Basic graphics card that works out-of-box?

warduck

12 posts in this topic

What would you suggest is a good basic card that works OOB on Mavericks? It should be generally available online and not require any tweaking (with kext's, boot flags, DSDT). Price would be secondary.

I bought a GeForce 210 based on info from wiki.osx86project.org and it's not going well and the card requires GE=yes.

Any feedback appreciated!

Edit: PCI-E

Thanks for your replies! I checked the prices of cards in the 600 series and they start at US$100, which is quite more than I'd like to spend. But if they are the most compatible, then I'll have no other choice.

In terms of 6000 series, there is only GeForce 6200 available and this is AGP/PCI only. Sorry, I should have mentioned PCI-E.

Thanks for your replies! I checked the prices of cards in the 600 series and they start at US$100, which is quite more than I'd like to spend. But if they are the most compatible, then I'll have no other choice.

In terms of 6000 series, there is only GeForce 6200 available and this is AGP/PCI only. Sorry, I should have mentioned PCI-E.

Oh I'm sorry, what you said would include the GT 600 series which is a lot more affordable. I also stumbled across this thread with similar discussion.

Hi Gringo, thanks. I read the wikipedia page and the only way I could identify a Kepler card is if the code name starts with 'GK'. The GT 640 has five different revisions, four of them with GK code names. The one I linked to should be Kepler-based and mentions it in the description.