30'' displays support

14 posts in this topic

i'm too wish to have a exactly Dell 30 inch display =)

i like them much more ACD..... because they black =)) and have a vertical adjustment... and sure they cost less.

i don't know how they connected - one or two cables? i nothing know about big displays .. yet.. =)

what about MBP ? they support 30 inch displays. they have one cable output... this is mean if you have any 30 inch display - you can connect it to MBP.... with one cable...

we need someone to test .......

i'm too wish to have a exactly Dell 30 inch display =)

i like them much more ACD..... because they black =)) and have a vertical adjustment... and sure they cost less.

i don't know how they connected - one or two cables? i nothing know about big displays .. yet.. =)

what about MBP ? they support 30 inch displays. they have one cable output... this is mean if you have any 30 inch display - you can connect it to MBP.... with one cable...

we need someone to test .......

the 30" display doesn't use two cables, the graphics card must support dual-link dvi, which is basically one dvi cable with twice the bandwidth. the mbp has this type of connector, that's why they can connect to a 30" with one cable. so when you are getting a graphics card that you want to use one of these displays with, you need to make sure it supports dual-link dvi.

What is the pixel resolution of one of these displays?

the 30" apple cinema display has an optimal resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels.

the 30" apple cinema display has an optimal resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels.

Dell 30" have the same resolution.

i think all 30" displays have the same optimal resolution.

the graphics card must support dual-link dvi

there is a lot of Ati x1600/1800/1900 series cards supported dual link DVI.

but will it work with hackintosh?

Dell 30" have the same resolution.

i think all 30" displays have the same optimal resolution.

there is a lot of Ati x1600/1800/1900 series cards supported dual link DVI.

but will it work with hackintosh?

Nope... not at the moment. I checked different outputs and such with no luck at all. Matter of fact that is a big reason I'm going legit with a Mac Pro.

ALSO FYI....

The Dell 30" is the EXACT same LCD at the Apple. The Dell mon has more features and is much more adjustable. I will have one on Friday :)

ALSO FYI....

The Dell 30" is the EXACT same LCD at the Apple.

yeah, i know.

20" and 30" models from Dell and Apple are the same, but 24" Dell is not S-IPS panel...

did picture quality of 24" Dell is so good as 20" or 30" models or Apple displays?

i ask this because it have another matrix type.

Samsung PVA (24" Dell) VS LG.Philips S-IPS (all Apple displays and 20", 30" Dells)

i have read some bad reviews exactly about this 24" Dell model

about jittery screen, lines that moves up and down even on A02 rev of this model.

and another one question - what display type in 24" iMac ??

i only find this

"This model has a 24.0" TFT widescreen active matrix display with a native resolution of 1920x1200. Apple also reports a "typical" brightness of 400 cd/m, contrast ratio of 700:1, and viewing angle of 178 degrees horizontal and 178 degrees vertical."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac...inch-specs.html

technical characteristics is the same as 23" ACD.

I will have one on Friday

congrats Wayland !! =) this is the best display you can buy ... my opinion... =)

yeah, i know.

20" and 30" models from Dell and Apple are the same, but 24" Dell is not S-IPS panel...

did picture quality of 24" Dell is so good as 20" or 30" models or Apple displays?

i ask this because it have another matrix type.

Samsung PVA (24" Dell) VS LG.Philips S-IPS (all Apple displays and 20", 30" Dells)

i have read some bad reviews exactly about this 24" Dell model

about jittery screen, lines that moves up and down even on A02 rev of this model.

and another one question - what display type in 24" iMac ??

i only find this

"This model has a 24.0" TFT widescreen active matrix display with a native resolution of 1920x1200. Apple also reports a "typical" brightness of 400 cd/m, contrast ratio of 700:1, and viewing angle of 178 degrees horizontal and 178 degrees vertical."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac...inch-specs.html

technical characteristics is the same as 23" ACD.

congrats Wayland !! =) this is the best display you can buy ... my opinion... =)

My dad just bought a 24" and I will have my 30" so I will do a little comparison for ya :) The 24 looks great, from what he has now. The only thing that sucks for the 30" the dual link switch is $370!!!!

