Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H - Mavericks installer won't boot

InfiniteFool

11 posts in this topic

I've been trying to install Mavericks on my machine (see specs below), and so far I haven't been able to get the installer to boot. I made a boot disk using the standard methods, but every time I try to boot the installer it flashes the Apple logo for a second and then reboots. I've tried many different boot flags to no avail. I'm using the latest version of Chameleon, so that's not the issue. I'm currently running 10.8.4 with no issues. My processor is an Ivy Bridge model, so I don't think that's the issue, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

Hello

Boot with -v and post a image, is the best way to help you.

I recommend you continue follow standard methods, Myhack to me, isn't best choice.

Did you use all necessary kexts in your usb installer? like FakeSMC and NullCPUPM.

motherboard? bios? video card?

have you try MyHack?

All of my specs are in my sig. Here they are again, for convenience:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H motherboard

Core i7-3770K processor

Gigabyte GTX 780

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) SDRAM

Yes, I've tried myhack.

Hello

Boot with -v and post a image, is the best way to help you.

I recommend you continue follow standard methods, Myhack to me, isn't best choice.

Did you use all necessary kexts in your usb installer? like FakeSMC and NullCPUPM.

-v is no good. It reboots too fast for me to see what it's doing.

hello

maybe u graphics...

must boot with GE=No

or try only to boot with the hd 4000

good hack

I've tried GraphicsEnabler=No. I haven't tried booting with the integrated graphics, but I doubt that would work - I was never able to get it to boot with integrated on Mountain Lion. I might give it a shot though. Like I said, Mountain Lion worked fine with my GTX 780.

hello

nah

if it work good in ML.. i'm sure no problems in Mavs...

u are doing something wrong...

and about hd 4000 , same thing.. u must set the right ig-platform-id to u config..

good hack

hello

nah

if it work good in ML.. i'm sure no problems in Mavs...

u are doing something wrong...

and about hd 4000 , same thing.. u must set the right ig-platform-id to u config..

good hack

Ok, well, any idea what that could be? Mountain Lion worked fine without any modifications necessary. Even my GTX 780 worked perfectly OOB. What could I be doing wrong?

Update: so, I believe I know why Mavericks wasn't booting, but I don't know the solution. Apparently Chameleon was not loading from the flash drive. It was loading the Chameleon loader that was already present on my SSD, which is not the newest version, so that's probably why it wasn't loading Mavericks. I also discovered that my SSD is not being run using UEFI, as I had thought. When I switch to UEFI-only, it won't boot. So that means it's only using Legacy. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I'm wondering if that's somehow related to the flash drive not working.

So the question now is, why won't Chameleon on the flash drive boot?

EDIT: It occurs to me that I could install the newer version of Chameleon onto my SSD and boot from that instead, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it (just for the moment). I'm also wondering: what happens if you install Chameleon to a drive that already has another version of Chameleon present?

• 2 weeks later...

For the benefit of anyone having similar problems, I thought I ought to share my experience. It turns out the problem was due to a stupid mistake on my part. I had set my BIOS to boot the flash drive which contained the Mavericks installer using the generic USB drive option. It turns out, that option doesn't actually boot the USB drive for some reason. It took me a while to figure out this was happening at all, because I didn't realize the my machine was booting off of the already-installed Chameleon bootloader on my SSD. So, it turns out that I needed to manually select the drive via the boot selector by pressing F12. This allowed me to boot from the USB drive.

A couple other problems I encountered. Initially the screen would shut off after booting. This was solved by booting with GraphicsEnabler=No. Also, once I got it to boot, it initially showed a grey screen with a cursor for what seemed like a long time. However, after about 2 minutes or so the installer loaded, so all that was needed was patience. It also required the Atheros kext for the ethernet to work properly. Other than that, everything seems to be working fine. I'm happy with it so far.

To mods: I accidentally posted this in the Post-Installation forum. Could you please move it to the Installation forum?