the support chat of this website said was to try to install VoodooHDA.kext.

So I did.

I finally got the kext working, getting it to notice the audio device, etc etc

When I tried playing music or any of the sounds on the system, SAME THING AS THE USB SOUND CARD

Crackling, popping, sounds sounding like it was bad connection to the device, but really not..

Again I tried getting help on the Support chat, and they suggested since I have an AMD Radeon Graphics Card, that might be the issue

I tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and I would get a memory allocation error (because I have an AMD Processor)

WHAT I ALSO TRIED IS USING A NEW KERNEL (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Patched_Kernels)

Andy V's kernel for 10.9  The second on the list for 10.9 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/173-109-kernel-xcpm-free/)

So what I tried doing is manually adding in my own set of boot flags

I TRIED WITHOUT NPCI and that led me to a white screen 

I tried everything in The ATIConfig, and Putoro led me to a successfull boot BUT NOT WITHOUT THE NPCI FLAG (0x2000)

After I thought that would let me be able to play sound properly, but AGAIN Putoro AND GE set to Yes would NOT GET MY USB SOUND CARD OR VOODOO WORKING

I tried playing with Mid AUDIO SETTINGS (especially setting to 414000). Not work 

I need some way to get one working because I think the problems in the quality of the output of sound are related..

And I believe the problems might be Graphics related but I am not sure

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Okay, first you need to actually ascertain if it is indeed something that needs a DSDT fix and if then, what fix does it need. Does the crackle happen more of then at any particular time?

Maybe it happens more when the mouse moves (IRQ clash with GPU), or when the system is under load, or when the HDD is being used heavily (Kext issue with IOPCI I think).

Just remove the forced IRQs from the DSDT and see if it helps, it's a simple edit, it's not like you need to take programming classes before you can do it. It's really no harder than editing a text document.

If it doesn't help, it certainly won't do any harm, and you'll learn something along the way.

Extract and open your DSDT in a DSDT editor, use the search function in the editor to find the devices (HPET, TIMR, RTC and so on) mentioned in the topic that I linked to, find the forced IRQs and remove them.

If you run into trouble with that (like compiling errors) I or someone else will help you right here.

No, that's not going to end well!

You find the corresponding code as it is in your own DSDT and remove the forced IRQs.

Use the navigator to the left to run through the code and find the HPET, RTC, TIMR (etc) devices.

You can try searching for them by name...but they might not have the same name..

DSDT Editor has a search function, use it

Also, not methods, devices. You're looking for devices.

Device (HPET), Device (PIC), Device (TIMR), Device (RTC). See? it's not complicated.

The names used in your DSDT might not be the same.

Identify those devices and simply remove (example):

IRQNoFlags ()
{2}

All you need to do is remove the forced IRQs. Do not under any circumstances copy anything from the article. Those code snippets are just examples. They're not for you to use. You must edit your own.

Look more closely at the "Before" - "After" code examples in the article (ignore the HPET for now). You will notice that they are completely identical. Except the code that I listed above was removed.

So don't copy anything. Just remove the forced IRQs.

It's really very simple, the hardest part is identifying the devices mentioned, if they aren't named exactly the same as in the examples given.

Yes, for the devices mentioned in the guide. I repeat: Your devices may be named differently. If you can't match by device name, try matching something else....look for a device that looks exactly the same..

{2} is just an example, it can also be 8 or another number.

Better to just put "IRQNoFlags{}" in the search box and see what pops up. Then click "Next" to find the next instance.

Try removing the forced IRQs from your HPET device, the point is letting OS X figure out which ones it wants to use. This usually works better.

First save, then compile.

The copy the resulting dsdt.aml to /Extra and you're done.

If there is a problem (which there shouldn't be) with booting, then you can type DSDT=none at the Chameleon boot prompt to skip loading the DSDT.

I advise that you keep a copy of your clean, unmodified DSDT - if you extract your DSDT after booting with the modified DSDT loaded, you will (surprise) extract the already modified DSDT.

EDIT

Really? You had no compiling errors??

You ignored my question about your serial port, I'm going to assume that you're not using it.. them.. looks like your board has two...

Your original DSDT is an ACPI table that's part of your BIOS. We are overriding this table with dsdt.aml.

Chameleon loads dsdt.aml so that OS X sees the contents of this file instead of your DSDT ACPI table, which is safe and sound and can be extracted again whenever you want, there are various methods.

One of which is to boot without loading DSDT.aml :)

Here it is with serial ports and PS2 devices removed.

I also removed the forced IRQs from the HPET that you left in and fixed a ton of compiling errors.

dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 1

It was worth a try I think. Leave this one in /Extra, either way it's better for OS X use than it was before we edited it.

Disable PS2 mouse/keyboard and serial ports in your BIOS.

If you can disable floppy drive and parallel port, kill those too.

Make sure your HPET is set to 64-bit if such a setting is available, also in the BIOS.

I think it's related to your patched kernel. Study the topic linked below, see if anyone else has the same problem. Also there might be a better kernel available.

I can't help you any further, I haven't used a patched kernel since I ran Leopard 10.5 on my Pentium 4 several years ago.

I know there are kernel flags that help with timing issues but I don't remember anything anymore, besides there might be lots of new stuff that I don't know about either.

Go here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/

Leave the BIOS settings like I told you and use the DSDT that I patched, I know it didn't improve your sound situation but for other potential issues what we have done here is better than how it was before.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm using clover high current seems fix mic make noise.

this problem happened when I use ATR4600 mic and iGrado Headphone at same times on Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS.Seems like it's Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS's bug.only plug ATR 4600 on Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter, C-Media Chipset, RoHS doesn't have noise,but have pop.the HS-100B does not have this problem.