I heard rumor that someone was able to get full res on a hackintosh for the 30", but no QE or CI, so what's the point in that really? I neeeed those functions.

I have a dell 30 inch and MAC/PC ATI radeaon 9600 pro with 256 Mbyte of ram

Deafult 10.4.7 (jas) don't see thos video card

but whith callisto driver, i can use it by Dell 21"

and all work (resolution and frequency)

but

if I run by dell 30" the frequency are wrong... (blank screen)

Detection resolution are correct (i see it by boot -v -x)

but don't run propertly :-(((

anyone can help me to use Dell 30 inch on hackintosh?

kind regards

read at the end of the page

http://www.apple.com/displays/

1. The 30-inch Apple Cinema Display is supported by all models of the Mac Book Pro and MacBook (with optional adapter) computers and by the 17-inch PowerBook G4 and the 1.67GHz 15-inch PowerBook G4 with 128MB of graphics memory and dual-link DVI functionality.

it is interesting.

maybe this is misprint ???

or maybe this is really adapter, like this http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2731, and with it you can use 30" display with GMA950... but this model support maximum resolution 2560x1024 ... which is not for 30" ...

this is for two 1280*1024...

one more adapter

http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/techspecs.html

it too can fit only 23" display - not for 30"..

I have a dell 30 inch and MAC/PC ATI radeaon 9600 pro with 256 Mbyte of ram

Deafult 10.4.7 (jas) don't see thos video card

but whith callisto driver, i can use it by Dell 21"

and all work (resolution and frequency)

but

if I run by dell 30" the frequency are wrong... (blank screen)

Detection resolution are correct (i see it by boot -v -x)

but don't run propertly :-(((

anyone can help me to use Dell 30 inch on hackintosh?

kind regards

The 30" monitor is EXTREMELY specific in how it uses the Dual Link Capabilities and power output from the video card. A hackintosh simple doesn't have the driver support yet to handle the 30" models.

read at the end of the page

http://www.apple.com/displays/

1. The 30-inch Apple Cinema Display is supported by all models of the Mac Book Pro and MacBook (with optional adapter) computers and by the 17-inch PowerBook G4 and the 1.67GHz 15-inch PowerBook G4 with 128MB of graphics memory and dual-link DVI functionality.

it is interesting.

maybe this is misprint ???

or maybe this is really adapter, like this http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2731, and with it you can use 30" display with GMA950... but this model support maximum resolution 2560x1024 ... which is not for 30" ...

this is for two 1280*1024...

one more adapter

http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/techspecs.html

it too can fit only 23" display - not for 30"..

They are refering to: Requires Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter, M9321G/A)

The 30" Model will work, but not at maximum resolution. If you read the tech specs they will show you that on there. It's kinda screwy of them to get your hopes up on the first page though :D

---------------

Also a few notes for those who are considering a Dell 30", I just recently got one and have it hooked up to my Dual Link Switcher from Gefen.... by the way you need a special switcher for such high resolutions!!! Anyway, the output of the Mac Pro overpowers the switcher and it was not able to send a successful signal to the monitor. I had to get a DVI detective and program it for the monitor and then remove the internal programming chip so that the mac pro's power output would not overpower the switch or the detective and reset it's settings. Gefen now knows about the issue and hopefully will resolve it. I suggest anyone to get the DVI detective if they are going to go with a switcher. The reason behind that is that OSX shuts off the signal to the monitor and it takes a while to resync if you use the switcher for back and forth. What can be done with software on the PC, must be done with hardware for the mac. Needless to say the whole cost of switching dual link is expensive.

The switcher runs about 370 and the dvi detective is about 65-70. It's not cheap, but switcher are very good at losing quality, the gefen is good in keeping it, with lots of micro adjustments.

ALSO, the switcher doesn't like resolutions under 2560x1600, so don't expect to downgrade your signal.